New Mauser, Worth It?

@Red Leg
Out of couriosity, do you think that this stands for all of British gun makers?
Holland & holland, Purdey, Westley Richards etc... and others who produce maser 98 type rifles?

If so, then I wonder who supplies 98 actions to them, today? (and especially magnum actions?)

The last time I was in the H&H factory there were large boxes of vintage 98 actions waiting for a build.

Amazing!
Almost unbelievable to me! Highest end product, based on recycled parts (not in-house made)!

Amazing!
Almost unbelievable to me! Highest end product, based on recycled parts (not in-house made)!

The action that ends up in the rifle is a far cry from the actions sitting in the box.

haha,
i could imagine so....

except now I am afraid to ask how they make barrels?
Import from zastava, or mossberg? :)

I can also add, in line with this topic, that it looks like that masuer 98 made by mauser, is true mauser - for high, but reasonable price. And same stands for rigby, who truthfully advertises mauser action on their rifles. Attached is the add, from the time they used checz actions. (and Bohler barrels)

rigby.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
haha,
i could imagine so....

I can also add, in line with this topic, that it looks like that masuer 98 made by mauser, is true mauser - for high, but reasonable price. And same stands for rigby, who truthfully advertises mauser action on their rifles. Attached is the add, from the time they used checz actions. (and Bohler barrels)
I wouldn’t make too much of who makes the parts, rather than who makes the rifles.

When you buy a Cadillac, do you ask who made the parts? My guess is that very few were made by GM (let alone the Cadillac division). Even something like high-end Swiss watches are often made from parts (if not entire movements) sourced from third parties.

I’m also not sure that there’s any necessary connection or correlation between being a great barrel maker, for example, and being a great rifle maker. Same goes for actions. The relatively few rifles made by custom gunmakers and even the remaining English gunmakers wouldn’t come close to economically justifying the machinery needed to make great barrels and actions today, nor would that number justify hiring the experts to use those machines.

I’ve shot rifles made with expensive barrels which I thought weren’t very good, and similarly, I’ve shot rifles made with Mauser actions which I thought weren‘t very good. I know my Rigbys are made with Mauser-made M98 actions, and I like that, because they’re authentic to the Rigbys, but the real focus is that Rigby today makes a great handling and shooting rifle (at least in my experience), and that isn’t something every gunmaker or gun part maker can do.

We should focus on the quality and functionality of the end product, not on the parts that went into that end product.

I agree. Although, information provided earlier, admittedly, came as a surprise to me.

Last edited:
I purchased one of the new Mauser M98 7x57 rifles, a year or so ago and its superlative in every way possible, way better rifle than I need for anything, but it is gorgeous and superbly accurate.
Bought it before the price nearly doubled.
Its the same rifle as the Rigby Highlander with different trim and a tad less tariff.
Current prices have put them beyond where I would care to tread.

I purchased one of the new Mauser M98 7x57 rifles, a year or so ago and its superlative in every way possible, way better rifle than I need for anything, but it is gorgeous and superbly accurate.
Bought it before the price nearly doubled.
Its the same rifle as the Rigby Highlander with different trim and a tad less tariff.
Current prices have put them beyond where I would care to tread.
I almost tear up looking at the prices now. Early last year, before it shut it’s doors(?), Double Guns of Nashville had two new M98s, one in 8x57 and one in 9.3x62 IIRC, listed at around $8.5k or so. Little did I know what would transpire…

Nobody knew or nobody around here I suspect. I just happened to get the urge just before they shot up and just did a YOLO and bought one.

My rule on rifles (and good shotguns), is to never allow their acquisition to interfere with the ability to make a hunt. I think a bespoke Holland & Holland Royal would be a fabulous thing to own, but a $120K price tag would affect my ability to actually hunt. But understand there are folks who would never consider dusting partridge without a matched pair of them. If necessary, I can have wonderful hunting experiences with a Savage or Mossberg of appropriate caliber or gauge. Those experiences are more important (to me) than owning best quality arms. I have been blessed to do a bit of both, but if I am struggling with the cost of a new rifle, then I have no problem walking away to invest in the next adventure. That is a long way around to say that if you can afford the tariff for a new Mauser and a couple of sets of barrels, then I think you will find them exceptional, but probably not "exceptionally" better than a Kimber Caprivi, which would not be "exceptionally" better than a Remington. I just acquired my first Blaser R8 with .375 and .300 WM barrels and am stunned by their accuracy and ease of use. (The repeatability of that accuracy following take-down, is one of the major things you are investing in with either the Blaser or new Mauser system.) But truth in lending, my Blaser is not "exceptionally" better than my Mauser '98 based .375. My next meaningful rifle purchase (who knows - maybe my last) will be a Rigby Highlander when they are released this spring (in .275). It won't do anything one of my other 7mms won't do, but it is a Rigby.

