Coated lead bullets

Wyatt Smith

AH legend
Joined
May 9, 2019
Messages
3,953
Reaction score
9,126
Location
Pike county
Media
43
Has anyone used many coated lead bullets in automatic handguns, and how do you like them.
While I love lead bullets in my 357 I didn’t care for them in my automatics, I was hoping the coating will keep them cleaner. They will be used in a 1911, a Sig 226, and a Browning Hi Power. 45 ACP and 9mm.
 
Has anyone used many coated lead bullets in automatic handguns, and how do you like them.
While I love lead bullets in my 357 I didn’t care for them in my automatics, I was hoping the coating will keep them cleaner. They will be used in a 1911, a Sig 226, and a Browning Hi Power. 45 ACP and 9mm.
I've used Xtreme and HSM plated 9s and 45acp for years in 1911 Sigs, Kimbers, Colts and S&W with good luck. They shoot clean and accuracy is good for target and competition. I've not had any feeding problems, either. I buy them by the case of 250 or 500 depending on caliber.
 
I shoot thousands of Missouri Coated bullets in my 1911's Glocks (yes they do not lead) and revolvers the Missouri Bullets now come grooveless no lube and operated flawlessly... as far as leading it's noticeably less
 
I used to run Black Bullets - 200 gr SWCs in my 1911 for practice and club matches. Generally no issues. Much cleaner than cast and no (or very little) smoke. Not as clean as jacketed, but no biggie.

Pay attention to the advertised diameter and check reviews. If poor QC on the actual diameter you could see some fat- bullet jams. IIRC Ineeded .451s for reliability in a match barrel.

If molly coated are all that is available, go for it. They get you to the dance just fine, at least in 45 ACP. (9mm not so much.)
 
I've found the quality of the High Tech coated bullets from Bayou Bullets to be about the best. Unfortunately Bayou doesn't have quiet the selection as Missouri Bullets, so I use Missouri as my secondary source.

Lots of advantages to using the High Tech coated bullets and no disadvantages that I've found.

Best regards,
 
I use coated 220gr. HARD cast bullets from Underwood in my Glock 10mm. I also use uncoated 220gr. HARD cast bullets from Buffalo Bore in my same 10mm and Glock .40 (200gr.). No issues with any of it so far.
 
I use coated lead bullets for my competition .40 S&W SA pistols. Here is a pic of 10K from a day of reloading. Relatively inexpensive, requires less powder than jacketed as well to reach the right velocity.


full
 
I use coated lead bullets for my competition .40 S&W SA pistols. Here is a pic of 10K from a day of reloading. Relatively inexpensive, requires less powder than jacketed as well to reach the right velocity.


full
Nice! But where have you found all of the powder to reload those?
 
I use coated lead bullets for my competition .40 S&W SA pistols. Here is a pic of 10K from a day of reloading. Relatively inexpensive, requires less powder than jacketed as well to reach the right velocity.


full

Excellent use of what look to be Mig wire barrels?
 
Nice! But where have you found all of the powder to reload those?
I still have 50+ pounds of N320. Before the pandemic I'd buy a year's worth of components with a 6 month re-order point. Ditto for primers etc.. Though recently I traded 5K of Federal small pistol to a friend as he needed those for his revolver load.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,455
Messages
1,576,614
Members
170,609
Latest member
HaleyGreen
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top