For Those That Have Been There?

dmyers

AH veteran
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Namibia, Canada,
For those that have hunted in all of Mozambique, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe, which one is your favorite? Let's assume the hunting quality is the same. Which one was most culturally interesting, best geography, nicest people, generally interesting, felt safest, etc? If you were going back, if hunting was equal, which one,

Great question and since I've hunted in Namibia and South Africa I'm really interested in answers to this as I will be looking to other countries in '22 and beyond for hunts.

Great question and since I've hunted in Namibia and South Africa I'm really interested in answers to this as I will be looking to other countries in '22 and beyond for hunts.
Yes, I have also hunted S, Africa and Namibia but am looking at hunting Buffalo + and want to try something new. I would like to narrow down my search to a country, then look for outfitters.

Hmm? haven't hunted Tanzania- too expensive, but would love to have hunted Hemmingway's "Green Hills"!! The others you listed, IMO, are all comparable in a general sense. Never had any trouble with any of the people really anywhere. Never felt unsafe anywhere- but I would avoid bar hopping Johannesburg! :)

Even under Mugabe, as an outsider, I didn't find Zimbabwe much different from most other Southern Africa countries. The locals in rural Mozambique were fine and pretty friendly once they knew my intentions. The same for Zambia- very friendly and fun to be around for the most part. Each country and region seems to have its unique character.

The San in Botswana have got to be some of the most culturally and ethnically unique in all of Southern Africa. In some ways they remind me of the Acoma Indians of the southwest US and maybe some of the Yupik Indians of AK- two groups I've spent a lot of time around. I would not discount Botswana as a destination!

While driving around Zimbabwe, I was somewhat saddened by all the beautiful farm and ranch architecture crumbling into the ground- a Mugabe deal I believe. Parts of Zimbabwe are beautiful! The old growth, riverine forests in Zambia are neat for lack of a better description. Same for Mozambique. Parts of Mozambique are really very rural and the variety of landscapes is striking. I had a couple of very heartening, local contact experiences in Mozambique and will forever hold them dear. I do pretty well with Spanish so thought I could muddle through Portuguese... not! :) As an aside, I know there is a strong connection between the peoples of Malawi and Mozambique with many families fleeing into Malawi during the extended Mozambique civil war. Still some big I unrest fomenting in a few parts of Mozambique- but your outfitter/PH would be best source of info and perspective on that. If a reputable outfitter told me no issue in his area of Mozambique, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

No matter where you go- some unique experiences are always waiting.

I will try to be balanced and objective:
All of these countries have their appeal and the people are all pretty friendly, so I would score that even.
Culturally, Zimbabwe has the Great Zimbabwe era as well as the Naletale ruins with the famous chevron pattern walls. Lots of ancient gold mining. Lots of colonial history. Tanzania has the Arabic East Africa vibe in Dar and of course on Zanzibar, which is nice. Zambia is pretty benign culturally, so is Mozambique. I think Zimbabwe just takes the edge there.
Infrastructure Zimbabwe still has the edge, just, it is crumbling fast, but still usable.
Safety is interesting. Mozambique has the Islamist insurgency and you just never know. I don't trust their military can control it, so that is a very big negative for Moz. Tanzania has a smattering of the same, less of a concern but still a concern. Zim is peaceful, but we have a wild card in the police, I wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of them. Zambia is peaceful and their police seem more user friendly, so I think Zambia wins on safety.
There is one other area you havent mentioned and that is health. I have no personal health experience in Tanzania, Moz and Zambia, but Zimbabwe has good private hospitals, several ambulance services, air rescue and is closest to Johannesburg. Zim wins this one.
On balance Zim wins overall with Zambia a close second.

Hmm? haven't hunted Tanzania- too expensive, but would love to have hunted Hemmingway's "Green Hills"!! The others you listed, IMO, are all comparable in a general sense. Never had any trouble with any of the people really anywhere. Never felt unsafe anywhere- but I would avoid bar hopping Johannesburg! :)

Even under Mugabe, as an outsider, I didn't find Zimbabwe much different from most other Southern Africa countries. The locals in rural Mozambique were fine and pretty friendly once they knew my intentions. The same for Zambia- very friendly and fun to be around for the most part. Each country and region seems to have its unique character.

The San in Botswana have got to be some of the most culturally and ethnically unique in all of Southern Africa. In some ways they remind me of the Acoma Indians of the southwest US and maybe some of the Yupik Indians of AK- two groups I've spent a lot of time around. I would not discount Botswana as a destination!

While driving around Zimbabwe, I was somewhat saddened by all the beautiful farm and ranch architecture crumbling into the ground- a Mugabe deal I believe. Parts of Zimbabwe are beautiful! The old growth, riverine forests in Zambia are neat for lack of a better description. Same for Mozambique. Parts of Mozambique are really very rural and the variety of landscapes is striking. I had a couple of very heartening, local contact experiences in Mozambique and will forever hold them dear. I do pretty well with Spanish so thought I could muddle through Portuguese... not! :) As an aside, I know there is a strong connection between the peoples of Malawi and Mozambique with many families fleeing into Malawi during the extended Mozambique civil war. Still some big I unrest fomenting in a few parts of Mozambique- but your outfitter/PH would be best source of info and perspective on that. If a reputable outfitter told me no issue in his area of Mozambique, I wouldn't hesitate for a second.

No matter where you go- some unique experiences are always waiting.
Excellent response, thank you.

I will try to be balanced and objective:
All of these countries have their appeal and the people are all pretty friendly, so I would score that even.
Culturally, Zimbabwe has the Great Zimbabwe era as well as the Naletale ruins with the famous chevron pattern walls. Lots of ancient gold mining. Lots of colonial history. Tanzania has the Arabic East Africa vibe in Dar and of course on Zanzibar, which is nice. Zambia is pretty benign culturally, so is Mozambique. I think Zimbabwe just takes the edge there.
Infrastructure Zimbabwe still has the edge, just, it is crumbling fast, but still usable.
Safety is interesting. Mozambique has the Islamist insurgency and you just never know. I don't trust their military can control it, so that is a very big negative for Moz. Tanzania has a smattering of the same, less of a concern but still a concern. Zim is peaceful, but we have a wild card in the police, I wouldnt want to get on the wrong side of them. Zambia is peaceful and their police seem more user friendly, so I think Zambia wins on safety.
There is one other area you havent mentioned and that is health. I have no personal health experience in Tanzania, Moz and Zambia, but Zimbabwe has good private hospitals, several ambulance services, air rescue and is closest to Johannesburg. Zim wins this one.
On balance Zim wins overall with Zambia a close second.
Thank you!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boob415

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.