Did I do well?

Normally 300 pp a day so you are 5200 ahead not paying day fees.

I agree. And if he opts to hunt the animals on the list that are fairly priced, he ends up overall ahead. If he shoots a kudu and an eland, his "deal" dissolved before his eyes.

Ten days in Africa with an Nyala...for 800 bucks? There is the bargain right there, no matter how you look...Even if you only pick a few of the lower cost critters....Impala, warthog or Zebra...In my opinion you would be still way ahead on the cost.

Here's a price sheet for one of the site's sponsors, Khomas Safaris. It's a good reference that can help you compare "normal"versus "auction hunt" price sheets. You'll note quickly that there are discrepancies in your pricesheet you can leverage to maximize the value of what you "won".

Depending on the date for your hunt I'd also start looking at airfares and flights.

Personally I would fly out of Atlanta on Delta. Last June I flew Qatar and while it wasn't bad 30 hours in cattle class was enough. Delta will get you there in around 15 hours out of Atlanta.

I highly recommend Jennifer at Travel Express for a agent. Even if you are comfortable booking your own flights, this is a international flight and things happen.

Is that price list off of his website? Or something he sent you? So you can compare the 2 to kind of get a feel of what his thinking is. Websites not having a price list is a pet peeve off mine. I can eliminate out fits that are too expensive and be skeptical if they are way to low.

Is that price list off of his website? Or something he sent you? So you can compare the 2 to kind of get a feel of what his thinking is. Websites not having a price list is a pet peeve off mine. I can eliminate out fits that are too expensive and be skeptical if they are way to low.
The list was sent to me. It was not readily available off the website.

I'll make a suggestion. Hunt a couple of the more fairly priced animals with him. Then book another 5 days elsewhere that has better/more normal pricing. That will allow you to take some additional animals at a fair price. Good luck with your hunt.
Bruce

Honestly, I think you’d be money ahead to cut your losses and book with one of the reputable outfits on here. IMO their approach is somewhat underhanded and raises a lot of red flags for me.

Honestly, I think you’d be money ahead to cut your losses and book with one of the reputable outfits on here. IMO their approach is somewhat underhanded and raises a lot of red flags for me.
I appreciate the feedback. From what I have read from others here they seem like they host a great trip, but the expensive pricing for additional animals is a cause for concern.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I’m just unlucky but I never made out on any “bargain”. In ever aspect of life - you get what you pay for.

My thoughts exactly. Maybe I’m just unlucky but I never made out on any “bargain”. In ever aspect of life - you get what you pay for.
Aside from the high pricing, any red flags you see I should look into?

None that I can see, where is the hunt? I for one have had a good auction hunt I know some on this site haven’t.

Aside from the high pricing, any red flags you see I should look into?
Some of those prices are quite high - but as other have mentioned they are most likely trying to recoup the “give aways”. A couple things I would inquire about is location and size of the properties. Are these self sustaining herds or “stocked ponds”.

Eight trips here, including cull hunts. I would cut my losses at $800 and look for a more affordable package with one of the outfitter/sponsors on this website. I've hunted twice with Nick Bowker and he's very reasonably priced. The HUGE gotcha on the auction hunts has always been high priced "others" and YES, you WILL be pressured in to taking more animals and in RSA, it's easy to shoot two or three animals a day. As far as red flags, the primary one is it's an auction hunt.

I’m with @Hogpatrol on this one - you will hunt more than you initially think. I’d pick an outfitter with large properties and self sustaining herds. My first safari is exactly the scenario you are in now - I don’t regret going to Africa at all, been twice now and my third trip planned for next year. I do regret buying that safari at auction - not impressed with the outfitter, small properties and immense pressure to shoot all kinds of stuff - plus hidden fees….Really made a poor first experience when compared to my second trip.

For perspective, you could hunt with my friends in Zim at a wilderness lodge for 10-14-18 days hunting the majority of that price sheet and be out perhaps $12,000 a guy. (roughly)

If you don't want to create a strategy to not get burned by the current deal by selecting specific animals that are somewhat well priced, you could just say "the heck with potentially high fences or mediocre trophies" and hunt in a wild country too.

(Please note, I'm not disparaging RSA as there are several operators with expansive wild reproducing game on 50,000 hectare concessions, but a first-timer may struggle to separate the wheat from the chaff)

I agree with others who have said if you are willing to take just 1 or 2 extra animals, you are ahead of the game. Having hunted Africa as many times as I have, being able to shoot just 2 or 3 plains game animals over 8-9 days, can get boring. I honestly feel if you all go over and take just 1 or 2 extra animals, you may get pressure from the outfitter to take more and not waste his time. That would be unfortunate, but it can easily happen. Perhaps you could try to sort out 3 or 4 animals each, send that to the outfitter and see if he could put a package together for you. Personally, over my lifetime, I have purchased 2 cheap safaris at the local SCI auction and I never took the hunt, but felt the donation was ok to do. I wish you the very best in your endeavor.

jhendricks, IMHO Rookhawk sent you some very sage advice. What if you take your Nyala the first morning of the hunt? Unless you follow his advice and take the "fair" price animals he suggested, you will either be paying a lot more than you should, or you will be an UNHAPPY CAMPER TO SAY THE LEAST. Hunting Africa is too much fun to have your first safari be a disaster and I'm afraid that is what you are heading for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg