Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Australia/NZ
Hunted
USA, New Zealand, Namibia, Spain
There's been some threads on lost luggage, but what about the luggage itself. Has anyone had any trouble with theft from checked luggage, and what concerns me the most is stuff added to your luggage by the handlers. Most luggage now a days is zippered soft sided. I've seen videos of how easy it is to get into those and am wondering if I need secure hard sided luggage.

I carry nothing of value in my checked bag.
If someone really wants a shirt they can have it.

Adding stuff? If I were headed back along a known smuggling route perhaps I'd give it a passing thought.

If you are concerned, buy a hard case.

I carry nothing of value in my checked bag.
If someone really wants a shirt they can have it.

Adding stuff? If I were headed back along a known smuggling route perhaps I'd give it a passing thought.

If you are concerned, buy a hard case.

+1

If they want what is in your bag it isn't going to matter if it is a hard case or a soft sided one. A screwdriver can pop the latches on a hard one just as quick as a pen can open a soft sided one with a zipper.

As was mentioned I don't carry anything expensive or important in my checked luggage except for my firearms. If the thief wants to rummage around in my dirty underwear I'll let them. All important items come with me in my carry on.

In more then 20 years of air travel, average 10.000 miles per year, I never had anything missing in the luggage.
Except that twice (only twice) the luggage was "lost", but received the next day.
In these two circumstances the reason was too short time for connecting flights and the luggage came by next flight.

Thanks, that's what I suspected, but I haven't flown for a long long time.

In all my travels (Africa 2x, Europe many times, USA, 40+ years), only one pair of insoles from my wife's shoes stolen in Senegal!

I always not matter where I’m traveling to hunt take a carry on with my binoculars, camera, rangefinder and any other electronics I deem important.

I use hard cases with 4 master locks on each. One double rifle case and one "cube" that is just under maximum size allowable by Delta- I live near Atlanta so it virtually always Delta. My one trip to SA a travel companion had a couple inexpensive souvenirs stolen from her regular suitcase. Our stuff got through fine.

My wife and I checked two bags this summer on our trip to the Eastern Cape and on to Victoria Falls. We used a padlocked Pelican hard case for items that were replaceable but had some value. We also used a large soft sided roller bag for clothes and such.

We did not bother locking the soft roller bag and it had been rifled through with my wife's make-up bag contents scattered throughout. We surmised they were looking for jewelry. We believe this happpened at Victoria Falls airport both coming and going.

The Pelican hardcase is approx 14x19x24", tag with model # is missing. Most of the time this case would come out in the oversized area and we would have to look around for it in the different airports. Next time we will take two of the Pelican cases. When we arrived in Atlanta, we couldn't locate the Pelican and with baggage assistance they found it in the secure area where the rifles were stored even though we did not have firearms.

Edge

Atlanta's airport is always a crap shoot! Flying back from Hungary once I checked two high capacity shotguns at Customs then had to put them on a conveyor to baggage claim. I waited another 2 1/2 hours for them to make the 10 minute trip. An Atlanta policeman ended up finding them for me. Another trip they came right out on the baggage conveyor with the suitcases!!!

Sixty-nine countries and territories visited and no lost or stolen luggage to date. I have had lots of luggage delayed but none lost. I know lots of folks that not have been as lucky as me. I pack cheap clothes that if lost or stolen, it would be no great loss and that is most likely why I have had nothing missing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg