Richards Microfit Gunstocks

Aaron N

AH legend
Joined
Nov 18, 2014
Messages
3,044
Reaction score
5,079
Location
Alberta, Canada
Media
7
Articles
2
Hunting reports
Africa
2
Hunted
Canada, South Africa
Does anyone have any experience with these stocks? They seem to have some good pricing right now on exhibition grade Claro Walnut.


http://www.rifle-stocks.com/
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 4.18.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-12-27 at 4.18.08 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 1,059
You'll get some that say they're junk and others that say they love them. I only have experience with one, inletted for a Remington 700 short action. The barrel channel was centered, the action and magazine inletting were good but the external finish was rough and required finishing. The stock was made from a walnut blank that was sent to them.
 
I’ve read so many mixed reviews, it’s hard to know what’s what.
 
I’ve read so many mixed reviews, it’s hard to know what’s what.
If you're handy with wood tools and have time, the microfits are a good option. If you're looking for a drop-in and shoot, probably good to look elsewhere for a stock.
 
I have built 6-7 guns with there stocks. They are very rough and require a lot of final fitting and finishing. If you enjoy woodworking they are a good option but NOT a drop in.
 
I have built 6-7 guns with there stocks. They are very rough and require a lot of final fitting and finishing. If you enjoy woodworking they are a good option but NOT a drop in.

Do they seem like good chunks of wood for the price?
 
Do they seem like good chunks of wood for the price?
Yes I have been happy with them. It has been a couple years sense I bought any. There shipping time were long and there communication was not the best but there product I liked. I will try to post some pictures later.
 
For some reason they do not ship to adresses outside US anylonger.
 
Boyds offers wood upgrades and are more of a drop in stock
 
For some reason they do not ship to adresses outside US anylonger.

They emailed me saying they will ship to Canada for a $95 shipping and exporting fee.
 
Boyds offers wood upgrades and are more of a drop in stock

Agree.

I’ve got Boyd’s on multiple rifles and only had to do very minor fitting on one ever. All others were drop in.

I’ve got Boyd’s stocks on a Winchester 70, 2x ruger Americans, and a 98 Mauser. One of the rugers required a little tinkering to get the box mag to catch and release properly.. that’s it..

Barrel Chanel’s have all been straight and centered, actions have fit in nice and snug, bolt holes all perfectly placed, etc...
 
I bought one of their laminated stocks for a 50 year old Win M52 that had been rebarrelled to bull barrel and a Canjar trigger, converted to single shot. It was "semi-inletted" which was the only way I could get a stock that would work, particularly with no magazine cut-out. I don't recall there being very much effort to bed it. I consider it a good stock and a reputable company, although that was about 15 years ago.
 
Only once from them, for a 1903 Springfield sporter, many years ago. I was pleased with it but cant remember how much work it was. I still have the rifle.
 
I have one on my 35 Whelen and another on a 22-250. Both very nice pieces of wood & great value for the money. I'll be ordering another soon.
 
My experiences with both: I just purchased a semi-finish (as in inletting and shaping are about 75% so final fitting and shaping is up to the purchaser) stock for a 98 Krag from Richards - told them what I wanted and they did it. No complaints. On the other hand, I've bought three stocks from Boyds and all have had issues even their "finished" "drop in" stock.

CB
 
I've used their semi-inlets on 3 rifles and have been happy with each of them. The wood quality is actually quite good. I've bought higher-grade wood each time and they have been just as described by Richard's. They don't claim to offer finished, drop in stocks. I've found that their 99% press fit inletting (not available for all actions...but most of the common ones) to require very little work to get them to fit the barreled action. The outside of the stock is rough shaped and requires a fair amount of hand work to smooth them out and finished with whatever oil or synthetic you choose. I figure that I've spent 20 hours each on completing them. It's worth the effort....and I like to work with wood.
 
Does anyone have any experience with these stocks? They seem to have some good pricing right now on exhibition grade Claro Walnut.


http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

Why not get. Gunsmith or someone who is great at wood turning to make you a stock?
Obviously you’d need to choose the wood etc but measurements for the stock and made to measure for your size and fit would be paramount I would think [emoji4]
If you want a synthetic stock I’m sure that an injection mounding biz could do that and make it to your requirements and fit.
 
This is Richards stock.

20170810_010508099_iOS.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I put Richards stocks on two of my rifles: a laminated one on my Rem 700 SS .375 RUM, and a AA Fancy Claro Walnut one on my .300 Weatherby Vanguard. It took them several months to ship the Walnut one, and the one they shipped WAS NOT the grade of AA Fancy like they advertised. I called them and they agreed to send me a different stock. The second one was AA Fancy and I am very satisfied with the finished stock.

I pillar and glass bedded both of these stocks and I hand checkered both of them with my favorite multi-panel wrap around patterns.
nIydQfU.jpg


ExSCxdk.jpg


3RIG05c.jpg


n9jjkK4.jpg
 

Attachments

  • n9jjkK4.jpg
    n9jjkK4.jpg
    821.1 KB · Views: 1,718
  • ExSCxdk.jpg
    ExSCxdk.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 2,458
  • cqKN68G.jpg
    cqKN68G.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 788
  • 3RIG05c.jpg
    3RIG05c.jpg
    589 KB · Views: 1,380
Last edited by a moderator:
Why not get. Gunsmith or someone who is great at wood turning to make you a stock?
Obviously you’d need to choose the wood etc but measurements for the stock and made to measure for your size and fit would be paramount I would think [emoji4]
If you want a synthetic stock I’m sure that an injection mounding biz could do that and make it to your requirements and fit.

Reviving an old thread here!

They offer and exhibition grade stock finished 98% for cheaper than one can generally buy a blank.

the question is the quality, and accuracy of their grading!
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,363
Messages
1,574,237
Members
169,981
Latest member
FabianPoun
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top