Handgun Buffalo

Never made the statement that cattle are cape buffalo! Never said that I shot cattle in a chute, nor have I! Your assumptions are wrong!

I would hardly call rogue feral cattle domesticated! Get your facts straight!
Get my facts straight? The only facts we had to work with were what you wrote. The rest we would have to guess at.

Now if you want to say that you've taken a 2500 lb. wild, rogue bull with a .357, I would have to say that you were braver than I am. If I believed you.
 
Get my facts straight? The only facts we had to work with were what you wrote. The rest we would have to guess at.

Now if you want to say that you've taken a 2500 lb. wild, rogue bull with a .357, I would have to say that you were braver than I am. If I believed you.
All you have to do is ask. No need for guessing.

The biggest I have taken with a 357 magnum was probably around 1600-1700 lb cow. I used the following.

S&W model 27 6-1/2” barrel
158 grain Hornady XTP
H110
CCI magnum primer
Starline brass
Very very hot compressed load

This was an unexpected and unplanned kill that just happened. Not the greatest shot placement and a quick reload of two shots, for a total of eight. Not ideal, but it worked.
 
Never did a Cape buffalo but a water buffalo in Argentina with the 500. 440 gr cast performance bullet. And I know it’s not a Cape buffalo but the results were impressive to say the least.
IMG_4913.jpeg
 
Leaving in 5 days to South Africa for my 3rd trip hunting. This round I'll be doing something different and hunt for Buffalo with my Smith and Wesson 500. Looking for advice and experiences from handgun hunters that may help.Im very effective at 50 yds and plan on shooting 375 grain alloy buffalo bore loads with 400 gr solids for back ups.
I wouldn't hunt a buffalo with a handgun, but if I did I'd use the same setup you've got. Shoot straight, and listen to your Ph. Also don't take any shots you're not comfortable taking, let your PH know your comfort level prior to getting out there.
 
I've run some through my STI Perfect 10 without any problems.
 
I have hunt Cape Buffalo in South Africa using handguns.... successfully!

.476"-420g LFNGC bullets, one in a custom .475 Linebaugh, the other in a .475 Maximum. Both of them harvested very nice buffalo with sixguns.
Good morning sir. I have a BFR 7.5” 475 LB.
I am planning a Cape Buff hunt with it in 2027.
Can I ask your muzzle velocity? Penetration ? And how did it perform?

I have Rimrock 440 Gr WFN Gas Checked. At 1,150 fps.

Many thanks.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,307
Messages
1,572,362
Members
169,541
Latest member
ithunmersa1975
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top