Game Distribution Resources?

channelkat

AH enthusiast
Joined
Jan 4, 2022
Messages
407
Reaction score
635
Location
New Mexico
Media
6
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Member of
NRA Patron, SCI Northern New Mexico
Hunted
Mozambique
I am still learning about all the African quarry and their distribution and I wondering, are there any more comprehensive resources (maybe a website with maps?) that illustrate African animal distribution?

I suppose the main issue is identifying those animals unique to a specific region.

For example, I am booked for a Mozambique hunt this year (Niassa), I feel like something must exist that easily identifies those species which might be more exclusive to the region. I would hate to go someplace and not appreciate/ consider something that I may never see again...

I have been half tempted to make a map on ArcGIS that I could use to quickly see all the animals in a particular country or concession, rather than just google the individual animals to get an idea.
 
I am still learning about all the African quarry and their distribution and I wondering, are there any more comprehensive resources (maybe a website with maps?) that illustrate African animal distribution?

I suppose the main issue is identifying those animals unique to a specific region.

For example, I am booked for a Mozambique hunt this year (Niassa), I feel like something must exist that easily identifies those species which might be more exclusive to the region. I would hate to go someplace and not appreciate/ consider something that I may never see again...

I have been half tempted to make a map on ArcGIS that I could use to quickly see all the animals in a particular country or concession, rather than just google the individual animals to get an idea.
Your outfitter should be able to tell you the endemic species there. Neat idea with the mapping (y)
 
Field Guide to African Wildlife by National Audubon Society is OK with range maps for broader overview.

Before I bought a Roberts’ book; I used it for birds in Africa too. Now I use it for cross reference for birds there for the additional pictures.
 
Field Guide to African Wildlife by National Audubon Society is OK with range maps for broader overview.

Before I bought a Roberts’ book; I used it for birds in Africa too. Now I use it for cross reference for birds there for the additional pictures.
The best resource I have found, so far, has been "A field guide to the larger animals of Tanzania", which is great/ useful, but a pan African resource seems ideal. I will definitely keep an eye out for the national audubon field guide. Thank you!
 
Last edited:
The best resource I have found, so far, has been "A field guide to the larger animals of Tanzania", which is great/ useful, but a pan African resource seems ideal. I will definitely keep an eye out for the national audubon field guide. Thank you!

Other place you may want to check for titles is Jacana Media. South Africa.

They publish field guides for several topics. I have a couple Lee Gutteridge books on tracking for mammals and another for tracking invertebrates. Everything they put out seems pretty good; fair amount of their stuff is used as text books for guide courses.

They have an “Antelopes of Africa“ I’d like to browse before buying. I actually think I have seen it in a lodge, but I can’t remember if it’s that one or something else that was fairly complete and I would like to have. I should check my journals, if I see something I usually write it down.
 
Thanks for the ideas Friends! I still feel like I ought to put a map together. If I ever take the time to do so I will share.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,324
Messages
1,572,923
Members
169,646
Latest member
xoilac21com2
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top