Is the Winchester Model 70 Safari Express too light?

My M70 .375 H&H weighs a little over 9 lbs. when ready to hunt. My 404J weighs about 1 lb. more. I do not consider either of them to be 'heavy recoiling' rifles... especially if you shoot them often in practice. I love these rifles, but would be even happier if they both weighed about 1 lb. less.

Some things to consider with rifle weight, especially manufacturer claims.

There is a modern trend towards light rifles. Manufacturers know this.

As such, their 'official' weight method involves weighing at least a couple of examples, picking the lightest one, then rounding down.

To whit; my Win 70 Safari Express in 375H&H was not 9lbs. It was more like 9lbs 4oz.

That's 'naked'. But most people don't carry and shoot 'em naked.

So, 9lbs and change naked. Add QD rings, bases and a 1-6x24mm scope. 10lbs and change. Add 3 rounds and a sling. 10.5lbs or so.

Personally I think that's a good weight for a 375. Mine was very comfortable to shoot with a scope, and plenty comfortable enough shooting the irons at 9.5lbs or so.

1lb less would've been absolutely fine, but I'd be perfectly happy if it were 1lb more.

So the 458 model is the lightest of the 3? With the highest recoil?
Yes, but I can attest that the recoil of the .375 and .416 is very manageable. I added weight to the butt of my .375 to counter the front-heaviness. In retrospect, I wish I would have fluted the barrel as I now have a pussycat that perfectly balances but is a touch heavy.

Last edited:
Some things to consider with rifle weight, especially manufacturer claims.

There is a modern trend towards light rifles. Manufacturers know this.

As such, their 'official' weight method involves weighing at least a couple of examples, picking the lightest one, then rounding down.

To whit; my Win 70 Safari Express in 375H&H was not 9lbs. It was more like 9lbs 4oz.

That's 'naked'. But most people don't carry and shoot 'em naked.

So, 9lbs and change naked. Add QD rings, bases and a 1-6x24mm scope. 10lbs and change. Add 3 rounds and a sling. 10.5lbs or so.

Personally I think that's a good weight for a 375. Mine was very comfortable to shoot with a scope, and plenty comfortable enough shooting the irons at 9.5lbs or so.

1lb less would've been absolutely fine, but I'd be perfectly happy if it were 1lb more.
Yeah that sounds fine for 375H&H, my comment was mostly in regards to the other 2 chamberings (416/458) being offered in supposedly the same weighted rifle.

I'll have to weigh my rifle when I get a chance but my initial impressions are that 9lbs as advertised sounds light for a .458 WinMag rifle. I wasn't planning on scoping this rifle.

I think the weight is just fine in 375. The 416 is a bit underweight but still not bad. If I owned one in .458 I’d add a mercury recoil reducer to the butt and some weight in the forend to compensate. I did this with my Kimber 458 Lott and it helped a bit with recoil.

I have both .375 H&H and 416 rem in the M70. Without finding a scale, I am positive my 416 weighs a bit less, I assume it is the same barrel with more material removed. Both rifles shoot very well and are very manageable. I carry them a hell of a lot more than I shoot them, so I don't see a need to add more weight to the mix.

If shooting form the bench for some reason, you could also add a shoulder pad, that will keep things comfortable enough to sighting in or load testing, then move to sticks.

My 416 is 9 lbs empty, just under 11lbs scoped and loaded. I think it shoots well at 11, but is a bit heavy for long stalks. 10lb would be about right balance for a 416. The 9 lb sans scope makes it a bit sporty to shoot all day at targets, but not terrible except from a bench (that sucks even at 11lbs when a headache is included).

I got got one in .375 H&H and it's not bad at all.

I also have a post-64, that I wouldn't mind parting with even though it did the trick on a Kudu and Gemsbok using old Winchester Silvertip ammo.

If a man can have too many .375 H&H's, I think I may have reached that point.

I have a 7.8 lb 458, a 8.5 lb lott and a 9.5 lb 500j.

I found the .375H&H Safari Express a pleasure to shoot. The .375H&H Alaskan is a fair bit more abrupt: to the point where I thought a steel floorplate / trigger guard might mellow it out a bit.

Haven't shot the .458 WM yet. Hoping it's not as brutal as the Ruger RSM in .458 Lott/WM I sold, but it is a couple pounds lighter even if the decelerator pad is comfy and it fits better. Beginning to think my personal threshold is the .375H&H magnum, especially in light of age and retinal safety. :)

Fit is everything, my 500j has less recoil than my newest 505 and it’s 2lbs lighter.

Yeah that sounds fine for 375H&H, my comment was mostly in regards to the other 2 chamberings (416/458) being offered in supposedly the same weighted rifle.

I'll have to weigh my rifle when I get a chance but my initial impressions are that 9lbs as advertised sounds light for a .458 WinMag rifle. I wasn't planning on scoping this rifle.
Many very good observations here, and some difference in opinion, as we all perceive recoil a bit differently.

My .375 M70 Safari Express - 10.6 pounds with scope snd sling- too front heavy, easy to shoot.
M70, 416 Remington Safari Express.10# with scope and sling, balanced, very tolerable to shoot.

M70 .375 ALASKAN- 8.8 pounds with scope and sling, very well balanced, easy enough to shoot, my favorite. I think the stock design and trimmer barrel made it very easy to shoot accurately. One of those rifles should have never sold.

The good news is that the M70 Safari Express is a good platform, and can be easily modified for best handling. I think the .416 Rem Mag is the sweet spot.

Then again, i haven't had the .458 Win Mag. May need to get one....

If you want a lighter M70 Safari Express .375H&H, you could always put an aluminum floorplate on it and drop it in a McMillan. I think that might save a pound or so. The floorplate would be at least a half pound reduction. A little weight in the barrel never hurt off-hand shooting either.

Anyone here that specially owns the .458 WM model 70? Curious to hear your impressions on felt recoil. Haven't shot mine yet.

Have owned two of the older models, not the FN ones. The newer ones have a better stock design. Still a little short, get a slipp on pad if and add. Pistol grip is a little tight.

Anyone here that specially owns the .458 WM model 70? Curious to hear your impressions on felt recoil. Haven't shot mine yet.
I do have a new FN M70 Safari Express, in .458, fitted with a Vortex Red dot.
I've been shooting this rifle regularly in our local monthly Big Bore shoot here. I can shoot it all day long with full VVN530 loads, standing of course, and have no discomfort during and after shooting at all.
Stock design is just right for me, and noteworthy, I am a lefty...

I do have a new FN M70 Safari Express, in .458, fitted with a Vortex Red dot.
I've been shooting this rifle regularly in our local monthly Big Bore shoot here. I can shoot it all day long with full VVN530 loads, standing of course, and have no discomfort during and after shooting at all.
Stock design is just right for me, and noteworthy, I am a lefty...
Good to hear! Now I just need to find some ammo and and I'll break mine in.

Looking at the latest Safari Express rifles on the Winchester website, the rifle weighs exactly 9lbs 0 oz for all 3 options (375H&H, 416 RemMag and 458 WinMag.

I've heard Kevin Robertson state that a 375H&H rifle should weigh 10lbs due to recoil so I imagine even heavier rifles would be recommended for the 416s and 458s?

My CZ 550 (375) weighs 0.3 lbs heavier than my Model 70 (458). I'm guessing I'll be in for some stout recoil? What weight is everyone else running on their DG rifles?
If I had a.458 with a bit to much recoil I would put a good muzzle brake on it and add a little weight to inside of stock preferably bedded mercury wt. but bedded lead will do nicely.
Best,
Pat

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you