Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI Badgerland Chapter, NRA, Local Sportsmen's Club
Hunted
South Africa, Tanzania
As someone who tries to wring every last bit of accuracy out of a rifle, I am now considering purchasing the Redding Type-S bushing die and Competition Seating die to load for my .300 Win Mag. I am currently using RCBS dies and am averaging 1.25 inch c-to-c groups with Nosler Partitions and Federal brass.

I've checked bullet run-out and it's not great with the RCBS dies.

The Redding dies are a little "spendy", so I thought I should ask: Do they really make as much difference in accuracy as advertised? (Would you recommend them?)

Thanks in advance for your advice.

- browningbbr

Hi browningbbr
have you many different powders have you tried? redding make a great dies i use them. the bushing type are good but, they are depend on the neck size of the brass you are using. i use the neck size die to help with accurcy , what bullet weights are you using??

Merlin,

I'm loading a 180gn Nosler Partition. I've tested RL22, IMR4350, IMR4831 and RL19 powders. I've tested 0.010" and 0.020" off the lands. IMR 4831 at 0.020" was the best. Headspacing is 0.002". I've been using the RCBS full length sizing die without the expander ball because I found that it was hurting run-out. This helped accuracy and got me to a 1.25" average. Previously, it was 1.52"

- browningbbr

PS: I just got the barrel back from being cryo-treated. I'll also have to see if that helped any with a "known" load. I keep records on group size, velocity, air temp, wind velocity, wind direction, etc when testing reloads off the bench.

Hi browningbbr
I looked in the nosler reloading manual it says rl 22 is the most accurate powder tested , it is also a compressed load. are you using magnum primers? have you tried just neck sizing using your full length die. also i use at least two wind flags when load testing it is will help getting smaller groups.
how do you work a load up start with the middle load weight and work up .5 gr at a time?

Merlin:

RL22 shows as most accurate in my Nosler manual as well. However, 4381 was more accurate in testing with my rifle. I've found that each rifle has its own preference.

I start by testing the "starting load". If I don't see any pressure issues in the fired brass, I then try the "max load". If it shown no issues, I then work up from the bottom or down from the top in 0.5gn increments depending on which is most accurate.

The range at my club has trees lining both sides. It's a great wind break. I don't test for group unless I'm getting less than 2 mph on the velometer at the bench, at 50 yds and at the target.

I'm using CCI 250 primers. They are a large magnum rifle primer.

Back to Type-S dies: Do you recommend them?

Thanks!

- browningbbr

i have only use the bushing type die in my 6mm ppc that is only after i have neck turned the brass. I use a redding neck sizeing(sp?) die for getting the most out of my reloads .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andresonjames29

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.