Large Rifle Magnum Primers -Federal

soumya sarkar

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Are these slowly coming back in the market? I received a notification that some Federal 215 are available, but could find anything on checking after 30 mins.

I’ve seen them in limited quantities at the local scheels recently (only selling them in 100 count boxes

There have been some circulating but they don’t last very long and there is a backlog of people who want them. The demand for them far outweighs the amount that hit the market. I have no doubt some of the jackals will be selling them for $200 a thousand on gunbroker. . .

Workmate saw them for sale, limit 3 boxes (100), $11 per. Gold Medal for $13 this evening, northern Ohio. I have not seen any yet here in southwest Ohio for sale.

Believe you are correct, at least a first wave. I grabbed 2 bricks. Should be good for a couple years now... Unless I pick up competitive shooting again.

Workmate saw them for sale, limit 3 boxes (100), $11 per. Gold Medal for $13 this evening, northern Ohio. I have not seen any yet here in southwest Ohio for sale.
By the time you add HAZMAT it will be close to 200 a brick if the limit is held at a brick. You can forget the days of 30.00 bricks of primers.

By the time you add HAZMAT it will be close to 200 a brick if the limit is held at a brick. You can forget the days of 30.00 bricks of primers.
I asked my fellow hunter to get me 3 sleeves of Federal 215 plus a pound of IMR 4350. Cost was $68 after tax. Primers were $8 per sleeve. Powder at $40.

I asked my fellow hunter to get me 3 sleeves of Federal 215 plus a pound of IMR 4350. Cost was $68 after tax. Primers were $8 per sleeve. Powder at $40.
That's 80.00 a brick (one of the better prices) and if you paid HAZMAT that would tack on 20.00 min. They are out there they are just harder to find. Usually when I buy primers it's by the case of 5k. For the last few years very few places have wanted to sell cases (lack of supplies I get it). All that to say, we are still not going to see 30.00 bricks of primers again, IMHO.

I'm willing to pay $100 a brick if I can find them. Much better that paying 300 plus at GB and other places :)

I paid $15 a brick at Gun Depot in east Dallas Tx. Only bought 3. Don't get excited, though--that was 8 yrs ago, and they've been out of business for a year.

High shipping and Hazmat fees but with scarcity you have a price to pay. tleast better than GB, and I ended up buying a brick..

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.02.03 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.02.03 PM.png
    970.5 KB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.02.05 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-15 at 3.02.05 PM.png
    791.9 KB · Views: 51
I was able to pick up 1000 Federal 210M last weekend (1 case limit). I had to pay (gulp) $78 for 'em, but from what I've been hearing...that was a pretty good price. I bought 3000 210M just before the pandemic of Wuhan a few years back and only paid $47/1000. Oh how times have changed.

Just out of curiosity, is there a significant difference in pressure for the 215 vs. the 215M? I was able to purchase just one brick of the 215M (match) primers prior to the pandemic, but have been looking in vain for the non-match version. If there isn't much difference, maybe I'll just stick with what I have; it should be sufficient for quite a while.

Just out of curiosity, is there a significant difference in pressure for the 215 vs. the 215M? I was able to purchase just one brick of the 215M (match) primers prior to the pandemic, but have been looking in vain for the non-match version. If there isn't much difference, maybe I'll just stick with what I have; it should be sufficient for quite a while.
It is the same primer, same cup, same anvil, and same compound. The only difference is who actually made it. The match version is made by someone who has been their a while. The thought is they apply the compound more consistently (because they have been doing it longer). You will not see any difference other than the possibility of lower SDs and ESs that is the only difference.

I echo the above, you will be even better off with the M primers. As is they are very hard to get so use them to your advantage.

Thanks for the information. The match primers were the only Federal magnum rifle primers that I could find at the time, so it looks like the blind hog found an acorn this time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warpig602.0

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross