AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Dallas Safari Club, Houston Safari Club, SCI,NRA
Hunted
Alaska, Mexico, Inuvik NWT, Canada, Yukon, BC, Argentina, Limpopo, SA,Namibia, Africa
I was informed that wild lions in South Africa are importable back to the U.S.? Lions that have never been bred or captured or caged. Is this a rumors or fact ?

Per conservation force
IMG_4738.jpeg

Does anyone know a first class PH in S. Africa to hunt free range lions that are importable to the United States. I am not interested in previously caged or domestic lions.

To my knowledge no such thing

plenti of huntable but no importation to US

I believe you can hunt Free Range Lions in S. Africa. Look at the chart above.

Never heard of them being imported into US. Someone speak up here. The paperwork needed is the question. Need to hear from people who have currently successfully done this

I’ve been told of a hunt or two but they’re VERY expensive. A 21 Day Full Bag in Tanzania is cheaper than the prices I’ve seen. I have no clue if the animals hunted have been approved or not. You should contact conservation force and inquire. You might also want to ask which outfitters were used if they were approved

I have never spoken to them, but coenraad vermaak safaris claims to have had lions approved approved from their 240,000 acre Kalahari area and a management plan approved by US fish & wildlife. There is a lot written on their website. I’d also second asking conservation force which areas and outfitters have been approved previously if you are set on hunting South Africa.

Never heard of them being imported into US. Someone speak up here. The paperwork needed is the question. Need to hear from people who have currently successfully done this
You are not likely to hear from anyone publicly on AH unless you search them out with references from outfitter. The number of hunters shooting a put and take CBL lion vs hunting a wild/wild managed lion in South Africa is likely 100 to 1 or more. Then it would be an even smaller group interested in making it public on an open forum.

You are not likely to hear from anyone publicly on AH unless you search them out with references from outfitter. The number of hunters shooting a put and take CBL lion vs hunting a wild/wild managed lion in South Africa is likely 100 to 1 or more. Then it would be an even smaller group interested in making it public on an open forum.
I think it’s WAY less than 100:1

Unless something has changed Zimbabwe mature male lion may be imported into the USA.

There are several areas including Some of the Matetsi units.
Expect the cost of the hunt. Nortth of $50,000.00.
You might give Clive Halimore a call.

Lon

I think it’s WAY less than 100:1
We will never know. The numbers aren’t easy to find on either side. However, I don’t think more than a handful of wild/Wild managed lions would get taken by trophy hunters each year from South Africa from areas that could qualify for import.

We will never know. The numbers aren’t easy to find on either side. However, I don’t think more than a handful of wild/Wild managed lions would get taken each year from South Africa from areas that could qualify for import.
The numbers were be heard range from 1-3 most years

How a perspective client can identify wild lion offer in South Africa, if almost all hunting is done in a fence?
Or, to rephrase the question, in which specific areas wild lion can be hunted in south Africa?

Contact Coenraad Vermaak Safaris, Spear Safaris( Ernest Dyason ) Garry Kelly Safaris

Contact Coenraad Vermaak Safaris, Spear Safaris( Ernest Dyason ) Garry Kelly Safaris
True.

This is from their(CV safaris) web page, and OP may take a look into it:

As a result of impeccable wild Lion conservation programmes, we are proud to announce that 2 of the hunting areas we operate safaris in have been approved by US Fish and Wildlife, thus allowing Lion trophies from these areas to be imported into the USA. We do not offer canned or captive bred Lion hunting at all! Lion quotas are not “a given” in our carefully managed conservation driven areas. Permits only become available from time to time. For example, in 2015 we hunted 2 Lions, none in 2016 and we have 1 permit for a Lion in 2017. Our Lion hunts are the real deal, vast tracts of land and the Lions are wild. South Africa boasts the fastest growing wild Lion population in Africa, estimated at approximately 2800 and counting. Wild Lion hunting quotas are extremely conservative and sound management principles dictate these quotas

I have never spoken to them, but coenraad vermaak safaris claims to have had lions approved approved from their 240,000 acre Kalahari area and a management plan approved by US fish & wildlife. There is a lot written on their website. I’d also second asking conservation force which areas and outfitters have been approved previously if you are set on hunting South Africa.
Same here. Not spoken directly but I,ve seen the area and it is huge. Heard only good things about the area and the wildlife management practices. Quotas are very limited.

Unless something has changed Zimbabwe mature male lion may be imported into the USA.

There are several areas including Some of the Matetsi units.
Expect the cost of the hunt. Nortth of $50,000.00.
You might give Clive Halimore a call.

Lon
I agree with Lon. Lou was my PH on my Tokoloshe awesome hunt! We discussed lion and Lon is spot on about his son Clive specializing on lion in Zim.

Would have also suggested other African countries thought the question was about SA only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FinnSanbor

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning

Buffalo encounter this morning!

here with available dates for 2024/25