First Double Rifle On It's Way

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
So I finally purchased my first double rifle last week. I was also seriously considering a Rigby "Big Game" single square bridge in 450 Rigby but in the end decided if I was going to have a big bore rifle for use with iron sights it would be a double.

I looked at a few different brands, Merkel, Krieghoff, Heym and VC, in the end I went with a near new Merkel 140AE in 470NE, the deal was just too good to say no to. I don't know a whole lot about doubles but from nearly all of the info I have read it seems as though the Merkel doubles have an outstanding reputation.

The plan is to use the rifle with iron sights but it's been a long time since I have done any shooting with irons so I may eventually go with a red dot, I will see how I go with the irons first.

I have also spent quite a bit of time researching load data for the 470NE, yesterday I managed to get my hands on a 5lb jug of Alliant RL19! Yep I bet a few of you Americans are a bit jealous to hear that. So at this stage the load plan is Bertram brass, Federal 215M gold medal primers, Woodleigh 500 grain RNSN projectiles and a starting powder charge of 107 grains of RL19 as per the Woodleigh manual. I may try RL15 & RL17 at some point but decided RL19 would probably be easier to use so I don't need to use a filler.

I should have enough time for load development, some range time and a couple of months with it in the field before my next Buffalo hunt in August so hopefully later this year I will be hunting buffalo with my first double.

As soon as it's in my hands I will be sure to post some pics.

then the pandemic hit so hopefully next year on africa. supplies are so hard and expensive i hunt for bargain ammo have several boxes of federal woodleighs with two empties lol.

If it's anything like the one I had and sold to @CAustin, you'll love it. That rifle is perfectly regulated and was built very well.
Well the dealer I bought it from personally checked the regulation himself and says it shoots very well. Can't wait to get my hands on it and test it myself.

So I finally purchased my first double rifle last week. I was also seriously considering a Rigby "Big Game" single square bridge in 450 Rigby but in the end decided if I was going to have a big bore rifle for use with iron sights it would be a double.

I looked at a few different brands, Merkel, Krieghoff, Heym and VC, in the end I went with a near new Merkel 140AE in 470NE, the deal was just too good to say no to. I don't know a whole lot about doubles but from nearly all of the info I have read it seems as though the Merkel doubles have an outstanding reputation.

The plan is to use the rifle with iron sights but it's been a long time since I have done any shooting with irons so I may eventually go with a red dot, I will see how I go with the irons first.

I have also spent quite a bit of time researching load data for the 470NE, yesterday I managed to get my hands on a 5lb jug of Alliant RL19! Yep I bet a few of you Americans are a bit jealous to hear that. So at this stage the load plan is Bertram brass, Federal 215M gold medal primers, Woodleigh 500 grain RNSN projectiles and a starting powder charge of 107 grains of RL19 as per the Woodleigh manual. I may try RL15 & RL17 at some point but decided RL19 would probably be easier to use so I don't need to use a filler.

I should have enough time for load development, some range time and a couple of months with it in the field before my next Buffalo hunt in August so hopefully later this year I will be hunting buffalo with my first double.

As soon as it's in my hands I will be sure to post some pics.
@Aussie hunter
Congrats on your new toy mate. A bloke I used to hunt with had a Merkel 500 nitro express that he used on pigs occasionally on pigs for practice before he went buff hunting. Very Nice and rifle but a bit of overkill on 50 to 90 kilo pigs.
Did he was have fun. HELL YES.
Bob

If it's anything like the one I had and sold to @CAustin, you'll love it. That rifle is perfectly regulated and was built very well.
Indeed the Merkel you sold me is regulated very well and with the hand loads @Shootist43 worked up for me the rifle is dead on. We spent some time Saturday last crimping some 470s we had previously loaded. The Merkels at one point were regulated with Federal, mine was, but they seem to do well with Hornady Ammunition also.

Congratulations!

I too just ordered my first double, the same as yours! It is in the mail I hope and should receive it this week.

Now with some help from @Longwalker I hope to figure out a set up for a reflex red dot type sight.

I can't wait to post some pics. I am sure you are as excited as I am! I have heard nothing but great things about the 470 as well.

I haven't yet, I have never used one before , I read on here about trijicon, docter, Leupold Leica and others but truthfully have no idea. I guess it will depend a bit on what is available for a.mount..

Been so excited I think it's annoying my wife, and haven't even received the rifle yet!

I haven't yet, I have never used one before , I read on here about trijicon, docter, Leupold Leica and others but truthfully have no idea. I guess it will depend a bit on what is available for a.mount..

Been so excited I think it's annoying my wife, and haven't even received the rifle yet!
They all work, but with a beautiful double you need to pay respect to the aesthetics. Ive looked at quite a few and saw a Docter mounted on a Heym, it went straight onto the rib and was very neat and low. Then others are a bit space age looking like the Trijicon with it's pagoda roof and look out of place on the classic double. Others are quite bulky and mount high, again looks wrong. I am leaning towards either the Docter or Kahles, the latter has nice organic lines.

I have two Noblex/Docter sights - Sight C on a pump shottie and Sight III on a pistol as well as a 2MOA Leica Tempus which I bought for the shottie but decided to go with a bigger dot and mounted it on DR instead. The Docter sights are smaller and the dot is projected a little lower as well which is good, but the view through the Leica is much better and the window is much larger. Also there’s far less picture distortion at longer distances with the Leica. It’s seems to me that the Docter/Noblex sights were designed with pistol shooting in mind and are optimised for shorter distances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois