Looking For 243 For Kid's Hunting Rifle

Gents,

I don't mind all the semi-related talk about other rifles... I have the same disease as the rest of you! For this one, though, I am trying to stay within my specific parameters. I want the first to be a bolt action to start that training early... find target in scope, fire, work bolt, re-acquire, etc.

A pre-64 Winchester in 243 would be great... but is likely beyond what I'm hoping to spend on what's going to be used and abused by 3 kids in succession. In the past, I've had good luck with Winchester 670s, Zastava M70s, Husky 1640s, in above average shape, walnut, etc., in the $500-600 range. (I do all of the cleaning, bluing, bedding, stock work, re-crowning if necessary myself.) They've got significantly nicer/more expensive options waiting for them in the safe... this one is just to get started.

I guess what I'm trying to determine now is if the days of pretty nice commercial 98s are over. (I'm not wedded to a 98... if someone had a Savage 10 or Howa 1500 that met the criteria I'd be just as interested.)
Thanks for the update, and that helps me keep an eye out for you. I don't think the days of affordable Mauser 98 style sporters are over, just maybe a little harder to find. I just bought a 1972 Interarms Mark X in 308 Winchester from another member of this forum a couple months back for $500 with a scope, so the deals are still out there if you look. I'll keep an eye out here in North Texas and let you know if I find anything that is a good match.

OP

Some options in your price range:

Old and not collectible, but not terrible:

I like this one, classy and could certainly be restored to be something an old man worth $50m might still shoot to remember his youth:

Contemporary, but not fugly:

That's about it. Of the 300+ guns I looked at, I found three under $750 that aren't soulless plastic monstrosities.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.24.54 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.24.54 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.24.55 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.24.55 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.08 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.08 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.09 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.09 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.17 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.17 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.19 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.19 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 20
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.21 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.25.21 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 20
OP

Some options in your price range:

Old and not collectible, but not terrible:

I like this one, classy and could certainly be restored to be something an old man worth $50m might still shoot to remember his youth:

Contemporary, but not fugly:

That's about it. Of the 300+ guns I looked at, I found three under $750 that aren't soulless plastic monstrosities.

That 99 is cool!

Gents,

Looking for something in .243 to be a kid's first hunting rifle. Only interested in walnut/blued. (They're going to get traditional and they're going to like it!) Not looking for a bank buster, but also not looking for something beat to hell. If you have something that seems to fit the bill, please just shoot me a PM. Not required, but if it could go C&R, that would be a bonus.

Thanks y'all.
It's always fun shopping for a kids gun! I'd recommend keeping in mind that a good suppressor can step them up to .308 or even 7mm Mag. This is what I did for my youngest son and it worked out extremely well.

+1 to @Philip Glass 's suppressor recommendation... A suppressor had my youngest daughter stepping up from a .243 to a 30-06 with zero additional effort.. less "boom" and no more significant recoil made the transition easy..

Seventeen years ago, I found my son a older Ruger Model 77 in .243 with a chopped off stock at a local gun show for $300. It was too forward heavy, but I didn't bother with having work done, because I knew that it was a temporary situation.

He got his first deer at 8 with it (a doe), his first buck with it at 10 (nothing to write home about), and a nice pronghorn when he was 15 (after adding a rubber recoil pad to lengthen the LOP). All DRT shots!

When he was 13, he had to have an AR, so he picked up one with his own money. Just like his dad did in 1978!

He got a beautiful wood stocked Weatherby .30/06 as an Eagle Scout gift when he was 15, but it remains a safe queen.

He got a Tikka T3 in .308 for his 18th Christmas. That is his "go-to" deer rifle now.

His wife game him a Tikka T3 stainless/synthetic in .300 Win Mag for Christmas last year. He now has plans for Rocky Mountain game on his mind while he is young enough to do strenuous DYI hunts.

He was going to shoot a croc in Mozambique with my .416 in 2021, but it just so happened that he had gotten himself married two weeks before departure, so that was done.

I bought his sister a really neat factory short stocked Remington Model 7 in .260 Remington with good quality Nikon scope (locally) for $450 a few years later and told her she could have it when she got her first deer. She immediately lost interest in hunting...

Now, I'm waiting on grandchildren...

But, I might just have to keep that .260 for myself.

I think a .243 makes a good starter deer rifle (much better than a .22 caliber centerfire).
I also think that a .257 or reduced recoil 6.5 (.260), might be a little better.

Although, the bullet selection we have now with factory loads throws much of my "conventional wisdom" out the window!

There is/was a Ruger M77 blued steel/walnut stock in 243 Win. at my local Scheel's in Dallas-Ft. Worth on their used rack, and has been there for at least several weeks if not longer. I don't recall the exact price, but think it was around $800 or so. I'll look for it when I'm (almost certainly) there later this week.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.41.26 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.41.26 AM.png
    645.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.41.28 AM.png
    Screenshot 2023-09-06 at 7.41.28 AM.png
    545.5 KB · Views: 24
I know, crazy right? I think they also have one in that price range, but it's a 7mm Mag. :)

If it were a 300 WM it would have already been in my safe :D

My oldest boy started with a model 7 in 243, took his first elk with it, youngest started with a nice little laminate stocked model 7 in 7mm-08 and my ex wife the same in 260 REM. All great rifles that did their job without any wood work. I actually thought about the featherweight pre-64 route but couldn’t talk myself into cutting one after I cut down a Belgium Browning BAR stock and lost sleep for years.

Gents,

Looking for something in .243 to be a kid's first hunting rifle. Only interested in walnut/blued. (They're going to get traditional and they're going to like it!) Not looking for a bank buster, but also not looking for something beat to hell. If you have something that seems to fit the bill, please just shoot me a PM. Not required, but if it could go C&R, that would be a bonus.

Thanks y'all.
@clockwork_7mm_gator
Instead of a 243 why not a lovely little 2nd hand ruger or Savage 10 in 250 Savage. Far better cartridge.
Bob

Not sure what your definition of bank buster is, but I'd check out the Henry long ranger .243 if it's in your budget. I have one in 223 and it's very lightweight and accurate with beautiful wood and a classic feel. In local forums though it seems like there are plenty of folks looking to trade off .243's so you shouldn't have to look long.
@wkndwarrior
They're looking to trade off their 243s because they ave realised they make a lot of noise for very little result.
In AUS we have a say All noise and no go to sum up some cars. The same can be said about the 243s.
Bob

My kids started with a post-64 featherweight 257 that I put a basic stock on , cut to youth length. They grew up and daughter still hunts that rifle, now with the original stock.
@AimSmall
The 257 Roberts is a very versatile cartridge.
20210115_123439.jpg

Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RayHumble

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on RR 314's profile.
HOW MUCH ARE THEY?? PLAIN? CAMO? THX, SETH
USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.