Know Anyone Who Can Turn a Barrel?

Leelanau Man

AH member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I was hoping someone may have the name of someone that can turn barrel blanks to finished dimensions from a drawing? I have been looking locally and coming up with nothing. So if you have a name and contact please let me know.

Thanks!

Blanks you are already in possession of? Or are you wanting them to turn their own blank into a barrel, just to specific dimensions that you wish?

ER Shaw will build barrels in a wide variety of dimensions and weights.. something they do might be very close to the specs you are looking for... and they are set up to do a wide range of calibers as well... They are pretty backlogged right now with about a 6 month wait... in the past I have had them build barrels for me closer to the 60-90 day time frame..

For premium barrels, my maker of choice is Shilen.. Ive always gotten outstanding customer service and outrageously accurate barrels from them.. they also make a pretty wide variety of contours and weights, calibers, etc.. you'll pay a bit more for a Shilen.. but if they make what you are looking for.. you wont be displeased.. youre getting the cats pajamas when you get a Shilen..

http://www.shilen.com/contours.html

I'd venture a guess that if you called ER Shaw or Shilen and asked them to build a true custom based on drawings (nothing they currently produce is close enough to what youre looking for) either might be willing to do a one off, custom job for you.. I've spent a good bit of time in the Shilen factory.. they are a big enough shop to have the tools and capability to accommodate about anything.. but small enough that a one off order probably isnt out of the question... But... I'd guess thats going to be a pretty expensive proposition... (but probably at least worth making the call if its something you really want)..

Another option might be to have a barrel maker build you a bull barrel with the chamber and rifling you want.. at that point there are a number of competent gunsmiths that can re-profile that barrel on a lathe to just about anything you want as long as its safe... it would be an expensive solution.. but something I would think would be doable..

For example.. there is a gunsmith I've used over in Plano that would be up to such a task....

he isnt anyone I'd want to actually punch the bore, create rifling, etc.. he just doesnt have the tools or the expertise to do that.. but finishing out a short chamber, cutting a barrel down, adding a crown, or even re-profiling a "heavy" barrel to something lighter that meets my specs/requirements.. he would be more than willing to do that, has the tools to do it, and I think would do a fine job at it.. He'd likely just charge me a small fortune to do it lol...

Last edited:
So they are already in my possession and the specs are not like anything that I could find through any of the above makers. I am working on a shotgun to double rifle conversion and I figured 44-40 is a nice very low pressure cartridge to get my feet wet on the process with. So the shank need to be the right size and length for me to thread and insert into the monobloc and the taper would match the original shotgun barrel (or thereabout).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StephaineT

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!