CCI 200 and CCI 250 primers

Jota Efe

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
SAHunters ;SAGA;GOSA
Hunted
RSA and Mozambique
Can one use CCI 200 or CCI 250 primers for 3006 reloading ?

what about the 375 - only CCI 250 to be used ?

For the 375, magnum primers only. When you start getting to a certain amount of powder, magnum primers should be used, the general rule I've always seen is anything over 60 grains of powder to get it to burn correctly. The 30-06 large rifle will be fine as most loads are around 50 and lower but you might have some issues using a hotter primer like a magnum in those loads. I'd suspect if you were on the lower pressure side and then used a magnum that you'd be fine but I wouldn't do a max load with a magnum right off the bat. I would be more willing to go the other route like going down to a large rifle if a magnum is called for versus going the other direction, but that's just me.

I've seen a lot of people substitute large rifle for magnum primers in a pinch and they've worked well in certain calibers. But with that said, if I was hunting with a 375 or any rifle for that matter, I want it to go boom correctly every time so I'm using what is called for in the reloading manuals. If I was just using it for target practice only and not developing a load to hunt with, I'd be more willing to try a large rifle primer in some loads but I wouldn't try it on anything that is what I would say is a for sure case for magnum versus large rifle.

I agree with what Mike B says above, and that 60 grain rule-of-thumb makes sense to me. I've been using CCI 200 primers in 30-06 reloads for about 35 years, and they've always worked great (my highest powder charge is 58 grains). And I myself would not feel comfortable using non-magnum primers for magnum cartridge loads. I hope to see the supply of LR Magnum primers improve soon.

I have used 250s and 215s in 308, 6.5CM, 6XC without any problems. You will have to back off your charge about .5 gr give or take.

I have not tried 210/200 in a large magnum. I load my 375h&h with H4350 most of the time. If I somehow ran out of magnum primers, I would try large rifle primers. Read the cases, check the velocities and either adjust or abandon based on results.

For years I loaded my .375 with nothing but CCI 200's, never used mag primers, worked just fine. I do use them for some applications and what I have on hand has an influence on what I use and where.
I was using slow powders too, IMR 4350 and 4831, no issues.
I think too much is made of the question.

For years I loaded my .375 with nothing but CCI 200's, never used mag primers, worked just fine. I do use them for some applications and what I have on hand has an influence on what I use and where.
I was using slow powders too, IMR 4350 and 4831, no issues.
I think too much is made of the question.
That's good to know, as I'm not seeing much in the way of local supply.

At the LGS recently I scored 1000 Winchester LR primers, first seen in at least 2 years, just previous to that the same store had some Remington magnum LR primers, bought them too.

These days I buy whatever LR primers I can find, been a long drought.

I predominantly use only large rifle primers for all my reloading 30-06, 340 Weatherby, 375 H&H, and 458WM. Tested them against magnum primers and with my reload recipes there wasn't any notable differences in accuracy or chono'ed velocities.

My max tested powder grain weight for the 458WM was 70 grains, with 65 grains, pushing a 500 grain bullet being the most accurate at 100 yards.

I see magnum primers recommended for magnum cartridges and standard cartridges where slow powders are being used. I'll follow that advice but I use faster powders in some of the magnums and see no difference in results between WLR and WLRM primers. Not sure about the CCIs

I agree with using magnum primers with powder charges above about 60 grains, especially in cold weather. Magnum primers often work better with spherical powders, even in relatively small cases like the .220 Swift. WLR seem to be the "hottest" of the standard primers.

I agree with using magnum primers with powder charges above about 60 grains, especially in cold weather. Magnum primers often work better with spherical powders, even in relatively small cases like the .220 Swift. WLR seem to be the "hottest" of the standard primers.
I totally agree with ball powders, 748 absolutely needs mag primers or hangfires will result. 760 is more forgiving.

I agree with the 60gr rule of thumb; I had a frustrating experience with .257wby loading when the book called for “large rifle primer” …..

Which worked fine through load development on a nice warm fall day, however when deer season came around it was snowing and every single round hang fired.

Never again!…. If it’s 60+gr or has MAGNUM in the cartridge name I go with Magnum primers.

I tend to err on the side of caution. Above 60 grains of extruded powder or 55 grains of ball powder I use CCI250 or Federal 215. I will rather stock up in bulk on magnum primers and back down half a grain of powder in a 6,5x55, 7x57 or .308 if I run out of CCI200’s, than have a 9,3x62 or larger hang-fire.

Thank you gents for the feedback ; most appreciated your insights !

So in summary for my loads I take then the recommendations as follows :

1- 3006 - < 60 grains of S365 - use CCI 200

2- 375 - >60 grains of S335 - use CCI 250

I have used LRPs in some short magnums without any performance problems but some ball powders (H870for instance) may have issues- IDK.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NormanFaws

Latest profile posts

USN
Please a prayer request due to Michael Sipple being mauled by a Cape buffalo.

Bayly Sipple Safaris on FB for company statement.
SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.