Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hunted
RSA, USA (MN, SD, ND, TX)
Hey everyone,
I have been interested in hunting Hawaii for axis deer, goats, and pigs. I was just wondering if anyone here has done a DIY hunt in Hawaii and has some insight that could help me out. Just starting my research so any tips are helpful.
Thanks,
Reed

I have hunted the Big Island twice. Once for trophy ram and once for hogs and a meat sheep.

I believe you are going to have trouble finding critters on land with public access. You might pull it off if you know a local to help, but I don’t think I would try public land DIY.

I have hunted the NaPali coast for goats (a few pigs in there). It’s an archery area open year round. The goats are pretty far in the Kalalau trail. Need to pack in camp etc

Lana'i is the place to be. Hunt the Company Land. Axis deer will be rutting in June.
I heard that Lana’i axis hunting is a crazy experience just because of the population of deer. Is that true?

Just got tickets for Kauai a year from now. Recommendations welcomed.
Loved Mauai a few years ago and saw some critters though I didn’t hunt.
Great place for ditch tigers.

Many moons ago I went on a pig hunt on the big island, I can't even imagine trying to hunt it without a guide that knows the area. But then my hunt was a see the opportunity in the morning and go hunting that afternoon. But still it would be rough trying to figure out the logistics.

Have done two islands DIY. Have also hunted Niihau but obviously that is guided only, and they fly you in on a helicopter.

DIY is tough logistically. Really tough.

I have hunted the NaPali coast for goats (a few pigs in there). It’s an archery area open year round. The goats are pretty far in the Kalalau trail. Need to pack in camp etc

That's some hard work. You have my respect.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CorrineTrp

Latest profile posts

sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.
Vonfergus wrote on JamesJ's profile.
I am interested in the Double
Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob