Merkel 141 Experiences

Thank you RAAMW.
I'll send a email to the distributor and after that I'll let you know the answer.
However, if you find the answer I'll be very gratefull.

Last edited:
MerkelRegulation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It is wonderful to see how people can get help on this forum with just about anything!

So, here are the results :
Each rotation of 360 degrees (on both screws) represents 2 inches at 50 yards!
I put both shots in a circle of 1 inch, as you can see in the upper right target!
(Is needed to turn both screws because each one moves the left barrel in a diagonal plan, a 45 degrees plan, not horizontal or vertical). Each screw pull or push the barrel in a 45 degrees direction!

20151014_100309-2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the insight. I was actually referring to the petite-framed Merkel 141, based on the 28 gauge frame, not the big 140 series dangerous game guns. I'm thinking more along the lines of a 7x57R, 30R Blaser, 9.3x74R, etc, etc. Something appropriate for some plains game, or just plain old deer hunting in the woods of the U.S. Thanks!
I own a Merkel 141 in a 9.3 x 74R and was very happy initially with the rifle. It is really a beautiful gun which shoot like a dream...... That was for the first 100 rounds. After that, the gun started doubling - shooting both barrels with the pull of one trigger. Now, a year later, the problem still exists. I have sent the gun back to Merkel in Germany at the cost of Euro 1000 for repairs, but the gun is still faulty. I am trying to get answers from them or some sort of back-up service, but to no avail. I am thinking of selling the gun, but feel like a crook selling a faulty gun......

I was wondering if anyone owns or otherwise had experience with the Merkel 141 in any caliber. What are your impressions? I understand that regulation of the barrels can be adjusted by the shooter to alter point of impact for different loads and distances. How has that system worked for you in actual practice? How much adjustability is there? What kind of accuracy at, say 100 yards (scoped), would one reasonably expect to achieve? Thanks!
I own a Merkel 141.1 in 3006 caliber. It has a single trigger. At 40 yards it shoots about 3 3/4" high. However, both barrels hit straight across from each other at about 1 1/4" from each other. Right barrel hitting right and left barrel hitting left. I am using reloaded Ammo with a 180grain Sierra pro hunter spitzer with an average velocity of 2472 fps. It was 84 degrees Fahrenheit when I made the shots. I immediately reloaded and shot two more rounds from hot barrels just to see what would happen. The right barrel hit at about 6" to the right and 1" high and the left barrel shot to the right about 5" and 1 1/4" low. Both shots fell within 4" of each other. I see now why they say to let the gun cool back to room temperature before shooting two more rounds. I think I'm going to up my powder charge about one grain to get me to 2500 fps for two reasons. I think that will lower my impact point and make the second barrel auto cocking mechanism work better. Do not shoot heavy loads in these rifles because they will not handle them like a bolt action and you will have a hell of a time getting it unbreeched. I recommend reading Woodleigh reloading manual as they have a loading guide for double rifle loads for most calibers toward the back of the manual.

I own a Merkel 141 in a 9.3 x 74R and was very happy initially with the rifle. It is really a beautiful gun which shoot like a dream...... That was for the first 100 rounds. After that, the gun started doubling - shooting both barrels with the pull of one trigger. Now, a year later, the problem still exists. I have sent the gun back to Merkel in Germany at the cost of Euro 1000 for repairs, but the gun is still faulty. I am trying to get answers from them or some sort of back-up service, but to no avail. I am thinking of selling the gun, but feel like a crook selling a faulty gun......

I have the 140 in 500NE that doubled from the start as it was a new gun. I sent it back to Merkel at their expense. The gunsmith stated he cleaned the action and added a shim he also asked if I new how to fire a double and I replied one barrel at a time. Well the next time I took it out it did a delayed double, I fired the right barrel and at full recoil the left barrel fired shooting a 500 solid into a steel safety plate which was maybe 5 yards in front of the shooting bench, the hit was about 8 to 9 feet high, again it went back to merkel at their expense and they worked on it again and assured me it was fixed, I have not had a chance to fire the gun again but I will be shooting the left barrel first since the recoil is unbelievable.

I have just purchased my first Dangerous game double in 500 Nitro. It's a Merkel 140 used. It shot about dead on from a standing rest at 50 yards. Group size was 2 1/2" W/ 4 shots. I shot two rounds offhand and they stayed within 3" dead on. I'm using Woodleigh 570 grain softpoints running about 2043 fps. average. The brass re-sizes extremely easy which was a surprise. I have spent some 5000.00 $. US for 3 different bolt actions that all had one problem or another. This Merkel cost about 9500.00$ US. I have come to the conclusion that if you want a dependable dangerous game rifle that works you're probably gone be in the 5 digit range before you do.
The 500 recoil is stout but manageable. I think if your a reloader it's a whole lot easier to get the doubles regulated because of the powder options.I know that it's said you need 2150fps for a dangerous game round. However if my Double shoots good and regulates at 2000fps I think that's where I'm going to stay. Just saying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!