Please I.D. these bases

It’s a custom .416 Taylor. I have a .375 also. I really like them and they are great shooters. I need to get scopes/red dot on them though as my eyes aren’t what they used to be.
love the chatfield-taylor as i've said before. lol the 375 isn't too shabby either. -the world Ohhh-a repurposed 458 Win Mag! I now have one M70 and wouldn't trade it for the world. 'Had a Whitworth 458 WM that shot so well, i decided to sell it and have the chatfield made (synth/ss as it'll be fine for the big stuff in AK and certain african flights in the rain too! in the pic to the left) check out the Trijicon 1-6 as it's lighted and needs no batteries. Have it in G4 on my .416 and the Son's 375. I do have one old lighted Leupold on a short, fast 3006 pump-it's the perfect combo for fast shooting/moving targets. They discontinued it (1-5x red dot w/ 1' circle at 100 yds around it.)

Last edited:
A guy in CA has some really nice QD setups and open sights for safari guns....Hmmm Breeding?-Smithson! He wanted $1,800 after our first convo, but I'm sure it was well worth it! Both great gunsmiths!!!

Smithson is an unbelievable builder. His design is very slick. And he builds a more English style synthetic stock. Great stuff

It’s a custom .416 Taylor. I have a .375 also. I really like them and they are great shooters. I need to get scopes/red dot on them though as my eyes aren’t what they used to be.
I had a 416 Taylor lined up to build (would have been a rebarrel) and then I acquired a magnum action length FN so now a 404J is in the works. With that said I’ve got a whole lot of extra everything for a Taylor. I’m especially flush with bullets- mostly Speer just to run down the tube.

If that Talley peep is unaltered and you are looking to unload it - I may i know a guy...
I will certainly keep that in mind sir.
B1AA9FAB-52A1-45D8-BCE2-8DB52DC0F5E3.jpeg
E2480350-9DE9-491B-8958-416476167AD3.jpeg

I had a 416 Taylor lined up to build (would have been a rebarrel) and then I acquired a magnum action length FN so now a 404J is in the works. With that said I’ve got a whole lot of extra everything for a Taylor. I’m especially flush with bullets- mostly Speer just to run down the tube.

An 8 3/16" screw spacing Magnum FN?

An 8 3/16" screw spacing Magnum FN?
According to my little tape measure it’s just shy of 8” ...would this then be a “stretched”action? My bolt rifle terminology is coming along slowly- I’m just a double rifle guy‍

According to my little tape measure it’s just shy of 8” ...would this then be a “stretched”action? My bolt rifle terminology is coming along slowly- I’m just a double rifle guy‍

7 7/8 is standard large ring 98 spacing so yours is just configured for a magnum (usually the 3.34 belted ones). the true magnum mausers were mostly used for 416 Rigbys back in the day, and 416s, and 450s now. The .404 COAL is typically 3.53, which is shorter than a 375 H&H, but it's very common to have the 98s converted for longer cartridges.

7 7/8 is standard large ring 98 spacing so yours is just configured for a magnum (usually the 3.34 belted ones). the true magnum mausers were mostly used for 416 Rigbys back in the day, and 416s, and 450s now. The .404 COAL is typically 3.53, which is shorter than a 375 H&H, but it's very common to have the 98s converted for longer cartridges.
Ok got it. This rifle is a “375 M” as marked on the barrel. It’s my understanding that it stands for 375 H&H magnum. I’ve just never seen one designated that way before.

Ok got it. This rifle is a “375 M” as marked on the barrel. It’s my understanding that it stands for 375 H&H magnum. I’ve just never seen one designated that way before.

That is interesting. I'ver never seen one marked that way either.

Those look an awful lot like early Kimber bases for the 89. If that's the case, I believe they are a different width than Talleys. They will be 11mm or .460. Talley does make rings for them.
Thanks so much! I’ll go with the Talley rings then.

That is interesting. I'ver never seen one marked that way either.
1236FAA9-1BB9-4823-B22B-95DB57998AEC.jpeg

The beauty with the Taylor, is that any long action within the .458WM (7mmRM, .300WM, .338WM, etc.) family of cartridges can be used to build the Taylor with no modifications. The cartridges are all the same length and width. Just a chambered barrel?

The beauty with the Taylor, is that any long action within the .458WM (7mmRM, .300WM, .338WM, etc.) family of cartridges can be used to build the Taylor with no modifications. The cartridges are all the same length and width. Just a chambered barrel?
I have a ‘65 Browning FN 30-06 that I was going to redo to Taylor status. Stock, action , etc is excellent and it was to get a barrel and irons too.

I have a ‘65 Browning FN 30-06 that I was going to redo to Taylor status. Stock, action , etc is excellent and it was to get a barrel and irons too.
That would work. The bolt face would have to be opened up a little and the magazine capacity might be smaller? The rails might have to be modified. Someone on here with much more knowledge than I would be able to give you more information. A lot of excellent rifle builders here, I am not.

That would work. The bolt face would have to be opened up a little and the magazine capacity might be smaller? The rails might have to be modified. Someone on here with much more knowledge than I would be able to give you more information. A lot of excellent rifle builders here, I am not.
Yes sir you’re correct - it’s at Pac-Nor right now holding place until I get this FN out there

View attachment 391149

Well, there it is! You;ve also got belgium proof marks as would be expected with an FN. Is there a lion over the V that is visible? Thgat should be the nitro prtoofmark

And curious - is this a commercial, solid sidewall? or has a thumb/gas cut?

The magazine will need to be reworked extensively unless it'll be replaced. To maintain 'Mauser's Rule" for magazine geometry, almost every cartridge will have its own math. I think last time I counted there were 27 different geometries for mag boxes for the more common cartridges.

Well, there it is! You;ve also got belgium proof marks as would be expected with an FN. Is there a lion over the V that is visible? Thgat should be the nitro prtoofmark

And curious - is this a commercial, solid sidewall? or has a thumb/gas cut?
It’s commercial (no thumb cutout) , Yes the lion Is there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross