new cartridge

Strangely enough, Rob Blomfield (SC Gunsmithing) will be working on a Ruger No1 in 280 AI sometime soon; but then I'm a No 1 tragic...

I always liked the “on paper” attributes of the 280AI. What turned me off was when I learned it’s not a thing, it’s a group of non-compatible things. The SAAMI spec ammo is not compatible with pre-SAAMI chambers. Sounds like a nightmare so I just went with 7x64.

Strangely enough, Rob Blomfield (SC Gunsmithing) will be working on a Ruger No1 in 280 AI sometime soon; but then I'm a No 1 tragic...

Nothing tragic about that, sounds like a classic pairing.

I don't own a Ruger No1

I do own a .280ai (and they make ammo for it)

I was thinking the other day I would like to have a .280a.i. in a nice classic looking hunting rifle. Just because I like nice rifles and I like the cartridge and it's performance.

I always liked the “on paper” attributes of the 280AI. What turned me off was when I learned it’s not a thing, it’s a group of non-compatible things. The SAAMI spec ammo is not compatible with pre-SAAMI chambers. Sounds like a nightmare so I just went with 7x64.
Remington is well known for 'adopting' wildcat cartridges and changing them just enough to make the newer cartridge incompatible with the original. The SAAMI specs are often different from the original version. And there are some wildcats that sport several incompatible versions with the same name. Stuff happens, but it does not make the cartridge less effective.

Two things on action lengths.

1.) In the olden days there were best guns where the action was built to compliment the cartridge. An example is a the stunning and rare Mauser “Kurz“ action. It shoots the 8x51mm cartridge and a few others (Rigby recently made a few for $100,000 each that shot .223). Everything about the whole gun is scaled down and its as stunning to handle as a true “baby frame” English 28 bore shotgun that weighs 5.25lbs.

2.) Then there is the modern marketing scheme. This is the mentality I hate. The engineering guys got together and tried to figure out how to reduce their number of SKUs so they had fewer parts and could make more profits cutting more corners. The marketing guys then formed the scheme to convince the somewhat ignorant public that they need this new amazing, totally innovative caliber. Why do you need this new caliber? Because it fits in dime-store mass produced actions that cost 1/10th to 1/20th the cost to manufacture. Examples include displacing the true long-action that held the 300HH with the medium action that can handle a 300WM. It includes replacing the true-magnum action 416 Rigby with a long action that shoots 416 Remington. It includes replacing the medium action 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser with a short action that will shoot a 260 Remington. It includes replacing the Long-to-Magnum action 375HH with a medium-action 375 Ruger. All of this is providing nothing new, just convincing the public to buy an unnecessary caliber that allows the manufacturer to get away with a cheaper action of which they can make many more units due to cross-caliber compatibility.

Evidence that point #2 is absolutely true? How many bolt action rifles have a bolt throw and magazine the correct length for a .223 or a 7.62x39mm? I’m aware of only one, a baby mauser action made by Zastava in Serbia that has an action that is correct for the cartridge. They didn’t sell well because they were expensive to build and had limited cross-caliber compatibility compared to a regular “short action” that could be used for everything from .308Win down.

It’s for the reasons above that you’ll find members of this forum making “Oohs and Ahhs” over guns that have a best grade “correct” action to match a caliber: Double Square Bridge Magnum Mauser for a 500 Jeffery? Yes please. Custom 96 Mauser by Carl Gustav for a custom 6.5x55 Swede? Yes please. Custom stalking rifles built on Mexican Mauser actions? Yes please. Square bridge Kurz mauser actions for an 8x51mm? Yes please. An actual magnum round action for a .404 Jeffery rather than cramming it into a long action? Yes please. <— These are the things that define best guns where form and function are built together from the blueprint, not a marketing shenanigan where they cobble together something from parts on the shelf.
Thanks for the input. Follow the dollar”-why am I not surprised?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross