Official Opening Address By Namibia Minister of Environment and Tourism at NAPHA AGM 2014

AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Official Opening Address By The Namibian Minister of Environment and Tourism Honourable Uahekua Herunga MP

At the occasion of the 41st Annual General Meeting of the Namibia Professional Hunting Association – NAPHA

On the 25th November 2014 at Heja Game Lodge

Good Morning

President, Executive Committee and Members of the Namibian Professional Hunting Association – NAPHA.

Delegates from:
The Dallas Safari Club, Safari Club International, the World Wildlife Fund and the Conservation Force,
Tanzania Hunting Operators Association, the Professional Hunting Association of South Africa and the Safari Operators Association of Zimbabwe.

Krieghoff Hunting and Sporting Arms from Germany,
Heym rifles, Minox Optics and Deloitte & Touche International,
We welcome you to our beautiful Namibia!

In absentia, we would like to acknowledge Wild Sheep Foundation and Sports Afield, who could not join us due to unexpected circumstances.

The publishers of our continent’s top hunting magazines are with us here today –
Welcome to the representatives of the African Hunting Gazette, The African Outfitter and our very own Huntinamibia;

From the Namibian tourism sector I greet the representatives of the Namibia Tourism Board, Air Namibia and my team from the Ministry of Environment and Tourism, as well as representatives from the Namibia Agricultural Union, and the Namibian Police. A hearty welcome to all the national sponsors of NAPHA. It is a pleasure to see the private sector support the association with continued loyalty!

It is always good to see the Namibian Press so well represented at a function like this – good morning!
(All Protocol Observed)

Thank you Director of Ceremonies.

Namibia is a pro-wildlife utilization country and our progressive national Constitution is the first in the world to formally enshrine the sustainable utilization of living natural resources.

We are a hunter friendly nation with a very proud hunting heritage, and our trophy hunting community is well respected by our government and fellow Namibians as an essential and integral part of Namibia’s wildlife conservation, tourism, agricultural and business sectors.

Statistics show that the introduction of trophy hunting here in the early 1960s was one of our country’s the most successful wildlife conservation initiatives – trophy hunting has since developed into an extremely lucrative form of land utilization as well as a most effective wildlife management tool.

However, for international hunters the prime draw cards are our excellent hunting professionals, high standards of ethics; interesting and varied hunting opportunities; quality, quantity and diversity of game species including the Big Five; the ease with which hunting rifles may be temporarily imported and our active and our well-respected national hunting association, NAPHA.

Namibia is firmly established as a one of Africa’s most popular hunting and tourism destinations, and all reports indicate that 2014 has again been an excellent year for our hunting and conservation community.

One of the highlights was that the prestigious international Dallas Safari Club Outfitter of the Year Award, was won by a Namibian trophy-hunting outfitter for the first time ever. I congratulate Hunters Namibian Safaris on this achievement.

Namibia is recognized as a world-leader in conservation – with specific focus on rare and endangered species such as the Black Rhino. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species (CITES) has granted Namibia an annual export quota of up to five hunter-taken Black Rhinos.

Only post-reproductive males are hunted, and the revenue derived from such hunts is reinvested in Rhino management, including addressing challenges such as poaching, which is a real threat to Rhinoceros all over the world.

It is unfortunate that the auction of a Namibian Black Rhino hunt, at the Dallas Safari Club convention earlier this year, received so much negative publicity from people who do not understand the principle of conservation through sustainable utilisation.

The permit sold for US$ 350 000, but could have generated more than 1 million US dollars – that in fact was the offer on the table as confirmed by Dallas Safari Club, but which was withdrawn shortly before the auction due to pressure from anti-hunting lobbyists. One could therefore say that the lobby groups cost Namibia’s Rhino conservation initiative US$ 650 000, as the total proceeds from the auction are earmarked to go to the Namibia Game Products Trust Fund, and will be distributed among a number of rhino conservation projects.

In recent developments pressure on the United States government, by animal rights activists, to deny the import license for the Black Rhino trophy could derail Namibia's plans to use the record N$3,7 million raised at the auction for law enforcement training, patrol vehicles and a national intelligence system crucial for protecting Rhino population from criminal poaching.

The Namibian government and all of you committed to conservation recognize the responsibilities the United States Fish and Wildlife Service has with respect to trophy importation as well as the positive role they play more widely in wildlife conservation. We also recognize and appreciate their support for sustainable use as a critical and effective mechanism to assist wildlife populations and human communities worldwide. Furthermore, we understand the challenges they face, as all of us do, in balancing the differing perspectives in complex modern societies and in striving to do what is right in the face of intense criticism by anti-hunting lobbyists.

But what is most important is that our government recognizes the common purpose we share with the USFWS in conserving wildlife and ensuring this priceless world legacy is not lost to future generations. It is with these considerations in mind that we encourage and call upon the USFWS to issue the importation permit for the Black Rhino hunt auctioned at the Dallas Safari Club convention earlier this year. The funds raised are vital to fund our battle against poaching which threatens this extraordinary and iconic animal.

We must act decisively for the Rhino; and to do so requires both purposeful commitments to practical solutions and financial resources to put such efforts to work on the ground.

Thus it is critical that the permit for importation be granted without unnecessary delay so that we may together initiate this important work. We have no time to lose.

The threat of poaching has continued to escalate while various many-faceted interventions are being implemented in Namibia. Poaching is part of a multi-billion dollar worldwide illicit wildlife trade.
My Ministry is working closely with wildlife experts, magistrates, prosecutors, lawyers, Police Officers, members of the Namibia Defense Force, Intelligence experts, Custom officials, Immigration officials and many other experts - we need to stop this illegal killing of our wildlife NOW.

I am aware of the misperception that NAPHA is an elitist hunting organization. NAPHA is emphatically a non-political and non-racial organisation. As such membership is open to everyone who fulfills the association’s professional requirements – I urge all newly founded hunting outfitters to join ranks with NAPHA.

NAPHA has reached out to communities throughout Namibia, not only to empowered them to become trained and qualified Hunting Professionals, but also to join the organization as members.

NAPHA has also, over the years, been hailed for its efforts to assist previously disadvantaged Namibians, and I am proud to say that almost 300 have joined the ranks of Namibian Hunting Professionals since the inception of the courses initiated by NAPHA in 2001.

In partnership with the Lazarus Shinyemba Ipangelwa Foundation, NAPHA has presented 2 workshops aimed at teaching Emerging Commercial Farmers about Trophy Hunting as an Effective Form of Commercial and Communal Land Utilisation. 150 Emerging farmers and conservancy members from previously disadvantaged communities attended these events.

I am also aware of the NAPHA Supports Education programme, which provides books, computers, photocopiers, fax machines and even matrasses, blankets and catering equipment to schools throughout Namibia. Since 2004, 20 schools have received donations worth more than N$ 1.5 million.

The funding for these Hunters Support Education programmes comes from the sale of NAPHA medals and donations from hunters, as well as international hunting organisations such as Dallas Safari Club and Safari Club International.

In addition to the above, hundreds of thousand of dollars worth of independent donations of funds, learning materials, supplies and meat from the hunt are made by many hunting outfitters and their guests to schools throughout Namibia. There is no doubt that hunters spend more time on the ground interacting with, as well as supporting local communities, than any other group of tourists.

NAPHA, in conjunction with the WWF and the Namibia Tourism Board, have offered a variety of courses for communal conservancy members including the ‘Hunting Assistance Course’ and the ‘Big Game Safari Assistance Course’.

The Hunting Operators’ Business in the Northern Conservancies’ course is currently underway at the Eagle Rock Hunting Academy, which is intended to teach residents of the communal conservancies to manage their own hunting outfits. This initiative is as a result of a request from Cabinet.

NAPHA insists that its members provide the highest standard of professional service to international hunting guests. They are expected to hunt strictly in accordance with the Namibian law and the ethical principles as stipulated in NAPHA's Hunting Code. The Hunting Professional is at all times encouraged to act responsibly towards nature, wildlife and the local population. These rules should apply across the board to ALL Namibian Hunting Professionals.

The recent incident involving the shooting of the wrong Black Rhino, in fact a pregnant cow, is unacceptable and condemned in hunting and conservation circles in the strongest terms.

Big game hunting is indeed dangerous. It is therefore expected that only highly experienced Dangerous Game Professional Hunters, who have an intensive knowledge of the behaviour of the specie to be hunted, as well as the area, terrain and vegetation, should be entrusted to guide such hunts.

These Professional Hunters should also be capable of taking the necessary precautionary measures, including avoiding and/or deflecting charges, when necessary.

It is NOT common practice for a hunting client to shoot an animal in self-defense – that is understood to be the responsibility of the PH in charge of the hunt.

My Ministry considers NAPHA a trusted partner in hunting and conservation, and promotes the concept of a consultative approach to handling matters of mutual concern.

Your association is currently working with MET on introducing a computerized permit application programme, donated by NAPHA and developed by Deloitte & Touche International. This new system will streamline the procedure within our permit office, as well as bring our data collection process up to date.

Over the past year we have addressed and resolved some issues regarding Leopard hunting tags – my Ministry issued 10 additional tags during September, on the recommendation of your Executive Committee.

We agree that in-depth studies should be initiated soonest in order to determine predator numbers, which are reported to be on the dramatic increase throughout commercial as well as communal areas.

I understand that the implementation of a Statutory Body for Hunting Professionals, the enactment of the Wildlife Bill and the introduction of Hand Gun Hunting in Namibia are amongst the critically important subjects which we do still need to address.

The keeping our certified disease-free buffalo, which should be considered a national treasure, IN Namibia FOR Namibians, is also of mutual interest to NAPHA members and my Ministry.

As unique as our landscapes and our people, so, too, are our Namibian hunting traditions.

I urge you, as the Namibian hunting and conservation community, not to give in the pressure and lure of the dollar to develop illegal and/or unethical practices such as canned hunting, put-and-take as well as the selective breeding of genetic mutations and colour variants.

Let’s us commit ourselves to keeping our hunting and conservation traditions REAL and PURE in the TRUE Namibian tradition!

I wish you fruitful deliberations over the next 2 days, and now officially declare the 41st NAPHA Annual General Meeting open.

I thank you.
Honourable Uahekua Herunga MP

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross