Alchemist

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NSA , SA Wingshooters
I have used G5 Montec's and G5 T3 mechanical in the past to hunt. They always worked for me. I had to switch to another Broadhead due to the fact that T3 blades are no longer available. I chose the G5 Mega Meat. It is a really good option. It leaves a massive blood trail and was easy to recover the animals. Due to the amount of grass this year, following the blood trails was extremely difficult but the Megameat wounds where massive.

Highly recommended.

gizmo

Sponsor
Since 2015
AH ambassador
Reviews
Reaction score
Website
www.rockinggranch.com
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
NRA, DSC, SCI, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
Hunted
Namibia-Khomas Highlands, Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
I’ll have to try those. I’ve always liked the G5 Monotec, it’s always done it’s job but I’ve always left a lot to be desired in blood trails.

Elton

AH member
Reaction score
I havr just ordered G5 Striker V2's which should be here next week, keen on trying it on my hunt at the end of June

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, New Zealand, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
The G5 Megameat is a mechanical broadhead and I've never felt compelled to go down that road. I don't bow hunt that much, but all of it has been with cut on contact broadheads.

I have used the G5 Montec exclusively for about 17 years, until now. It is still a great broadhead, however G5 only makes it in 85, 100 and 125 gr, catering mostly to deer hunters. I arrowed my P&Y elk at 28 yards with a 125 gr G5 Montec, using a 70# Mathews Switchback XT. Total arrow weight was about 460 gr and I didn't get a pass through. Having watched several of John Lusk's ( @Bowhuntr64 ) videos on testing broadheads and doing some more research on my own, I am moving up to 200 gr broadheads and 650 gr total weight arrows. I ordered some Iron Will single bevel, two blade broadheads back in February and just received a shipping notice that I will finally get them next week. In the meantime, I ordered some 200 gr VPA single bevel, two bladed broadheads and received them within a week. I have some 450 grain GrizzleyStik arrows to mate with the 200 gr field tips and broadheads. My targets blocks are going to get a workout this summer!

Ryan

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I'm careful with my broadhead choice, but not against mechanicals under the right circumstances. Their advantage is they'll create a massive wound channel ( 3 blades and 2 inches in this case), along with a large entrance and possibly exit would that can't seal up. But they'll take more energy to do that. For medium sized animals like warthog, impala or blesbok I have no doubt this head would still pass through using my set up. Larger plains game I could do with since I'm shooting a 510 grain arrow at 287 fps for plenty of penetration. Lighter set ups I'd be leary about. But with so many great broadheads out there my choices were to stick with my tried and true Slick trick and possibly Muzzy Trocar HB that I used. Then I had to go through Amsterdam, which doesn't allow broadheads at all and have my outfitter pick up what he could in South Africa for me. That made Slick Tricks the winner which worked without a flaw since I could find it in South Africa easily and I have had great success in the past.

Last edited:

Alchemist

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NSA , SA Wingshooters
Exit wound on a nice size Blue Wildebeest Bull. Ran about 30 meters. G5 Megameat.

DF5E16EE-7432-4380-99AC-DF4C6F165B14.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Elton

AH member
Reaction score
So there was an issue with the order and ended up taking a pack of the Rage Hypodermic +P NC

Will stick 2 of those in the quiver together with 2 DRT single bevel.
I havr just ordered G5 Striker V2's which should be here next week, keen on trying it on my hunt at the end of June

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MariaSumpt

Latest profile posts

Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
I have been looking at an option for a 505, that doesn't break the bank (that concern my have to yield), and is more in the 50-110, or 50 Alaskan range. However not easy to find a case, other than the Weatherby, of course. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Tam Dl wrote on xausa's profile.
Hello, do you have any information on your 505 SRE cartridge. Up here in Canada, there is talk about how the various 500s may exceed the 10 000 Joule limit recently imposed. Not that they do on paper, but you never know what they may infer or claim.
Eastern Cape Hunting Report Coming soon...

IMG_2658.JPG
IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_0899.JPG
IMG_0521.JPG
IMG_2066.JPG
IMG_2583.JPG
Jaynecobb wrote on cal pappas's profile.
I hate to bother you....I own 2 of your books including British bore rifle. I was hoping you might have more 10 bore loads. For the heavier and later rifles. Any help would be appreciated.
Gert Odendaal wrote on Av8or's profile.
Good day , Do you still have .375 H&H Magnum brass available to sell?