So, you can have very satisfying hunts with the Savage, the Mauser, the Blaser or a host of other weapons at varying price points. It is simply a function of what gives you the most affordable pleasure in making that hunt. So, they are all "worth it" and "not worth it." Simply a function of cost and desire.
I have a Blaser R8 that I’ve taken to Africa twice. I have a .300 Win Mag barrel and a .375 H&H barrel. I have both barrels scoped with high end Leupold scopes. I also have an Aimpoint Hunters sight on a separate Blaser mount for the .375. I bought extra mags for both calibers and a spare trigger assemby. I’ve taken everything from springbok to Cape buffalo with this R8. I may have a few qualms about using the .375 for elephant although I know it’s quite commonly used but with all the prohibitions and restrictions on the export/import of elephant trophies I will probably never hunt one.

haha,
i could imagine so....

View attachment 444780

Had 3 maybe 4 rigby 416s back in those days made with the brno action...great rifles and action....it was the magnum action that was basically available at a reasonable cost then....Paul would make you one with a magnum mauser action as well back then at a nice price if and when he could find one....so not sure what your hang up is .... :E Shrug: ...and spent many a happy hour in 66 great Suffolk street...and looking at the phone number even remember it as well.....

I love the mystique of a Mauser or Rigby….but I can’t begin to justify the price. Frankly, the cost is absurd for a factory rifle with a machine made stock and a basic nitride finish. That’s a 2k rifle at best.

I love the mystique of a Mauser or Rigby….but I can’t begin to justify the price. Frankly, the cost is absurd for a factory rifle with a machine made stock and a basic nitride finish. That’s a 2k rifle at best.

Not sure what you have been looking at but mine doesn't look like what you are describing...nor do any rigbys I have looked at , or owned in the past....

The Rigby Big Game is literally a complete barreled action, sourced from Mauser, dropped into a machine made stock.

Rigby offers a few mods, but it’s a factory mauser.

https://www.johnrigbyandco.com/guns/the-big-game/

https://www.mauser.com/us/MAUSER-98-STD-Expert/80112511

Same base rifle, possibly different sights and finish options…both are simply factory guns, albeit with a few optional upgrades on the Rigby.

To be clear, I’m not saying this is a bad thing- to the contrary, it is historically correct as many vintage Rigby rifles began life as Mauser factory barreled actions and Mauser makes top quality rifles that can be counted on.

If I were a billionaire, I’d have a full stable of Rising Bight doubles…but both the Mauser and Rigby are over 10k. That’s hard to justify in an era of CNC machining, stock duplication, and so on.

If money is no object…I’d buy one. As it is, I’d opt for something more balanced on cost.

YMMV.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.46 PM.png
    1,020 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.48 PM.png
    894.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.49 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.49 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.51 PM.png
    3.1 MB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.54 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.54 PM.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.56 PM.png
    692.2 KB · Views: 41
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.58 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.58 PM.png
    516.7 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.14.59 PM.png
    467.8 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.15.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.15.02 PM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 45
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.15.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.15.21 PM.png
    6 MB · Views: 42
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.15.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-09 at 12.15.22 PM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
Greetings Gents, I have been looking at rifles and really would appreciate opinions on new Mausers. No need to have one, or have had one, I will value all opinions - except those saying I don't need a new gun. As a lefty, I was looking at the M 03. It is a modular design, so of course I considered the need for multiple barrels/calibers, and two stocks - one of wood one of plastic. I have never had a modular design. I think it would be an advantage for traveling; 2 or 3 barrels and lots of ammo.
So enough about me, the real punch in the gut was the price I was quoted, $6,000.00. Extra barrels at additional cost (forget price but do remember thinking it was significantly more than a screwed on Douglas Premium). Being the cheap bastard I am, I though who needs a left hand model and surely the M 98, a hundred year old plus design must be less; wrong - listed at $12 grand. I like a nice wood, but have little need for extensive engraving.
Are these guns worth it? There are plenty of fine USA gunsmiths that will hand over an accuracy guaranteed custom rifle for $2500 - 3,500.00 It makes it very hard for me to consider a production gun that seems vastly over priced.

Any thoughts on the matter? Will enjoy and appreciate all comments

.Cheers,
Richard
Have a look at a Schultz & Larson, Hunter Traveller with interchangeable barrels my son has one with 9.3x62 7x57 & 30/06 barrels its a nice rifle & wont break the bank. it came with a walnut stock & a synthetic stock. As a kit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg