Regulating an over/under in 9,3x74R

• Thread starter Deleted member 13924
  • Start date
Hillbilly, with that last two point something inch group I think you should be well satisfied. Doubles are not tack drivers, get out and enjoy the thing for what it is man! My Verney Carron O/U 375 Flanged Magnum does no better than that and it is brand new! Go get some biltong, and if you hit the left of the heart or the right of the heart who cares. Now, forget the groups, post a picture of this fine rifle for us.

Maybe before you re-regulate, try Woodleigh FMJ and or the same shaped soft and see what you get. They have the shape of vintage Kynoch rounds and may just work out for you. Many double users load Woodleighs because they regulate.
That is true of British rifles built before and shortly after WWII. However, the vast majority of Continental rifles were regulated with RWS ammunition (Austria is obviously Continental). Since the eighties, I suspect far more doubles produced anywhere have been regulated with Barnes than all others combined.

My Verney was regulated with 300gr Woodleighs.

Hillbilly, with that last two point something inch group I think you should be well satisfied. Doubles are not tack drivers, get out and enjoy the thing for what it is man! My Verney Carron O/U 375 Flanged Magnum does no better than that and it is brand new! Go get some biltong, and if you hit the left of the heart or the right of the heart who cares. Now, forget the groups, post a picture of this fine rifle for us.
That 58gr load is usable with open sights out to 50 meters are so. HOWEVER, if you can find someone who regulates doubles in SA, then that 57 gr load is what you are looking for. Have those printing together at 100 meters and you will have an awesome OU rifle.

I thought he was looking for ideas. I didn't know you had to be god to have one. Don't worry I won't bother from now on.

Progress report...

I tested a few more loads with the 230gr GS Custom bullet and increasing loads of S321. They got slightly better then started moving apart.
So I now have 2 options with this bullet/powder combo...

Option 1 is I can pick one load, which would be 60gr powder (I have not posted a pic of the results, but it was the best) and then play with seating depths and see where it goes,

Or, option two is to take the best load in the bottom barrel and the best load in the top barrel and load each as such. Effectively I will have two loads, the load that performed the best in each barrel.
Now I'm sure there are may out there who will say that is just not cricket! A double rifle should take one load and it should shoot acceptably in both barrels. I would agree with them.
But I must face reality, and it seems my rifles barrels don't point in the same direction for some or other reason.
The solution is to get them re-regulated by a gunsmith. But this is a costly fix, which I cannot afford.

So I have decided to go for option two, and load up two rounds for each barrel. The load that performed best in each barrel during all the testing (closest to POA).
I have given this much thought and the chances of me ever having to face a charging dangerous animal, with this rifle, are very very small.
Besides, I have another rifle which I use for that. And, in this country it is illegal to hunt dangerous game with a 9,3mm anyway, so this rifle has been confined to biltong hunting (plains game). Thus I cannot foresee my self ever being faced with a charge, in a time constrained, under pressure reloading situation with this rifle. I will probably have time to reload and still be cognacent of what I'm doing, and thus get the correct round into the correct barrel for follow up shots, if need be. And with practise and and correct placement of rounds in my ammo belt, it will become second nature.

So I loaded up 4 rounds, and I moved back to 60m, which is the distance I have decided I want this rifle to perform best at and be "regulated" at.
Attached below is the result of 4 shots, 2 from each barrel, from 60m. I think the far right shot was just me.
This group was under 70mm (2,7inches) at 60m. If the far right "flyer" was in fact me, the group would have been under 2 inches at 60m.
I'm happy with that :)

I will continue to test, with different seating depths of these two loads (as the bullet manufacturer recommends), just to see if the groups close up. But that will have to wait till lock down is finished, because I'm now out of bullets :LOL:

In the mean time I have acquired some 180gr Impala monolithics which I am going to test tomorrow, just to see what they do in my rifle...
Will post the results when I have them.

HB.
Why are you using S321 powder?

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross