Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
This thread is a little off the beaten path, so I have no idea if I'm posting it in the right spot. My apologies if I have not!

After the recent events in Nashville, we are reviewing security at our Church's school. Hardening the front doors is of critical concern. Does anyone have experience with Defense Life bulletproof window film?

Thanks!

Sorry, the product we are looking at is DefenseLite Bullet Resistant Window Film. Appreciate any thoughts on this or other ways to harden a glass entry.

First off I just want to say thank you!
It is something I wish every school would do! People talk about things they can do, you are your church are actually trying to be proactive!

I know nothing about the product you are asking about. If it is not on YouTube land. I would be surprised if they would not be willing to send you a sample for a discount for testing. I would want to make sure it could handle the energy of a 12ga and the speed of a 223.

I'm curious about this, have background in construction. Would like to run the feasibility between this and purposes build glass.

This thread is a little off the beaten path, so I have no idea if I'm posting it in the right spot. My apologies if I have not!

After the recent events in Nashville, we are reviewing security at our Church's school. Hardening the front doors is of critical concern. Does anyone have experience with Defense Life bulletproof window film?

Thanks!

I don’t know that brand, @WAB

What I do know is that many of them have an R-Value for insulation. We found this helpful when dealing with employees as we can tell them it’s part of ESG sustainability goals for energy efficiency. (Under my breath…while also stopping a 9mm)

For tax purposes and in some jurisdictions, credits, look into its ESG benefit. How you characterize the installation‘s primary purpose may change the financial benefit.

There is a firm based in Grayslake, IL that I can’t remember the name of that is doing some fairly groundbreaking stuff in this area.

I would want to make sure it could handle the energy of a 12ga and the speed of a 223.
I'd add in the typical handgun calibers of 357MAG (covers 9mmLUGER and below), 40S&W and 45ACP.

This is a good article to look for FACTS when it comes to mass shootings. Like mass shootings account for 0.1% of US firearm homicides, but get about 99% of the media attention. Apologies, that 99% figure may not be correct, but I'll put it out there and let the left side of the isle do a fact check and prove me wrong.

https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/gun-facts-and-fiction/mass-shootings/

@WAB - Good for you and your church for taking some personal responsibility about this subject. Funny enough, both my parents strap up every time they go to church. ;) And they know how to use them.

I'd add in the typical handgun calibers of 357MAG (covers 9mmLUGER and below), 40S&W and 45ACP.

If it can stop the a 223 and 12ga, the other will be stopped without a problem. Speed kills, I know it is not a popular belief for DG. Body armor and steel plate can be defeated more easily with high speed bullets. That's why I suggested the 223, the 12ga carries a lot of energy, that why the police/military use it to open doors. Everything else in the middle will be stopped.

Its been almost 20 years.. but when I was running a security division of the World Bank, we used a 3M mylar product that made the glass in the buildings shatter proof.. The intent was to help negate some of the blast threat of a possible IED or explosive attack (keep the glass from shattering and creating a million projectiles flying through the building)..

It was also a preventative measure for firearms attacks.. while it will not stop a bullet.. what it would do is keep the glass from coming apart and would continue to keep any would be attacker out for a prolonged period of time (they would have to shoot the glass A LOT to get it to come apart enough to be able to create a large enough hole for a human to move through.. and hopefully exhaust their ammo supply in the process...

al things considered it was a relatively inexpensive solution to our problem at the time... we covered the lower several floors of each of the 7 WB buildings in downtown DC, plus installed concrete bollards in several key places for a few million bucks..

Thank you for all of the feedback, you’ve given me some great leads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
keobongda247cc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….
Safari Dave wrote on Kevin Peacocke's profile.
I'd like to get some too.

My wife (a biologist, like me) had to have a melanoma removed from her arm last fall.
Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]