Elephant Bone Carving

Huntforever

AH fanatic
Joined
Jul 13, 2022
Messages
746
Reaction score
1,826
Media
41
Hunting reports
Africa
3
Mex/S.Amer
2
I was wondering want bones they generally use for elephant bone carvings?
 
What I have seen, was tusks.

The tusk does not need to be full in length to be carved, sometimes it is a piece of tusks, carved to some shape, woman's head or similar

Photo from internet.

1788838350157.png
 
Had giraffe shinbone carving made in Namibia.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 50
All I have ever seen used are tusks. I have some around here somewhere if I could figure out how to post pictures!
 
Femur, the longer, solid, single bone in the back leg on each leg.

1788926052293.png


1788926064689.png


Second photo is a mammoth, but highlights the bone.


I would also add that they will likely carve many of the bones if you requested it.
 
A buddy of mine has two carved elephant tusk that his dad bought back in the late 70’s or early 80’s when traveling through Africa.
 
For whimsical carvings I would use the humerus.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,422
Messages
1,575,691
Members
170,375
Latest member
Audra61176
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top