Future Safari

houston49

AH member
Joined
Mar 4, 2012
Messages
20
Reaction score
2
Media
1
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Is there a place in Africa where I can get a Grant's Gazelle, Lechwe, Common Waterbuck, Bushbuck and Sitatunga in one general location, or would I be required to do considerable travel? Any suggestions or info would help.
 
a little quick research, and I think all but the lechwe are in Tanzania, with the Grant's gazelle only huntable in Tanzania and Ethiopia. Sitatunga and Lechwe are commonly hunted in Zambia together, and I would wager waterbuck and bushbuck could be added in zambia as well. I believe you can go on a 10 day trip to Maasiland Tanzania for the Grant's(and other plainsgame.) It looks like the most you could get in one single safari would be 4 out of 5. If money was not a concern, putting a Zambia trip back to back with a Tanzania trip would probably be the best way to get those 5 in the same trip.

The only other considerations are there are 2 species of Waterbuck, and multiple species of Bushbuck, so if the ranges of the ones you specifically want overlap or not could be a concern. If any waterbuck or any bushbuck would work my above plan would be the best bet.
 
Looks like a few safaris, Sitatunga is not a go there and shoot one animal so if you are serious about them it would be best to go somwhere that gives you the best odds for one and hunt whichever others from your list occur there then Tanzania for your Gazelle and whatever else you are still missing with the exception of the Lechwe which you will need to do another separate safari for. 3 hunts 3 countries.
 
you don't think you could get a sitatunga and lechwe in Zambia?
 
Yup, I like the Zambia, Tanzania plan.
Spend enough time in the right places you can get it done.
 
Ya you guys are right. Kafue or Black Lechwe. Still an area change involved though but doable along with Sitatunga in 1 safari. 3 areas 2 countries 2 safaris. Either way it is still a Brown Bear, Stone Sheep, Javelina combo hunt.
 
Thanks everyone for your input. It is very helpful. I went to SA last year on my first trip and took 14 animals. It's somewhat addicting.
 
You'll definately get your animals in Zambia aside from the Grants. Consider some of the Impala or Puku as an alternative

Bangweulu Swamp area may yield all the rest, along with the Kafue Flats. You may not have to move areas either.

There was a post on here recently about a hunt done on the Kafue. Have a read through that and see what you think of the area.
It was titled "Recent hunt with Andrew Baldry at Royal Kafue Safaris in Zambia"
You can find it in the forum under Zambia Hunting.

All the best
Pete
 
houston49,

IF YOU GO ONCE-YOU WILL GO AGAIN-DEAL WITH IT!
 
I agree the Zambia-Tanzania route is the best.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,308
Messages
1,572,404
Members
169,559
Latest member
ModestoShe
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top