Etihad and firearms

Thank you for all the replies!!!!

I ended up booking with Lufthansa, I think I got a pretty good deal on Premium Economy.
Far less than Delta economy and a third the cost of the lowest Business.

I was 100% on taking my gun, now I am wavering.
Is it worth it?
If I don't take my own rifle the camp gun rental plus ammo for my 12 day hunt is right at $300.00 total.

I haven't checked yet, but is it really about a $500.00 gun handling fee to transfer through FRA?
And if so, is that each way, so another $500.00 for the return home?

I have contacted Hunter Support for assistance, but was really reaching out here to get opinions of whether it is worth pursuing. If it really adds 500 to 1000 to the trip to gets guns through FRA, then it isn't worth it, end of story. That is just stupid expensive.

If that fee is not that high through Frankfurt, and I am already planning on the meet and greet through either Afton House or Hunters Support, then it isn't that much of a stretch to have them help me with the firearm, and my costs will be about the same.

Thanks in advance!!!

I’m uncertain of the feasibility of bringing guns with you at any price with the route and carrier you’ve selected. I wouldn’t do it if I was paid $2500 for the aggravation.

You’d likely need a gun permit travel agent. You’d have to know if your African countries being visited are on prohibition lists with your carriers and intermediary airports. You’d need to look into intermediary permits and be guided as to whether you must claim and recheck your guns in route.

I proposed the cheapest and easiest way to do this via ORD with Emirates, effectively avoiding the need for multiple carriers or the services of a gun travel agent.

Your selection is one of the hardest scenarios possible and requires all the services and advice you can buy and likely necessitates booking with a gun travel agent to get all tickets on one record locator to compel them to let guns fly.

At this point, rent a gun. Your costs you’ll incur in your desire to save money are now going to cost you a fortune and add a lot of risk.

Questions to ask:

Is Germany forwarding weapons for safari or any other use to the African destinations?

Is Lufthansa allowing guns for African Safari in their planes? How about with connections?

Is Lufthansa requiring you to collect and recheck weapons in FRA?

Do you plan on a SAPS permit in advance? Does Lufthansa require one?

Do you have a 4457 valid for the guns now? How recent must they be for RSA and FRA at present? And for Lufthansa?

What are the rifle fees, the extra bag fee, and the overweight fee for the guns.? (May be 3 fees, each way) What is the fee for your bag of ammo that must fly separate from all other articles?

Do you have a regional connection after Jo’burg in Africa? Will they allow guns? Will they allow guns if flights were purchased by you separately instead of via a single ticket?

Who will represent you to get rifle pre-approvals to fly with connections invoking “must fly” requests to baggage in route?

After all of this, you still probably want a meet and greet with expedite at Jo’burg which is a separate charge.

Things to consider if trying to make an attempt now that you’ve fired, ready, aimed in that order.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Donnie58Q

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!