Quarter rib recommendations

I am pretty good at finding the end of the neck with micrometer:) Tim uses his lathe, dial indicator and it is really easy to see where the linear taper ends and the neck radius begins. Then 3D print before cutting chips.
Another consideration with the 2nd step to the breech is how it mates up. Mine has the same radius as the action ring and height, so a seamless fit.
 
Last edited:
I’m looking for recommendations for gunsmiths that do quarter ribs. I’ve seen a few designs I like but would also like to see more options of ribs and elongated rear sight bases some members have had done. Thank you in advance for the information and photos.
I learn something every day on AH! So many times, we use jargon that maybe not everyone knows exactly what it means. For me for example can someone post pictures of a "quarter rip versus say the other sight kind that goes on a Heym please? I just do not understand the difference or what it looks like when the word is used. Thanks!!!
 
Well, when I made the designs, I found many different styles and looks, some short and fat, some long and skinny:)
Perhaps better to question its purpose. Obviously, a rear sight base. And in the olden days of 1 standing, 4-5 folding leaves, having that long tail gives proportion.
Me, I subscribed to the sighting plane theory, particularly with a square bridge action. Does it work? Who knows, but if they can have folding leaves out to 500 yds…
 
Last edited:
Well, when I made the designs, I found many different styles and looks, some short and fat, some long and skinny:)
Perhaps better to question its purpose. Obviously, a rear sight base. And in the olden days of 1 standing, 4-5 folding leaves, having that long tail gives proportion.
Me, I subscribed to the sighting plane theory, particularly with a square bridge action. Does it work? Who knows, but if they can have folding leaves out to 500 yds…
Thinking (critically) about your reply I would imagine the original quarter rib was probably a flat plane that extended from the front of the receiver ring to the rear sight giving the shooter an idea of rifle angle (positive or negative) in perspective to the front sight- just a guess though. Regardless of purpose, if anything, they sure look good!
 
How do you guys think it would work/look on a old m77 mk2 that has no irons?
 
@SkullKeeper
that is the idea. But as my previous post mentions, the early qribs are all over the place!

Maybe we should consider a custom AH quarter rib:) I imagine would be like herding cats
but would be willing to try.

Here is my model 70 375HH stainless (cerakote). Being an retired engineer, I lean to math and logic with a little bit of art, to combine all of the consideration.

1784315810557.jpeg


and a few examples of early qrib from my files:


1784314864539.jpeg

1784314894512.jpeg


1784314932689.jpeg


1784314960592.jpeg


1784314985582.jpeg


1784315008138.jpeg


1784315047756.jpeg


1784315107009.jpeg


1784315147180.jpeg


1784315178339.jpeg

1784315205552.jpeg


1784315258187.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • 1784315070436.jpeg
    1784315070436.jpeg
    95.4 KB · Views: 73
@SkullKeeper
that is the idea. But as my previous post mentions, the early qribs are all over the place!

Maybe we should consider a custom AH quarter rib:) I imagine would be like herding cats
but would be willing to try.

Here is my model 70 375HH stainless (cerakote). Being an retired engineer, I lean to math and logic with a little bit of art, to combine all of the consideration.

View attachment 777773

and a few examples of early qrib from my files:


View attachment 777750
View attachment 777751

View attachment 777752

View attachment 777753

View attachment 777754

View attachment 777755

View attachment 777756

View attachment 777758

View attachment 777759

View attachment 777761
View attachment 777762

View attachment 777763
Thank you for these examples - you’re right about “all over the place”. I had a 375 once where there was a space about 3/4” between the receiver ring and the start of the qrib. I can’t say I liked the looks of but it was great for carrying in hand - my thumb fit right in there for a nonslip grip.
 
@SkullKeeper
that is the idea. But as my previous post mentions, the early qribs are all over the place!

Maybe we should consider a custom AH quarter rib:) I imagine would be like herding cats
but would be willing to try.

Here is my model 70 375HH stainless (cerakote). Being an retired engineer, I lean to math and logic with a little bit of art, to combine all of the consideration.

View attachment 777773

and a few examples of early qrib from my files:


View attachment 777750
View attachment 777751

View attachment 777752

View attachment 777753

View attachment 777754

View attachment 777755

View attachment 777756

View attachment 777758

View attachment 777759

View attachment 777761
View attachment 777762

View attachment 777763
Thanks!!!
 
Another example (a very fine rifle for sale here:)
32mm objective. Due to the scope base height, he could not get the sight plane and still have the objective clear. Hence the first step down in our design to clear 42mm objective with Talley med. Rings.

1785002486070.png
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,356
Messages
1,574,051
Members
169,891
Latest member
KrystalTre
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

jnelson wrote on Jjhog's profile.
might think about getting these bullets to me
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top