Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA, NA Hunt Club
Hunted
Tanzania, Botswana, Zimbabwe (2), Namibia (2), South Africa (2)
Here is one you dont see often, first I have ever seen.

Post '64 Super Grade, only made in '72-73 according to Roger Rule's book. My SN dates to '71 but likely just pulled from the stack to make a rifle sold in '72.

It was a replacement model for the discontinued Deluxe model and the two rifles are nearly identical with most of the same features. The SG was shortly itself discontinued as Winchester kept upgrading the standard rifle until eventually it became the XTR and looks very similar to the SG.

Features of this rifle include SG marked floorplate, pre 64 style wavy line pattern on top of receiver, fancy walnut, wrap around forearm checkering, real ebony fore end tip and thin black rubber Winchester butt pad. and jeweled bolt and mag follower.

Only real difference I can tell in pictures from the SG and Deluxe model of the same time period is that on the Deluxe the stock ends up longer because for some reason Win didnt shorten the fore end to keep the same overall length when adding the black tip, so you ended up with a long fore arm on that model. The SG compensated for the tip by keeping the stock at standard length. An odd thing really.

Came with an old Redfield 4x scope with loose parts inside, so I had this older Red off another rifle ready to slap on, its the perfect complement to a '70s rifle.

It arrived sans barrel sights but I had already found and ordered the correct sights and had them on in a jiffy. Well after having to fight to get the little plug screws out which a PO had thought to install with Loctite! Not sure why that seemed like a good idea.....took heat, sweat and cussing to get them out! It was the cussing that really did it though, I'm certain of that!
Here is a few pics of this one just arrived, .270 Winchester caliber.
IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2979.JPG

IMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

IMG_2982.JPG

IMG_2985.JPG

Have had a bunch of them and they can be dang good rifles. Usually shoot really well.

I would be curious to know if any members have owned this model or the earlier Deluxe model, which were made in the mid to late 60's.

Great looking rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LauriMolon

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!