Looking for 45-70 loads

Thank you sincerely @sgt_zim im quite sure over my last two threads you've composed a small book. every bit of it I've copied down for future reference.

All of the cases I own currently are hornady2.040 cases already. Is it still safely possible to load hardcaste? Can I achieve the correct oal?

Also for an update I was able to source Alliant powders through my local dealer. He doesn't stock them but agreed to order them for me. I have five pounds of reloader#7 on the way. I expect it middle to the end of the month.

have to let me know how it works out for you.

as far as sticking lead in the cut-down hornady cases, shouldn't be a problem. stick to COAL. just keep in mind you'll have a lot of lead sticking out.

personally, I only use Starline brass for the lead bullets, but it shouldn't make much difference.

If you really want to try that, you should be able to get a bag of 100 Starline brass for about 50-55 USD. At lower velocities, say 1500 fps MV, 10 or more firings per brass is do-able.

Also, I don't notice any difference between Winchester Large Rifle and CCI large rifle (forget the number designation at the moment, have had a couple Bourbons this evening) primers with any of my 45-70 loads. Haven't tried Federal or Remington.

If you can get someone to import lead bullets for you, your choices are potentially quite large, depending on the importer. Lots and lots of 400 gr and heavier lead bullets available.

I've never poured my own, but @fourfive8 seems to have. He would be a better resource for that than I am.

Yes, you shouldn't have any problem loading most any bullet available in the slightly shorter case to any reasonable COAL. A .06" length difference simply isn't much. And so there is no confusion COAL = Cartridge Over All Length

Unless your rifle has an unusually long throat or freebore you should be able to determine your approx. maximum COAL with any bullet/case combination. Just re-size a case (don't prime or charge) and seat a bullet maybe 1/8 - 1/4" into the case, making sure it is seated straight. Slowly try to close the action until you feel the bullet ogive touch the lands. Remove dummy cartridge and using the seating die, nudge the bullet down another .1" or so. Try again to feel the bullet contact the lands. If you feel the bullet contact the lands, nudge the bullet again by a tiny bit. Repeat this process until you feel no contact with lands. Measure that COAL and that will be approx. (and safe with a tiny margin) "jam length" for that particular bullet in that length case. Record that number in your load log. Then you can play with various COALs from maybe .050" less than jam length to as deep as the bullet shank will allow. But a COAL of between .050" and .1" less than jam length would be a good place to start.

Since you have a single shot it is not critical to crimp. But I think it is always a good idea to crimp particularly for hunting ammo. That way even rough handling or dropping won't change seating depth/COAL. You can crimp into the crimp groove if the bullet has one or up against the rear edge of a drive band in a cast bullet. If you have a Lee Factory Crimp Die (collet type) you can even "snug" the mouth up against a smooth bullet shank most anywhere. Won't hurt anything just don't overdo it on a smooth jacketed shank. Crimping into a given bullet's crimp groove will determine the COAL.

The Hornady ammo with 325 grain pointy bullets were not liked by my 26 inch barrelled 1886 and they and all other "new rifle test ammo" were used as break in ammo. Only the Winchester 300 grain Nosler PP made the grade and they proved to be devastating on thin skinned game from deer to leopard.The short cases all went into the garbage.

So what does my daughter gift me this Christmas?
You guessed it - another over priced box of 325 grain ammo with short cases! Maybe I will use it as practice ammo for my 45-70 DR. :rolleyes:

@crs that is very interesting , I wonder why your rifle didn't like them?

Mine is fussy, the 325s are tight grouped and the 250monos I can hardly keep on an eight inch pie tin.

I managed to get a box of Winchester silvertips the yesterday day. New old stock from where I buy trapping supplies. They produced very nice groups but where 8"-8 1/2" low as compared to the hornadys.

I'm unsure if the change in elivation is do to the shells being eighties vintage or a lighter load. Or possible a combination of the two. I will say they were more polite to my shoulder.

The Hornady ammo with 325 grain pointy bullets were not liked by my 26 inch barrelled 1886 and they and all other "new rifle test ammo" were used as break in ammo. Only the Winchester 300 grain Nosler PP made the grade and they proved to be devastating on thin skinned game from deer to leopard.The short cases all went into the garbage.

So what does my daughter gift me this Christmas?
You guessed it - another over priced box of 325 grain ammo with short cases! Maybe I will use it as practice ammo for my 45-70 DR. :rolleyes:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

My wife and kids know better. If they're getting me gun or shooting stuff, they ask me for a hyperlink. ;)

Good evening gents , I have recently taken the plunge and bought my first reloader.

I am hoping I can impose apon some of you for load data on the 325 ftx bullets.

I'm looking to replicate the hornady leaver evaluation load in the 2050fps
Range.

Also as I buy all of my supplies locally I'm limited to hodgdon powders.

Thank you all for sharing your had earned wisdom with a novice.
@Skinnersblade
Lawrence the first thing you will have
to do is trim your cases 1/10 of an inch shorter to allow for the projectiles length. You should be able to get hogdon leverloution powder where you are. You WILL also need a set of Hornaday new dimension dies because of the shorter cases.
I would just stick to normal projectiles and avoid the hassle of loading the FTX.
To overcome the problem use a single shot 45/70 so you don't have feeding issues.
Bob

@sgt_zim thank you is rl7 a hodgdons powder?

Did you have to purchase a honnady new dimensions die to seat their bullets?
@Skinnersblade
Lawrence H4198/2207 works well in the MARLIN LA. I loaded a mates to 2,200fps using 300 grainers.
Yes you do need new dimension dies for the FTX.
Bob.

@Skinnersblade
Lawrence the first thing you will have
to do is trim your cases 1/10 of an inch shorter to allow for the projectiles length. You should be able to get hogdon leverloution powder where you are. You WILL also need a set of Hornaday new dimension dies because of the shorter cases.
I would just stick to normal projectiles and avoid the hassle of loading the FTX.
To overcome the problem use a single shot 45/70 so you don't have feeding issues.
Bob

I had a single shot 45/70 when I posted that bob I’ve sense sold it. It went to finance the .340 wby I bought and the sold.

My Henry is a single shot but I still intend to chrimp.

I'm not sure if that powder is available in my area. I will certainly be calling around to see though.
@ Skinnersblade
Lawrence you are a lucky vegemite. NO NEED TO USE THE SHORTER CASES IN YOUR SINGLE SHOT as you don't have to stick to standard COAL to cycle through the action.
Bob.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelan - no doubt it can and has. I've just heard of too many cases where they've failed is all.

So that's not something I would risk on a high end hunt, or a hunt for something which could eat me.
@Sgt Zim
If'n it can bite, claw or stomp me I'm sure I would want something heavier than the FTX. Preferably something over 400 grains with a wide meplat.
Bob

Bob, your comment above " If'n it can bite, claw or stomp me I'm sure I would want something heavier than the FTX. Preferably something over 400 grains with a wide meplat. "

This big old male stock killing leopard was taken with one 300 grain dose of .458 Nosler PP and it nailed him into the sand. The Nosler 300 grain has been the Bees Knees for my 45-90! On one deer at 110 yards, it took out 2 ribs going in and 4 ribs going out! Whole chest cavity was emptied!!!

Never get shot with one of these!

Attachments

• 53797_600x400.jpg
    53797_600x400.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 78
Bob, your comment above " If'n it can bite, claw or stomp me I'm sure I would want something heavier than the FTX. Preferably something over 400 grains with a wide meplat. "

This big old male stock killing leopard was taken with one 300 grain dose of .458 Nosler PP and it nailed him into the sand. The Nosler 300 grain has been the Bees Knees for my 45-90! On one deer at 110 yards, it took out 2 ribs going in and 4 ribs going out! Whole chest cavity was emptied!!!

Never get shot with one of these!
@crs
That will do . How us it with heavy pills.
Bob

Good evening gents , I have recently taken the plunge and bought my first reloader.

I am hoping I can impose apon some of you for load data on the 325 ftx bullets.

I'm looking to replicate the hornady leaver evaluation load in the 2050fps
Range.

Also as I buy all of my supplies locally I'm limited to hodgdon powders.

Thank you all for sharing your had earned wisdom with a novice.
Beartooth Bullets 350 Gr
and Speer 350 gr FN
with RL 7

D02DFC98-BEB4-48DA-B9EF-CD57C0715211.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SibylLasse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,