Eland Mount Ideas

csmcclain

AH veteran
Joined
Feb 16, 2024
Messages
232
Reaction score
545
Media
7
Hunting reports
Africa
1
Hunted
South Africa & United States (Colorado, Florida, Mississippi, Texas, & Wyoming)
Shot a nice eland, and I need ideas on a shoulder mount that isn’t too terrible tall. Otherwise, I guess we’re doing a skull mount. Would love any ideas.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4978.jpeg
    IMG_4978.jpeg
    9.1 MB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1742.jpeg
    IMG_1742.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 82
I can’t help you with mounting ideas, but I do know a big mop of hair when I see it, very nice eland!!
 
There's no getting around how big they are. In the veld they're huge. In your living room, they just take up a ton of space. A short-neck no-shoulder mount might help, but that sort of thing is out of style for a good reason. They don't look very good and they don't represent the animal well. The big dewlap is part of the trophy. Faced with that prospect, I'd just do a nice euro mount.
 
I think the closest you would find for a full shoulder mount is a mount where the head is a bit tucked. Which will put the horns in the same space (vertically) that the shoulders would take up anyway. It also makes it stick out just a little less into the room. Vs. A shoulder mount where the head is up and neck stuck out.

I have seen these mounts at outfitters. But I don't believe I have a photo of one.

All that said, they are quite large mounts regardless.
 
I absolutely HATE straight shoulder mounts (and that's coming from a taxidermist with 90+ mounts in his house) except for an eland. They do make nice straights, and a straight semi-sneak won't take up much vertical space, although they do project out into a room.

Personally, I went with a euro due to space (see 90+ mounts above) :LOL:
 
I absolutely HATE straight shoulder mounts (and that's coming from a taxidermist with 90+ mounts in his house) except for an eland. They do make nice straights, and a straight semi-sneak won't take up much vertical space, although they do project out into a room.

Personally, I went with a euro due to space (see 90+ mounts above) :LOL:
1790344959742.jpeg

Something like this?
 
I absolutely HATE straight shoulder mounts (and that's coming from a taxidermist with 90+ mounts in his house) except for an eland. They do make nice straights, and a straight semi-sneak won't take up much vertical space, although they do project out into a room.

Personally, I went with a euro due to space (see 90+ mounts above) :LOL:
What! I have always preferred straights.

Maybe some sneak slight looks good, especially on whitetails/ deer species.

But I don’t like pedestals where the body is cut off on sharp angles. Looks weird and un natural to me. Like this gem’s.
IMG_6498.jpeg
 
With an eland, horn clearance is never an issue. If space allows I like an upright to semi upright position. You can see the full neck swell better in these positions.
 
What! I have always preferred straights.
There’s a joke in there somewhere.

I’d wager if you polled taxidermist, 95% would tell you they hate straight poses.
 
I agree. I hate straight mounts. Except eland looks good for a straight shoulder mount.
 
I don’t like straight mounts either, if I was going to mount an eland he would be mounted with a slight turn.
With that being said I don’t have room for another large mount on the wall so if I did mount one it would be a pedestal mount.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,327
Messages
1,573,011
Members
169,682
Latest member
CarmonWxt
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top