Dalton and York Buffalo

I shot a bunch of guinea and geese with a 22 mag over there. But even the trackers said the guineas were almost too tough to eat. Lol!
Jacques Lemaux and I subsisted on Guinea fowl on my 2016 bongo safari. The cook made an excellent Guinea fowl vegetable soup from them that was the best soup I’ve ever tasted. We had it almost every night. The camp was out of fresh meat and we subsisted on what I shot, whether it was Guinea, bushpig, blue duiker or bongo. I never tried the Guinea fowl on its own but in soup, it was excellent.

If you want a 40"+, then that is what you should focus on, no issue in my book. I walked my ass off in the Omay for my buff, well over 100 miles before I got my shot. Just know you will likely see herds everyday, but a clean shot on an old solid boss bull could take days to get.

Dalton & York run a fine outfit, you are going to have a great time.

I agree, everyone has their own white whale. Mine was shooting it with a double, and I was willing to chance not getting a buff in order to do that. 100% worth it for me, so I can see where if it's 40" or bust for a guy on his first hunt, then I say go for that. Everyone has their own idea of trophies when it comes to buffalo, or Africa in general really. For me the trophy was the "romance" of doing a "wild Africa" safari. I got exactly what I wanted out of it and I wouldn't change a thing, so if there is a particular aspect that is truly important to you then you should certainly do all you can to accomplish that, whatever "that" may be.

Here’s the problem. When you want a 40” buff, you want a 40” buff. I agree with everyone else that the hunt is about the experience, and shooting an old bull is more important than size. So, here’s my experience with the same exact thing. Last summer I wanted a 40” buff and we had plans in an area with very, very good buffalo. My PH wasn’t able to renew the lease because of the crap going in in Zambia, and we ended up hunting a different area that also had good buff, but arguably not as good as our plan A area. On day two I had my crosshairs on a beautiful 43-44” bull with everything you’d ever want, except fully hard bosses. It was a frontal shot at 110 yards, on the edge of 8ft high tall grass. I had never hunted buffalo, and I was really looking for that easy chip shot on my first buff because I didn’t want to go home with a trophy fee but no bull. I passed on that bull, and then we lost them for two days. On day 5 we were back into buff but nothing I wanted to shoot. On day 6, we found this hard bossed 38” bull standing perfectly sideways at 100 yards. I drove a 400gr TSX from a .416 Rigby through both lungs and he ran about 20-30 yards and laid down. I put two more into him when he tried to get up, even though they weren’t needed. I’ve heard dead buff have killed more than a few hunters….. The hunt was fantastic, but here’s the deal. I still want a 40” buff. Not only that, I also want an ugly old beat to heck daga boy. I am incredibly happy with my 38” bull, but I’m also incredibly hooked, and still want that 43-44” bull when he gets old. I took the first good representative animal that gave me the best shot, and wouldn’t change a thing. But, after the first stock, I also knew I was going back.
Go to @Tsala and you will get one

It wasn't until buffalo number 9 that I took one over 40". All of the previous hunts had been real hunts, mostly in Zimbabwe, and I thoroughly enjoyed those hunts! In the fall of 2022 I hunted with Game 4 Safaris in South Africa, Wik and I hunted through some of the thickest jest you will ever see, all of a sudden an old bull popped out, Wik says, 'he won't measure very wide, but you'll never see an older bull with harder bosses'. So I took that buffalo, and I am not ashamed to say it just made 35". On that same hunt my buddy took a 41" monster. Like I hear so often, take what the 'bush' offers and be happy!

I agree, everyone has their own white whale. Mine was shooting it with a double, and I was willing to chance not getting a buff in order to do that. 100% worth it for me, so I can see where if it's 40" or bust for a guy on his first hunt, then I say go for that. Everyone has their own idea of trophies when it comes to buffalo, or Africa in general really. For me the trophy was the "romance" of doing a "wild Africa" safari. I got exactly what I wanted out of it and I wouldn't change a thing, so if there is a particular aspect that is truly important to you then you should certainly do all you can to accomplish that, whatever "that" may be.
Your write up has been my favorite one so far on this site. You did it right.

Just go and enjoy it. The bull in the photo was spotted 5 minutes out from the Ume River camp a year ago last August on day one. Not quite 40 but not many folks would let one like it go given the opportunity. I had so much fun with York and his guys that I am going back this coming August for Buffalo and Hippo.

We have had guinea fowl soup many times in Zambia - my wife and I’s favorite, also while elephant hunting miles from camp, we shot some guineas and smoked them on a stick for lunch - it was amazing, plus we didnt have to drive back to camp

Crop them and hang them skin and feathers on in the coldroom for a few days first....

thnsno
As a follow-up to my post last night, if you want to see what the Ume camp and the area looks like, there is a highlight video of my hunt on youtube under "Rustic Hunter Productions". It also clearly shows the results of a poor first shot and the 1-1/2 days follow up before we finished the job. Good view of the jess around Lake Kariba and several elephant encounters in the thick stuff. York and head tracker Zvito saved me from paying an un-fullfilled Buffalo trophy fee. There is a pretty exciting take on a croc also that went over 14'. Bonus of Hyena at night.

thnsno
As a follow-up to my post last night, if you want to see what the Ume camp and the area looks like, there is a highlight video of my hunt on youtube under "Rustic Hunter Productions". It also clearly shows the results of a poor first shot and the 1-1/2 days follow up before we finished the job. Good view of the jess around Lake Kariba and several elephant encounters in the thick stuff. York and head tracker Zvito saved me from paying an un-fullfilled Buffalo trophy fee. There is a pretty exciting take on a croc also that went over 14'. Bonus of Hyena at night.
Yukontom there are many Rustic Hunter Productions, I can’t seem to find this specific one - please can you send us a link?

Yukontom there are many Rustic Hunter Productions, I can’t seem to find this specific one - please can you send us a link?
Kevin I can’t get to the link right now but it has a pic of croc teeth and titled Buffalo/ Croc/Bushbuck/Hyena Tom and Charlene Omay North promo

I hunted the Omay in 2009, 2010 and 2011 out of the Ume River Camp and took some very nice buffalo each year. Martin Pieters had the concession then and Dalton was an appy PH in camp with us for two of those years. You should have an excellent safari. Those bulls can be easy or hard depending on the time of year but there are certainly some fine trophies there. Two of my biggest Zim buff came from the Omay...

Looks like the bull in the video was shot in the Tiger Bay jess. A thicker piece of bush would be hard to imagine!

Last edited:
I hunted the Omay in 2009, 2010 and 2011 out of the Ume River Camp and took some very nice buffalo each year. Martin Pieters had the concession then and Dalton was an appy PH in camp with us for two of those years. You should have an excellent safari. Those bulls can be easy or hard depending on the time of year but there are certainly some fine trophies there. Two of my biggest Zim buff came from the Omay...

Looks like the bull in the video was shot in the Tiger Bay jess. A thicker piece of bush would be hard to imagine!
Yes it was somewhere between the camp and before you get to Tiger Bay. That bull ran us around in that stuff for a day and a half. He finally got sick enough to go to water at the lake and York and Zvito figured it out. When we cleared the edge of the jess into the open by the lake I looked left and right and no buffalo. My first thought was that I really did not want to go back in there, and then York saw him by the water thank God. Classic case of what may be in for you if you pull a shot a few inches the wrong way on a buffalo. I do have a great collection of 400gr Swift A Frames that were recovered in the skinning shed.

Did you learn which internal organs were perforated by your bullets and where in the organ ?

Did you learn which internal organs were perforated by your bullets and where in the organ ?
I do not think the first shot (404 Jeff) got into the body cavity. He was facing us and I pulled it right. the bullet apparently grazed along the sternum/ribs and ended up in the shoulder. The second shot as he was running fractured a rear foot. We did have a good blood trail for a long time.
The shot while he was laying down facing away stopped somewhere in one of the shoulder bones I think. The last two were in heart/lung vitals after he stood up.
I apologized to York for my poor shooting and his reaction was "Hey we got him!"
It was truly a great experience watching the team follow-up on a wounded buffalo.

Thanks for your honesty we don’t learn from assessments that state I hit him squarely through both lungs and he went two days.
Many of us are still learning and gathering information
As a handloader and avid shooter I'm a firm believer in performing post mortems in the skinning shed.
Especially after something has not gone as planned.
I guess I think in a way, that we owe some due diligence to the animals we shoot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillianPet

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.