Just-finished Mauser Project

Update: I am getting under 1 inch groups using 170gn HCSS Speer with 47.0gn of RL15 and with 160gn TTSX loaded with 49.0gn of Varget. Both are 0.020" off the lands.

I cannot wait to see what happens with the second loading of the new brass. I full-length resize, but only bump the shoulder back about 2 to 3 one-thousandths of an inch. GENERALLY, this improves the groups. We'll see....

This is a great informative thread to follow...your rifle is a beautiful piece of art for sure.While visiting a friend in Namibia recently he assisted me in working on re-loads for my 8x57JS Small ring Turkish Mauser .
It seems in Namibia they are taking re-loading very serious and are extremely knowledgeable in this regards. Wollie from Aranos is extremely competent in his re-loading skills.
They frequently are having long range shooting days. He managed to work out a load for the 8x57JS using the Barnes TTSX 160 gn flat based bullet..

My aim was to use this bullet to shoot out to 300, 400 and 500 meters doing tight groupings.

We managed to shoot out to 200 meters hitting the 100mm diameter gong where I aimed at,...
Unfortunately we could not completed the load development since the 50x bullets was not enough to do the complete planned re-load procedures.

What we saw was the extremely accurate shot placement on the 100 mm gong at 200 meters ..

I then took the rifle to shoot a Springbuck ram generously given by Wollie to me for free. My son Ruan already shot his first Kalahari Oryx . Then it was my turn, shooting my first Kalahari Springbuck ram with one horn. I used my Mauser 8x57JS, Barnes 160 gn TTSX Bullets.I shot the Springbuck at 220 meters through the neck at 2820 f/s.
b07d6ee4-1438-41ea-befb-234fd896423e.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlfonzoPal

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!