Browning B25 Pitfalls

RockSlinger404

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Dear AH Members,

There are very knowledgeable members as part of this community and I personally learn much from reading the Good Gun Deals thread.

Are there any common pitfalls to look out for in specifically buying a used B25?

Dear AH Members,

There are very knowledgeable members as part of this community and I personally learn much from reading the Good Gun Deals thread.

Are there any common pitfalls to look out for in specifically buying a used B25?
Pretty much the best over & unders that money can buy. They are the only sporting firearm which is still completely manufactured in Belgium. The only thing to watch out for, is that Browning strongly discourages the use of buckshot in their fully choked shotgun barrels.

Are you inquiring about the John Browning B25? Lead only, fixed choke, 100% made in Belgium . Next to impossible to find in the USA.

The John Browning B15 is the way to go. Made in Belgium and Japan, removable chokes and can shoot steel. Also next to impossible to find in the USA.

Are you inquiring about the John Browning B25? Lead only, fixed choke, 100% made in Belgium . Next to impossible to find in the USA.

The John Browning B15 is the way to go. Made in Belgium and Japan, removable chokes and can shoot steel. Also next to impossible to find in the USA.
That is correct, the classic B25. Either to buy locally in SA or import from UK.

I suspect you will have to import from the UK. Personally, I would go with the B15 for the above reasons.

A consecutive pair is listed on GB. $18,500!

B25 = Superposed = B25. ALL of the Superposed/B25 guns were and are, made by FN in Belgium. The Browning Superposed was offered by Browning as a standard product beginning in the mid 1930s. It was discontinued as a 'standard' product and replaced by the Citori in the 1970's (perhaps early 80s) and become a special order item from Browning/FN thereafter.

The Superposed was designed by John Browning and brought to fruition by Val Browning. It was very popular in the USA and came to be recognized as a fine firearm worldwide. There are many variations in this design, as you might expect for a firearm that has been produced for 90 years.

The Superposed/B25 was originally available only in 12 gauge, but in 1949 Browning began offering a 20 gauge model. Since then they have also been offered in 28 gauge and .410.

I am very fond of the Superposed 20 gauge guns, have owned more than a dozen, and currently have a 1937 12 gauge and a 1950s 20 gauge - both with solid ribs and 28" barrels. IMO, the guns made from the 1940s to the late 1950s are the best in terms of build quality, dynamics, and overall 'shootability'.

A good Superposed 12 can be had in the USA for about $1500 and a 20 gauge for $3000 and up in the lower grades (depending on condition, barrel length, vintage, grade, choking, etc.). Ordering a new B25 from FN is considerably more, although they are very fine guns.

B25 = Superposed = B25. ALL of the Superposed/B25 guns were and are, made by FN in Belgium. The Browning Superposed was offered by Browning as a standard product beginning in the mid 1930s. It was discontinued as a 'standard' product and replaced by the Citori in the 1970's (perhaps early 80s) and become a special order item from Browning/FN thereafter.

The Superposed was designed by John Browning and brought to fruition by Val Browning. It was very popular in the USA and came to be recognized as a fine firearm worldwide. There are many variations in this design, as you might expect for a firearm that has been produced for 90 years.

The Superposed/B25 was originally available only in 12 gauge, but in 1949 Browning began offering a 20 gauge model. Since then they have also been offered in 28 gauge and .410.

I am very fond of the Superposed 20 gauge guns, have owned more than a dozen, and currently have a 1937 12 gauge and a 1950s 20 gauge - both with solid ribs and 28" barrels. IMO, the guns made from the 1940s to the late 1950s are the best in terms of build quality, dynamics, and overall 'shootability'.

A good Superposed 12 can be had in the USA for about $1500 and a 20 gauge for $3000 and up in the lower grades (depending on condition, barrel length, vintage, grade, choking, etc.). Ordering a new B25 from FN is considerably more, although they are very fine guns.

The current B25 is very different then the Superposed.

How are they different. I have not examined a B25 for some time. Please educate me?

From the Browning B25 website...

Superposed means superior quality. The feeling one receives from owning a Superposed is no different from owning artwork of the great masters. The Superposed is a true masterpiece. The design of the Superposed reflects John Browning’s knowledge of the American hunter. He knew they preferred a single sighting plane and a single selective trigger. He delivered it all with his unique ability to achieve perfect balance, economy of proportion and eye-appealing design.
The Superposed has been made entirely in Belgium since 1931. Delaying your order will not make your Superposed more elegant, it will only deprive you of years of pleasure. In a world obsessed with mass production, it is reassuring to know that there are still artisans who ply their trade elevating objects of function to objects of art.

Differences seem to equal side plates on the action and 3 piece forend. It is a Superposed.

Need to look at the European website for John Browning.

From my experiences of bringing several B25s into a gunsmith.
The most common problem is the firing pins either cracking or cratering.
The fix, replace with a Baikal firing pin which has to have the button turned down a bit on a belt. The Baikal pins never break, recycled T34s !!
The ejector rods can crack and break. The fix, buy and fit new ones.
Occasionally the wood on the fore end can crack just in front of Breckinridge. Find a good cabinetmaker to pin and glue it.

From my experiences of bringing several B25s into a gunsmith.
The most common problem is the firing pins either cracking or cratering.
The fix, replace with a Baikal firing pin which has to have the button turned down a bit on a belt. The Baikal pins never break, recycled T34s !!
The ejector rods can crack and break. The fix, buy and fit new ones.
Occasionally the wood on the fore end can crack just in front of Breckinridge. Find a good cabinetmaker to pin and glue it.
Thank you, that is useful!

Perhaps it is just a language thing, but “superposed” is an anglicised word for “Superposé” and is just the French word for an over&under.

Nothing “super” or other attributions of quality are intended with the term “superposed”. (Nothing like the “Supersport” designation often found with sports cars). Only that there are two barrels and they are on top of each other. This to contrast with single barrel guns/rifles and side by side guns/rifles.

So saying that the “current B25 is nothing like the Superposed” does not make sense. The B25 model has always been “superposed” as in an over and under.

Superposé = over&under gun
Juxtaposé = side by side gun
Express = double rifle
Kipplauf = break open, single barrelled, single shot rifle
Mixte = two barrelled firearm, with one shotgun barrel and one rifle barrel
Drilling = three barrelled gun/rifle
Vierling = four barrreled gun/rifle
Fünfling = five barrelled gun/rifle

Last edited:
Perhaps it is just a language thing, but “superposed” is an anglicised word for “Superposé” and is just the French word for an over&under.

Nothing “super” or other attributions of quality are intended with the term “superposed”. (Nothing like the “Supersport” designation often found with sports cars). Only that there are two barrels and they are on top of each other. This to contrast with single barrel guns/rifles and side by side guns/rifles.

So saying that the “current B25 is nothing like the Superposed” does not make sense. The B25 model has always been “superposed” as in an over and under...
Thank you for your tutorial. The fact is that, upon introduction of this design in the USA in the 1930's Browning used the name 'Superposed' as the MODEL NAME for what FN sells as the B25. So what you say in your post is both true and not true.

My BROWNING SUPERPOSED was built in 1937 by FN exclusively for Browning. They are excellent guns and I have owned about a dozen at various times. I am particularly fond the the Superposed 20 gauge guns.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AishaYpd4

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross