Gun Case Size Restrictions

Delta

I just flew to Africa from Denver via Atlanta on Delta (13th Jan 2011) with an SKB double bow case and had no problems, case was checked in as normal and away I went, no hint of extra charges due to size. I also checked in a large snow board bag at the same time which is certainly oversize and again no issue with this either, although both oversize cases were well under the 50 lbs per item limit.
I think weight is more of an issue than size, as long as your cases are easy to handle and transport you should be good to go.

I'm dragging this old thread from the archives.
Starting to look at options for a case to fly with my Mauser M03 with two barrels/scopes/etc. Leaving from Belgium (Europe) always.

Are there any new rules/restrictions to observe, when travelling to Africa? Or do some African countries have new rules or different ones depending on destination?

Lastly, for the EU members, where would you buy Pelican cases in Europe? After reading some other threads on the topic, the Pelican 1700 comes out highly recommended. In the US this case is advertised around 220 USD without foam. In Europe, I found only one website offering them, but for around 430EUR (=570 USD)...

I'm dragging this old thread from the archives.
Starting to look at options for a case to fly with my Mauser M03 with two barrels/scopes/etc. Leaving from Belgium (Europe) always.

Are there any new rules/restrictions to observe, when travelling to Africa? Or do some African countries have new rules or different ones depending on destination?

Lastly, for the EU members, where would you buy Pelican cases in Europe? After reading some other threads on the topic, the Pelican 1700 comes out highly recommended. In the US this case is advertised around 220 USD without foam. In Europe, I found only one website offering them, but for around 430EUR (=570 USD)...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 10.15.34 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-18 at 10.15.34 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
thanks for the link @DieJager !
No problem, I had the same question as you did some time ago and researched the web. Already had the website bookmarked for future spending ;)

No problem, I had the same question as you did some time ago and researched the web. Already had the website bookmarked for future spending ;)
Have you travelled to Africa with a gun already @DieJager ? I would imagine that the hassles, rules and regulations for the Netherlands would not be too different from Belgium.

Have you travelled to Africa with a gun already @DieJager ? I would imagine that the hassles, rules and regulations for the Netherlands would not be too different from Belgium.
No, not yet. And will not in the near future. Next years hunt in SA I will use a rental. Just easier than al the extra work but I will do it somewhere along the line. You are already planning your next adventure it seems?

No, not yet. And will not in the near future. Next years hunt in SA I will use a rental. Just easier than al the extra work but I will do it somewhere along the line. You are already planning your next adventure it seems?
Not quite just yet. First marriage, and then we'll see. But in the mean time, I'd like to get my gear in order. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
genihi4888

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg