How much difference does 1/2 LOP make?

7MAG

AH enthusiast
Joined
Oct 3, 2021
Messages
270
Reaction score
315
Location
United States
Media
18
Finishing up my 7mag build and I have 2 decelerators…1” and .5”. Both feel pretty good I believe I’m somewhere in between the two. I know I can sand down the 1” to 3/4. However, with heavy clothing during hunting season the .5 may be more practical. I notice on a downward angle(tree stand) with the 1” I have to push my head farther forward, not as much with the .5, I guess the only benefit to the 1” is the added recoil reduction. What are your thoughts?
 
Last edited by a moderator:
I have two HS precision stocks I bought used but unbedded. One was 13.5” one was 14”. I sent them both back to make them 13.75” which is what every other rifle I have is. I like everything to feel as similar as possible on LOP.
 
I would go with the LOP that most closely replicates the LOP you will most likely use while hunting.

I don't worry much with recoil reduction. A 7mm Rem Magnum is not bad at all unless you rifle and scope weights less than 6 pounds, compared to to some of the monsters discussed on this forum.

If the .5" puts the trigger at 1/2 of the first joint of your index finger, I would go with that one.
 
When in doubt, I would go with the 1/2

Provided you plan on hunting with a jacket on: Ideally imo you set your eye relief and sight in with a recoil pad. When you hunt, you remove it. No more turkey necking
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,289
Messages
1,570,722
Members
168,993
Latest member
OctaviaLam
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top