Mauser M88 Sporting Rifle

HWL

AH elite
Joined
Aug 29, 2016
Messages
1,826
Reaction score
4,832
Location
Germany
Media
209
Hunted
RSA, Namibia, Germany, Austria, Norway, Finland
This thread is for all thouse who sit at home now, in their corona isolation and look for some gun porn....

...and for all, who already own and love a Mauser M88......

I know, Gert is one of this guys. ;)

Won at a gun auction this week..... Mauser M88 in 8mm Mauser, J bore, .318 dia, aka 8x57I.

k881.jpg
k882.jpg
k883.jpg
k884.jpg
k885.jpg
k886.jpg



HWL
 
A fine old rifle....wish it could tell some hunting stories.
 
I like the old muzzle loader style look. I used to think building a mauser in the style of a Kentucky long rifle or a Hawkin plains rifle would be fun. Sort of like this.
 
Restauration is done....
DSC04188.JPG
DSC04189.JPG
DSC04190.JPG
DSC04191.JPG
DSC04192.JPG
DSC04193.JPG
DSC04194.JPG
DSC04195.JPG


HWL
 
Sweet! I love that unique bolt handle.
 
What a transformation! Did you do all the work yourself, if so, how did you lighten up the stock that much? I really like it!
 
Now, why on earth would a cartridge boltgun have a ramrod with it? Or is that just a fancy retrofied cleaning rod for the traditionally-minded Late-19th Century German?
 
What a transformation! Did you do all the work yourself, if so, how did you lighten up the stock that much? I really like it!

No.... there are jobs I cannot,... for example to (re)cut checkering and blueing.

HWL
 
Now, why on earth would a cartridge boltgun have a ramrod with it? Or is that just a fancy retrofied cleaning rod for the traditionally-minded Late-19th Century German?

The "ramrod" is original, and it has a thread for a brush to clean the barrel.

I also never have seen an arrangement like this, but it is factory made.


HWL
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,300
Messages
1,572,066
Members
169,487
Latest member
KathyKidwe
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top