Has anyone booked or flown Delta to JNB and back through CPT lately?

Last edited by a moderator:
My flight was also 4/9 and back 4/23. They never looked twice at carry ons or personal items.

We left from Boston they put both my carry on and personal item on scale combined weight couldn’t be over 20 or so pounds I can’t remember exact number off top of my head

Just got back from SA flying Qatar the only surprise is they only allow 1 checked bag unless you pay extra. Having flown Ba, SA, Emirates, and Delta internationally, Qatar was the only one with a one bag allowance.
I'm a one checked bag flyer but did they charge extra for the gun case?

Last edited:
Somewhat OT, but I can't see flying Delta's Plus seats when you can get business on Qatar for around the same price.

Reached out this week to Travel Express about October plans. Their reply to inquiry: Thanks for the email regarding your trip to South Africa. We regret that we are unable to help with your trip as we are not taking on new clients at this time. Our top priority is to provide the best all around service to our travelers and in order to do this we have made this tough choice. We remain dedicated to serving our current and previous clients.

I'm really sorry that we can't take on your reservation and hope you have a great trip to South Africa.
Yes, I reached out to them and received a similar response - below.
In the end, the Delta flight was not showing up for reservations anyway so I just booked on Qatar.
My daughter spent a deployment just outside of Doha at Al Udeid Air Base so it will be interesting for me to get eyes on the area as her and I make our approach......

Thanks for the email. We regret that we are unable to help with your trip as we are not taking on new clients at this time. Our top priority is to provide the best all around service to our travelers and in order to do this we have made this tough choice. We remain dedicated to serving our current and previous clients.

I would recommend that you look at flights with Qatar Airways as that is what we are putting a lot of clients on. We are hesitant to book the direct from Atlanta flight on Delta as they have had so many cancellations.

I'm really sorry that we can't take on your reservation and hope you have a great trip to South Africa.

Kind Regards, Lori Spears

Okay, now instead of starting a new thread, what insurance do you guys use? I have always used TravelEx and like it, but I want to know if there is something out there that has great coverage should we get ill with the China virus and get trapped or need more medical care than just stitches at the local clinic.....

Okay, now instead of starting a new thread, what insurance do you guys use? I have always used TravelEx and like it, but I want to know if there is something out there that has great coverage should we get ill with the China virus and get trapped or need more medical care than just stitches at the local clinic.....
Previously used Travel Guard and Global Rescue but have since switched to Ripcord. It's a combination of both.

The above sentiment is kind of what we are feeling also, but wanted to get a pulse on the subject.
I just look at the ability to have only 2 flights, Boise - ATL - JNB and done in 24 hours, and I like it. Plus we are going to depart from Cape Town, so it would only be 2 flights back to Boise in less than 24 hours. I have flown a few different routes down there and in the end I like this one the best. Plus I have some American Express card credits sitting there for delta burning a hole in my pocket. Just not sure if I have enough trust to book with them yet......
I booked last year for a July 24th departure. We were set to return direct from CPT as we would be in the EC hunting. This is much better as the JNB-CPT-ATL flight is long, very long. We now must wait and see if they cancel and then have our agent get us on Qatar.
Yes Delta is the fastest way to Africa no doubt. There are other options however but I make my flight arrangements about 10 months out typically.

Our travel agent gets us a Ripcord policy that is travel insurance plus medical evacuation insurance and it costs little more than regular travel insurance.
You must have a good travel policy these days

I'm a one checked bag flyer but did they charge extra for the gun case?

They counted my bow case as one bag, if I wanted a 2nd it would have been a $100, I packed my bow case full and just took a carry on.

Our travel agent gets us a Ripcord policy that is travel insurance plus medical evacuation insurance and it costs little more than regular travel insurance.
You must have a good travel policy these days

I see a lot of discussion on ripcord. I have always used global rescue. Are they similar?

I see a lot of discussion on ripcord. I have always used global rescue. Are they similar?
Yes very similar. I have had GR memberships as well

I got Allianz insurance, $50k coverage for COVID, medical and rescue for $130. They also give you an embassy letter which is really a good idea right now. I think Qatar wants to see a copy of the embassy letter which also gives all of your coverage info.

I got Allianz insurance, $50k coverage for COVID, medical and rescue for $130. They also give you an embassy letter which is really a good idea right now. I think Qatar wants to see a copy of the embassy letter which also gives all of your coverage info.
Did that cover emergency medivac back to the states or repatriation of human remains? Those services can run in to the hundreds of thousands of dollars. Past threads on these situations speak of large unexpected financial issues. Oh and yes, they want cash up front. Related to that, IIRC, Montana or another western state doesn't launch a helicopter for less than 8k.

Here is a screen shot of what my policy says, but short answer is yes I’m covered.
A4CF7E9B-E48E-46CA-8DCF-CF4647BA65C8.png

Here is a screen shot of what my policy says, but short answer is yes I’m covered. View attachment 400930
Does it also cover the cost of your plane ticket like regular travel insurance? If so it’s a good price.
What is an embassy letter?

Does it also cover the cost of your plane ticket like regular travel insurance? If so it’s a good price.
What is an embassy letter?
Yes, an "Embassy Letter" is also unknown to me??

Quiet honestly, about all the letter is, it’s a proof of policy with coverage amounts and that it covers covid related medical care for international travel.

Qatar never asked to see anything having to do with insurance when I checked in

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg