Dakota 76 information

Deerslayer6837

Reaction score
E9630CF8-D505-47FF-955E-91DCE90D6F92.jpeg
E561CE69-B86E-4290-99CF-760C160D9E38.jpeg
75B4DD8B-AD2E-400D-AFD4-D4711039784A.jpeg
40A02735-AD57-4E72-943E-0DF4A2D64A7F.jpeg
All,

There seems to be a lot of Dakota Arms knowledge on this so I’m hoping to get some information on my rifle. This is a model 76 in 7mm-08 that I purchased a couple years ago, serial number K01**. I’m under the impression that this is a very early Dakota. I contacted Parkwest for the build sheet and was told they don’t have records that far back. Options include check piece, ebony forend tip, point skeleton grip cap and butt plate, and inletted sling swivel studs. In my opinion it has above average wood. It also has a ADL style blind magazine which I have only seen once before. Does anyone know what year the rifle may have been manufactured? Any other information is also welcome. I read about early rifles having finer lpi checking while researching on this site. Thanks

I had one of these almost just like yours it was about 20 yrs ago.It was a Dakota M76 Alpine with a blind magazine box.They made these for lighter weight and lower cost.They are wonderful rifles.

Did you talk to Ward at Dakota? I stopped in at their shop last week on my way through SD to have him look at a 416 Rigby Traveler I had purchased. He was a wealth of information and took lots of time to go over my rifle and show me the ropes. Luckily, for my rifle, built in 2011, he had complete build sheets including test targets. My guess is that if anyone would know, it would be Ward. I believe he has been there forever.
Good luck. Beautiful rifle you have.

Did you talk to Ward at Dakota? I stopped in at their shop last week on my way through SD to have him look at a 416 Rigby Traveler I had purchased. He was a wealth of information and took lots of time to go over my rifle and show me the ropes. Luckily, for my rifle, built in 2011, he had complete build sheets including test targets. My guess is that if anyone would know, it would be Ward. I believe he has been there forever.
I was able to speak with Ward today. He confirmed that this is an Alpine model and that not many were made. He said it was manufactured in 1991. Unfortunately they don’t have the build sheet for mine, he found the serial numbers directly before and after mine in the files. Very nice guy.

I have an unfired African Traveler in 458 Lott & 375 H&H with several options that I bought new many years ago. I'd like to get an evaluation on the gun to then consider selling it. In your experience, should I call Ward and is he at ParkWest Arms?

My experience is very limited. I recently purchased my Traveler, emailed Parkwest/Dakota firearms asking for some info. Ward emailed me right back and asked if I’d call him. We discussed my question and when I mentioned I’d be passing thru Sturgis in a cpl weeks on my way to Montana to mountain goat hunt, he asked if I’d stop in.
Of course I took him up on his offer and he couldn’t have been kinder. Explained how everything worked. Checked it for function and safety. Then found the original build sheets and test targets for me to look at.

If anyone could give you some guidance, I’d guess it would be Ward.
I’d also reach out to Rookhawk on here, as he seems to be in touch with the market. And I am sure there are many more veterans on AfricaHunting who can help.
Good luck. They seem to be a wonderful weapon. You should put it to work.

The Alpine model in the original post above is a rather neat rifle. The Alpine guns were inexpensive models compared to the typical Safari and African models that get most of the attention on this forum.

So to go through the good and the bad of this particular gun, I’d run through it as such:

The bad/par/average:

-It’s an Alpine model with an internal magazine
-The alpine model lacks iron sights, quarter ribs, etc.
-It has the fixed scope rings with windage adjustment screws common on the earlier Dakotas

The really good/unique/upgrades:

-It has a checkered and skeletonized butt plate that is a very expensive option
-It has lovely quilted / feathered wood
-It has an ebony forend tip
-It is in a desirable small bore caliber, 7-08
-It has the shadow line cheek piece that is also an upgrade

If it were me and I was seeking highest and best resale, I would buy Talley bases and QD rings for the rifle and I would spend the money to steam the minor dents, then lay up a bit more finish on the gun bringing it back into Excellent+ / Very Fine condition.

As to value, it is hard to tell what its worth because there aren’t many good Alpine models that have sold to give it a “comp”. I would say after cleaning up the wood and putting the aforementioned mounts and rings on, it’s worth less than $5000 and it’s worth more than $3000. An excellent investment considering the gun probably cost around $2000 when new.

I like the gun very much.

P.S. - Unrelated, Dakota Travelers in two-caliber configurations based upon 375HH and another caliber (300HH or 458 Lott as the 2nd) are an entirely different ball game. If they are Safari grades, they are valuable, if they are Africa grades with extended bottom metal, case hardened actions, or with exhibition wood they can be worth a ton of money. Replacement costs from parkwest can start at $13k to $17k, much more than that with 2nd barrels and upgrades. Those are replacement/insurance values, but typically resale values can range from $6000-$15000+ depending on various factors.

Rookhawk,

Thanks very much for the information. In your opinion was this stock blank an upgrade from standard in 1991?

The Alpine model in the original post above is a rather neat rifle. The Alpine guns were inexpensive models compared to the typical Safari and African models that get most of the attention on this forum.

So to go through the good and the bad of this particular gun, I’d run through it as such:

The bad/par/average:

-It’s an Alpine model with an internal magazine
-The alpine model lacks iron sights, quarter ribs, etc.
-It has the fixed scope rings with windage adjustment screws common on the earlier Dakotas

The really good/unique/upgrades:

-It has a checkered and skeletonized butt plate that is a very expensive option
-It has lovely quilted / feathered wood
-It has an ebony forend tip
-It is in a desirable small bore caliber, 7-08
-It has the shadow line cheek piece that is also an upgrade

If it were me and I was seeking highest and best resale, I would buy Talley bases and QD rings for the rifle and I would spend the money to steam the minor dents, then lay up a bit more finish on the gun bringing it back into Excellent+ / Very Fine condition.

As to value, it is hard to tell what its worth because there aren’t many good Alpine models that have sold to give it a “comp”. I would say after cleaning up the wood and putting the aforementioned mounts and rings on, it’s worth less than $5000 and it’s worth more than $3000. An excellent investment considering the gun probably cost around $2000 when new.

I like the gun very much.

P.S. - Unrelated, Dakota Travelers in two-caliber configurations based upon 375HH and another caliber (300HH or 458 Lott as the 2nd) are an entirely different ball game. If they are Safari grades, they are valuable, if they are Africa grades with extended bottom metal, case hardened actions, or with exhibition wood they can be worth a ton of money. Replacement costs from parkwest can start at $13k to $17k, much more than that with 2nd barrels and upgrades. Those are replacement/insurance values, but typically resale values can range from $6000-$15000+ depending on various factors.
Hello Rookhawk - Good info. I'm wondering whether you'd say what you can about another Dakota 76, SN 530, I think a Safari, leather buttpad, looks like upgrade wood, bbl mounted sling swivel mount and inletted rear sling mount, checkered bolt ball, jewelled bolt, two through-stock pins, .30-06, color case with matte black bbl, ebony forend tip, steel grip cap, quarter bridge w/ 1 standing two folding blades, front sight hood knurled on front end, I think standard Dakota checkering, and I think the stock is loaded with something for weight. You seem to have detailed knowledge of Dakotas... I'll never sell this, but am curious as to value. I'll try to post pictures, if I can get through the process.

Last edited:
Hello Rookhawk - Good info. I'm wondering whether you'd say what you can about another Dakota 76, SN 530, I think a Safari, leather buttpad, looks like upgrade wood, bbl mounted sling swivel mount and inletted rear sling mount, checkered bolt ball, jewelled bolt, two through-stock pins, .30-06, color case with matte black bbl, ebony forend tip, steel grip cap, quarter bridge w/ 1 standing two folding blades, front sight hood knurled on front end, I think standard Dakota checkering, and I think the stock is loaded with something for weight. You seem to have detailed knowledge of Dakotas... I'll never sell this, but am curious as to value. I'll try to post pictures, if I can get through the process.

I'd have to see it to judge it more specifically because there are lots of small features that add up in value. It sounds like it has a lot of things going for it that are very strong, the only shortcoming to value is a 30-06/270 will be the 2nd lowest values as far as caliber. (the worst being proprietary dakota calibers) Nothing wrong with an 06 at all, its just that someone contemplating $5000 or more on a gun has an infinite amount of high-grade choices. Not necessarily the same story if you wanted a 6.5x55, or 7x57, or 257 roberts, or a similarly in-demand small bore caliber with fewer high grade examples on the market at a given moment.

I'd have to see it to judge it more specifically because there are lots of small features that add up in value. It sounds like it has a lot of things going for it that are very strong, the only shortcoming to value is a 30-06/270 will be the 2nd lowest values as far as caliber. (the worst being proprietary dakota calibers) Nothing wrong with an 06 at all, its just that someone contemplating $5000 or more on a gun has an infinite amount of high-grade choices. Not necessarily the same story if you wanted a 6.5x55, or 7x57, or 257 roberts, or a similarly in-demand small bore caliber with fewer high grade examples on the market at a given moment.
Thanks. I'll try to post some pictures.

1707779338221.jpeg

Rookhawk - any comment on the photos ?

Rookhawk - any comment on the photos ?
Lovely rifle.

If I had to guess, private party sale, gently used condition, I'd imagine the gun is worth $7500-$9500. (including rings, excluding optic)

Awesome features:
-Above average wood
-Quarter rib
-Leather wrapped pad
-Banded and hooded front sight
-3 panel checkered bolt knob
-Jeweled bolt
-Ebony forend tip
-Ebony plugged dual crossbolts
-Color case hardened finish

Negative feature:
-Commonality of a very good all purpose caliber

I'd imagine it would run about $17,000 to have such a rifle made to order from Parkwest today, roughly.

If you're curious what would have made the gun worth more money on the resale for same money on the original purchase, two features would shoot the price up: 1. A really desirable small bore caliber, 2. A tiny Kurz length action compatible with point #1. That's about the only things that keep it from being as good as it gets in a smallbore rifle you have there.

Lovely rifle.

If I had to guess, private party sale, gently used condition, I'd imagine the gun is worth $7500-$9500. (including rings, excluding optic)

Awesome features:
-Above average wood
-Quarter rib
-Leather wrapped pad
-Banded and hooded front sight
-3 panel checkered bolt knob
-Jeweled bolt
-Ebony forend tip
-Ebony plugged dual crossbolts
-Color case hardened finish

Negative feature:
-Commonality of a very good all purpose caliber

I'd imagine it would run about $17,000 to have such a rifle made to order from Parkwest today, roughly.

If you're curious what would have made the gun worth more money on the resale for same money on the original purchase, two features would shoot the price up: 1. A really desirable small bore caliber, 2. A tiny Kurz length action compatible with point #1. That's about the only things that keep it from being as good as it gets in a smallbore rifle you have there.
Thanks very much, Rookhawk. I appreciate your taking the time to look and comment.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silas81Z69

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.