Leopard Bowhunting Setup

keegangobey

Reaction score
Media
hey guys

hope the hunting season is going well for all!!!!

i have a question for a bowset up for leopard. i know it is dangerous game but in terms of rifle hunting a leopard can be taken with a much smaller caliber than most dangerous game! is this the same in bow hunting....what setup would be good enough????

i know its still dangerous game so would rather be sure and ask someone with experience!!!

Many thanx

Hi Keegan,

It is not nessicary to use a high poundage bow, any modern compound of no less than about 65# will suffice. Make sure that you practise extensively in (pitch) darm conditions, a kisser button will go a long way in ensuring your anchor point stays consistant as you will not be able to see through your peep, regardless of how big it is. Also ensure that your sight light is an adjustable reostat model as too much light can hinder your shot selection as your pins will appear to have a much larger halo which hinders accurate shooting. Lastly use a Lumenok (lighted nock) as this is a great aid in showing not only you, but also your Proffesional hunter where the shot impacted as you will not be able to see it otherwise. Remeber to practise drawing and shooting often in totally dark conditions. Pick a spot and take your time!

All the best of luck and remember to take a great many photos!

Regards,

Engee Potgieter

awesome thanx. i arrow weight is just under 500gr and the head is 125gr. my bow is 70lbs. would i have to change anything???

That should be lots of KE, especially given what Engee stated.

Best penetration will be with a two blade.
But, if you have an accurate set up that may not be a consideration.

Accuracy is everything, get your arrows to hit the spot 5 out of 5 times! You might even want to back off the poundage so as to be able to slowly and smoothly draw your bow back. All the cats have highly developed central nervous systems and don't take a shot too well, as in the aren't that tough. But ensure you use VERY sharp blades and a multi blade or large cutting diameter broadhead will go a long way in ensuring your blood trail will be prolific, and short. But trust me, the practise is key, it helps you weed out any and all issues before your hunt. Wear the thick jacket you will that evening to see if you get string slap and practise with the exact same arrow/broadhead combination you will be hunting with. As for broadheads you can take a look at the Phantom range by Muzzy, which are absolutely fantastic broadheads and leave a devastating wound channel.

wow....thanx so much guys..really appreciate the advice and help!!!! hopefully everything comes together. if it does pics will follow!!!

All the best and enjoy it!!

If you can't see throught your peep, how do you aim???

If you can't see throught your peep, how do you aim???

I doubt you will get an answer to your question from the OP.. This was posted 12 years ago..

However, having done lots of night hunting with a bow, there is no need to see your peep as long as you are very comfortable with your anchor point. That's why INGOZI suggested a kisser button. You can "feel" your anchor point without needing to see your peep. If you have a rock-solid, consistent anchor point and you can see your pin(s), there is a 99% chance you are correctly aligned with your peep. If you were not, it's likely that the peep itself would be obscuring your view of the pins.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross