Final packing list

A few decent quality 1 gallon and quart size ziplock baggies are handy to have along. For the roll of TP you "borrow" from the lodge to take in the field, kleenex, wipes , etc. Your list looks pretty thorough and well thought out to me. Some of the stuff you bring is appreciated by outfitters if you leave at the end of the trip, if you don't have an attachment to it. Our tracker gave me a big handful of porcupine quills, and a gallon ziplock bag was good to temporarily place them in.

For the plane wear one set of hunting clothes (not necessarily camo) and comfy hiking boots. Second pair of hiking boots in checked baggage. Second pair of hunting pants and shirt in carryon with underwear and socks. Forget about inreach. Something to get lost or stolen. Unnecessary. I would discard puffy jacket for good fleece jacket. Add a fleece vest in carryon. You won't need the headlamp or flashlight. Outfitter will have that covered. They rarely if ever let clients walk around in the dark, mostly because of treacherous ground (when you see a porcupine or aardvark hole suddenly appear underfoot in broad daylight, you'll understand what I mean). Forget the water bottle. Lodge owner will have that covered. Unnecessary baggage. Same with first aid kit. You will not need mechanics gloves because they will not let you do anything (liability concerns). Forget the shorts. It's winter there. Personally, I hate T-shirts and they don't look very cool in trophy photos. I wouldn't bother with rangefinder. Let the PH handle that. Travel light in the bush. Doxycycline is the antibiotic you'll want for potential tick bite fever. Add bug dope to your list. I would prefer buckskin gloves to fleece. Staff will love to have them for tip when you leave.
Headlamp was specifically on the outfitters packing list. I think I’ll take his advice in that one. Especially since my petzl headlamp weighs a whole 1 oz and takes up about as much space as a pack of gum. Also the mechanics gloves are what I wear here in AZ hunting in the thorns and grass and rock rather than leather (I wear leather at work and unless something is on literally on fire I prefer mechanics gloves over leather). Water bottle is for the airport. I always travel with a Nalgene clipped to the outside of my backpack to avoid having to buy bottles of water in the airport. I fly for work a fair bit so this is what works for me. In the plane I’m wearing one set of hunting pants and I hunt in my Salawa approach shoes in the mountains here so I figured they’ll work there too.

Also in SE AZ, depending on what part of South Africa you are hunting the weather and terrain will change. Do you know the province you will be hunting in?

Headlamp was specifically on the outfitters packing list. I think I’ll take his advice in that one. Especially since my petzl headlamp weighs a whole 1 oz and takes up about as much space as a pack of gum. Also the mechanics gloves are what I wear here in AZ hunting in the thorns and grass and rock rather than leather (I wear leather at work and unless something is on literally on fire I prefer mechanics gloves over leather). Water bottle is for the airport. I always travel with a Nalgene clipped to the outside of my backpack to avoid having to buy bottles of water in the airport. I fly for work a fair bit so this is what works for me. In the plane I’m wearing one set of hunting pants and I hunt in my Salawa approach shoes in the mountains here so I figured they’ll work there too.
Curious why the outfitter would put headlamp on the packing list. I suppose for those into night hunting (cats, bushpigs, hyena) it would be important. But that stuff is never on my menu. I enjoy seeing the country and stalking. Watching a bait pile in the pitch black ain't for me.

Airline attendants shove bottles of water at me at least three times on the long flights. If I feel the need, I can stow one of those in my daypack. But presumably it won't get through security again when I need to board the next flight (I have to get rid of pop bottles). Doesn't your personal water bottle have to be empty for security?

I abhore wearing gloves while hunting. I simply cannot shoot with anything on my finger. Not as much a problem bird hunting subzero where the trigger is typically jerked at moving targets (I still prefer bare hand if possible) but for rifle hunting I can't feel well enough with glove on to squeeze the trigger effectively. For subzero rifle hunting I have glomitts. In the Limpopo you may encounter blackthorn which is mean stuff but I never felt the need for gloves hunting Eastern Cape. I can usually negotiate acacia well enough bare handed. I may wear buckskin in the morning if it's chilly. Usually not necessary. I can open the front of my jacket and slip a hand inside as needed. But that's just me.

Heavy dew in the mornings is typical where I hunt Africa. Keep that in mind for your footwear.

Curious why the outfitter would put headlamp on the packing list. I suppose for those into night hunting (cats, bushpigs, hyena) it would be important. But that stuff is never on my menu. I enjoy seeing the country and stalking. Watching a bait pile in the pitch black ain't for me.

Airline attendants shove bottles of water at me at least three times on the long flights. If I feel the need, I can stow one of those in my daypack. But presumably it won't get through security again when I need to board the next flight (I have to get rid of pop bottles). Doesn't your personal water bottle have to be empty for security?

I abhore wearing gloves while hunting. I simply cannot shoot with anything on my finger. Not as much a problem bird hunting subzero where the trigger is typically jerked at moving targets (I still prefer bare hand if possible) but for rifle hunting I can't feel well enough with glove on to squeeze the trigger effectively. For subzero rifle hunting I have glomitts. In the Limpopo you may encounter blackthorn which is mean stuff but I never felt the need for gloves hunting Eastern Cape. I can usually negotiate acacia well enough bare handed. I may wear buckskin in the morning if it's chilly. Usually not necessary. I can open the front of my jacket and slip a hand inside as needed. But that's just me.

Heavy dew in the mornings is typical where I hunt Africa. Keep that in mind for your footwear.
You never miss an opportunity to share your likes, dislikes, opinions and just nonsense.

But that's just me....

Headlamps certainly are helpful when you're searching for a wounded animal as the sun sets. And carrying your rifle with both hands.

Headlamps certainly are helpful when you're searching for a wounded animal as the sun sets. And carrying your rifle with both hands.
I suppose it depends on the outfitter but the three PHs I've hunted with say the policy is not to pursue wounded game after dark. And, as I said, that makes sense since I've nearly stepped into porcupine, Badger, warthog holes numerous times in daylight.

@Elkeater your list looks pretty good.

The only recommendations I can give:

If you are comfortable wearing boots all day that's fine. But I prefer a pair of comfortable tennis shoes around the lodge and out sightseeing.

SAFETY TIP:
Don't Carry All of Your Money In One Pocket. I highly recommend you and each family member carry a very small amount of money in an easily accessible pocket to pay for snacks, meals, knickknacks, etc.. Then when convenient in an indiscretionary location replenish those funds. Never Show or Flash a Wad of cash.

I would also add a couple of long sleeve mid weight hunting shirts for cool and cold mornings and evenings, as your vest and jacket may not be enough warmth.

+1 on carry wet wipes in all the carry-ons; no worries about having a damp wash cloth and towel to deal with. A wet wipe or two to wipe your face and hands in flight, at the airport and in the field can be a great pick me up.

+1 on getting Global Rescue or alike. It may seem unnecessary until something unforeseen happens and medical assistance is needed.

Having lived in Tucson, think of Africa as going from the desert to the mountains back to the desert in July, November, and December all in one day....for 1 day, or through your entire trip.

A small sewing kit is both nice to have handy for sewing up any holes, rips, tears, buttons, etc. you may get in your clothes.....and if not needed a good gift to your: maid, laundress, cook, or tracker.....or bring along several of those cheap Walmart sewing kits to hand out to each one.

Happy Hunting.

Everyone should bring a torch/flashlight or headlamp.....don't understand why someone would tell you not to.....we tell people to bring as they will use it plenty....

About the cash, I carry mine in a money belt that is so comfortable I frequently forget I'm wearing it when going through screening (x-ray will show it). AAA sells good ones in their stores.

SPF lip balm is a must for me. You have an excellent list and I am excited for you and your family. I hope y'all have an amazing safari!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BuddyBrode

Latest profile posts

Redfishga1 wrote on gearguywb's profile.
I would be interested in the ruger if the other guy is not.
Bartbux wrote on franzfmdavis's profile.
Btw…this was Kuche….had a great time.
Sorry to see your troubles on pricing.

Happy to call you and talk about experience…I’m also a Minnesota guy.
Ready for the next hunt