My 280 Remington

zorg,
get some and chrono them in a 24" barrel and report back.
bruce.

zorg,
bruce.
bruce,
You can send the funds for the chrono to me via PayPay or Zelle. PM me when you're ready on your end and don't forget to factor in the currency exchange rate.

I already have the Norma Tipstrike 7X64mm ammo and a 7X64mm Zastava rifle with 600mm barrel, that should match better to the reference length, so I've done my part.

I didn't see any complaints about brass life from anyone on this thread. Did you?

Last edited:
So I found my load for my CZ 7X64. 160 gr Nosler Partition and 54.5 grs of IMR 4350. Shoots under an inch at 100yds under 2" at 200yds right at 3" for 300 and 3.5 " at 400. Only shot 2 shots at 500yds and hit the 8x8" gong both times. Chronos at 2850fps. Done and happy.

Thanks for this information. I have found IMR-4350 to be the most accurate propellant in my 7x64 also. I will work up with your load and see how it does in my CZ-550FS. Curious to see how much velocity loss with the short barrel.

Thanks for this information. I have found IMR-4350 to be the most accurate propellant in my 7x64 also. I will work up with your load and see how it does in my CZ-550FS. Curious to see how much velocity loss with the short barrel.
Been interested what you find.

maybe you could do the calculation using trajectory, as long as you could get an accurate b.c.
bruce.
bruce,
Purchase some Norma .280 Remington ammunition loaded with that same 7mm 160 grain Tipstrike projectile. Then report back on what your BC-O-Meter determines and what muzzle velocity your chrono shows firing from your beloved .280 Remington rifle. That can be cross-referenced to the values Norma publishes for that ammunition.

In the mean time I'd be interested in the load @sestoppelman and @Graham Hunter have used. I picked up some 7mm 160 grain Woodleigh semi-spitzer bullets from an estate sale that might work up to their velocity. I also have some Federal TLR Edge 7mm 155 grain projectiles but that's not quite 160 grains.

zorg,
there is no point for me to buy factory ammo.
I have ammo loaded and ready to go for a number of applications that is proven in the field, and possibly better than factory ammo.
it is all chronographed and the rifle zeroed for it.
all loads use the same sight setting.
and I have components ready to load more when required.
bruce.

My 160 Nosler load was 61.5 grs of H4831 which is very slow powder. Lit with a CCI 200 primer in Rem cases. It would clock 2915 fps for just over 3000 ft/lbs of ME. This was some time ago, so with current lots of powder I would start in the mid to high 50's. An equivalent load was 58 grs of IMR4831 for about the same speed.

zorg,
there is no point for me to buy factory ammo.
I have ammo loaded and ready to go for a number of applications that is proven in the field, and possibly better than factory ammo.
it is all chronographed and the rifle zeroed for it.
all loads use the same sight setting.
and I have components ready to load more when required.
bruce.
bruce,
And I still have no good reason to purchase a chronograph. And it's equally clear there's no way to determine your version of projectile BC if you never purchase the projectiles. Only what the manufacturer publishes is thus available. Hmmm . . .

We're back to waiting for you to send funds for the chronograph. As I said before, let me know when you have things arranged on your side and don't forget to factor in the currency conversion. Today I see $1 US = $1.43 Aus with a quick Google search.

Last edited:
My 160 Nosler load was 61.5 grs of H4831 which is very slow powder. Lit with a CCI 200 primer in Rem cases. It would clock 2915 fps for just over 3000 ft/lbs of ME. This was some time ago, so with current lots of powder I would start in the mid to high 50's. An equivalent load was 58 grs of IMR4831 for about the same speed.
Thank you!

bruce,
And I still have no good reason to purchase a chronograph. And it's equally clear there's no way to determine your version of projectile BC if you never purchase the projectiles. Only what the manufacturer publishes is thus available. Hmmm . . .

We're back to waiting for you to send funds for the chronograph. As I said before, let me know when you have things arranged on your side and don't forget to factor in the currency conversion. Today I see $1 US = $1.43 Aus with a quick Google search.

I cannot see why you wait for me to buy you a chronograph?
you are the one that needs it so you buy it, then you can tell us the true readings from true rifles.
bruce.

bruce,

@Mr Zorg
You should be able to get a Chrony chronograph over there for $100.
Bob.

one of us believes velocity claims of the manufacturers, and one does not.
bruce.

Well I believe the manufacturer and I must state that the manufacturer uses a very tight chamber and a 26 inch barrel. But! What are we using?? Chambers that are not as tight and probably 22 inch barrels.
Those modifications are what makes the differences.
I take the manufacturers’ FPS as a guide for 26 inch barrels and drop 150 FPS off.
The only realistic way to know the actual velocity is to measure.

I load 55gr to 55.5grs of IMR 4831 behind either a 150gr
Nosler Partition or 154 gr Hornady Spire point. Winchester WLR primer.

zorg,
bruce.

Here's where I responded I had the appropriate rifle and ammunition having done my part.

I cannot see why you wait for me to buy you a chronograph?
you are the one that needs it so you buy it, then you can tell us the true readings from true rifles.
bruce.

You appear to have an extremelyshort memory and / or unwilling to read your own posts, addressed specifically to me, but they're all right here.

one of us believes velocity claims of the manufacturers, and one does not.
bruce.

Absolutely untrue. I posted that Norma (never all ammunition manufacturers) have a history and reputation of living up to their published values, while bruce told me my faith was misplaced (of all things) and that my degree of cynicism would be improved if I purchased a chronograph knowing that I'm not (yet) a reloader and have (yet) no use for a chronograph. And more so, I've posted here that the ranges I've shot at in my area will not allow chronographs as their safety rules are for nothing other than targets in front of the firing line.

maybe you could do the calculation using trajectory, as long as you could get an accurate b.c.
bruce.

And as we see bruce will not entertain purchasing the ammo or projectiles to tell us his determination of BC to use in this method.

All back in a circle here.

Well I believe the manufacturer and I must state that the manufacturer uses a very tight chamber and a 26 inch barrel. But! What are we using?? Chambers that are not as tight and probably 22 inch barrels.
Those modifications are what makes the differences.
I take the manufacturers’ FPS as a guide for 26 inch barrels and drop 150 FPS off.
The only realistic way to know the actual velocity is to measure.
Can you post up the link from Norma saying this 7X64mm 160 grain Tipstrike ammo published MV = 890 m/s is based on 26" barrel, and chamber details?

The Geco info for their 7X64mm 155 grain Express ammo specifically details a 600 mm test barrel length directly along with the BC value and shows the 885 m/s published muzzle velocity.

https://geco-munition.de/en/ammunition/geco-centrefire-rifle-cartridges.html#!0/4/12

Norma, Geco, and RWS all fall under the RUAG umbrella these days. RWS 7X64mm ammunition loaded with their 162 grain Kegelspitz projectile has a published muzzle velocity of 880 m/s.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.57 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.59 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.29.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.29.00 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 67
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.53 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.53 AM.png
    6 MB · Views: 70
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.54 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.56 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 9.28.56 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross