Blaser R8 - Why do African PH’s and Alaskan Bear Guides Choose Not To Use Blaser R8’s?

R eight

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Australia, NZ, North America
Well I don't know any African PH's....but I have hunted with a few Alaskan Guides. With the exception of one they all hunted with USA manufactured rifles that wore USA manufactured glass. Price / cost and maybe a bit of patriotism probably had a bit to do with it. The exception to the rule carried a CZ 550 in 416 Rigby with iron sights. Price / cost would have helped with his decision.

As to whether an R8 would be suitable ? Well hell yes. I've been using an R8 for a few years without issue. Never had a problem with it. Accurate, reliable and robust. As to the Blaser click.... Yep, it exists....and yes it is caused by operator error. Once experienced never forgotten. I think it sort of like the first time you throw a cartridge directly into the chamber of model 98 actioned rifle and slam the bolt home and find that it doesn't work like your push feed Remington 700. Operator error and once done, rarely if ever repeated.

Do I prefer the R8 over a traditional 98 actioned rifle ? Sometimes. But then again I love them both....and push feeds too.

IMG_2484.JPG
IMG_2536.JPG
IMG_2544.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

WAB

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Namibia, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
The PH’s I am closest to carry a CZ or M70 in .458 Lott. Reasonable price, plenty of power, and bullet proof.

Reactions: IvW

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sanbostonmexluadao

Latest profile posts

trstallone wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
I've Hunted So.Africa, love to try Romania
Clifford Johnson wrote on Mark A Ouellette's profile.
Mark, How did your hunt go with Wayne in Zimbabwe?
Cliff
Spartan2473 wrote on tnshooter's profile.
Hey buddy,
Have a great hunt in West TN. Looking forward to planning this next safari with you.

we’ll talk soon!
Hello thanks for acceptance to the group, I live on baffin island. Anyone ever hunt in the Arctic?