Big bore recoil

I'm very sorry to hear this. I hope you are doing everything you can to mitigate any further issues.
Thanks. I've been at least a dozen years treatment free and doctors say I'm over the hump. My retina guy told me years ago I could resume life as before. Shooting okay? Yes. And I can resume bull riding? You should have seen the look on his face. No, I don't ride bulls and never have. I suspect boxing is also a no go. Oh well. :D And shooting anything bigger than 404J. It's also why I switched from 870 fixed breach magnum to very heavy A5 auto with 31" barrel. Sometimes on crappy weather days I shoot trap league with that old 870 and wonder how I put up with the recoil for forty-some years.

Like OH said, stock fit will help to mitigate a lot of recoil effect, if you have a decent stock maker nearby you can get them to check out how you shoulder a firearm to see what the best fit is for "you ". And remember that their time will not be free. Every person is built differently so there is no "one size fits all" just some generic stocks that feel good to some, but not perfect. I did up a CZ 550 in 416 rigby for a friend ( bedding and general fettling) that had one of those hogs back stocks, it hurt him each time he shot it, the simple act of putting a wedge in to change the angle of the recoil pad turned it into a different gun to shoot.
gumpy

What has worked for me learning to handle heavy recoil is to shoot often but only a few rounds at a session. I shoot 22 LR between heavy recoil rounds. Practice dry firing often only an occasional round off the bench. Off hand, off the sticks, and kneeling. Has worked for me sixty plus years using a wide variety of heavy recoil cartridges.

When shooting a 338LM suppressed I hated it. The shove felt 1' long it is the only time I have ever been scoped by a rifle. I would never attempt to try it with anything bigger.

Besides that the weight and length of the can required to handle the pressure and volume of gas would be rather large and unwieldy.
There are many .375's being suppressed these days. I am perplexed by your experience.

When shooting a 338LM suppressed I hated it. The shove felt 1' long it is the only time I have ever been scoped by a rifle. I would never attempt to try it with anything bigger.

Besides that the weight and length of the can required to handle the pressure and volume of gas would be rather large and unwieldy.
I missed this the first time around. Were you shooting prone? My friend designed a rifle with a large over barrel suppressor in 338lap for military trials and that was fairly tame to shoot
gumpy

My wife had shot her .375 H&H Win M-70 for about ten years with no perceived problem. She had attempted her Zimbabwe National Parks shooting test and failed each time by 1 point. She finally got her custom .404J rifle. She passed her test first time. For the accuracy part of the test she shot from the prone. The whole time she was being seriously harassed by one of the test officers,

Lon

My wife had shot her .375 H&H Win M-70 for about ten years with no perceived problem. She had attempted her Zimbabwe National Parks shooting test and failed each time by 1 point. She finally got her custom .404J rifle. She passed her test first time. For the accuracy part of the test she shot from the prone. The whole time she was being seriously harassed by one of the test officers,

Lon

Did she shoot him afterwards? lol

The getting scoped part I suppose. It seems like you are describing more recoil with a suppressor? I've never heard of a bad experience like that with a suppressor. I am not trying to be rude but am genuinely perplexed.
There are certainly more and more big bore suppressors on the market now and are widely used in South Africa as well. I hope to acquire one soon.

I've been scoped once shooting my Browning A Bolt .338WM from the prone position. Through a free lottery, I drew one of ten slots for a waiting list for a "cull" cow tag to hunt the Alamos National Wildlife refuge here in Colorado. It's Federal property so they had a qualification course in September. To qualify, one had to put three out of five shots in an 8" bull ring at 150yds., using NO support. NO bipods or sticks allowed. Only slings. I hadn't practiced from the prone position before because it's a useless shooting position hunting elk here in the mountains with the tall grass, aspens and downfalls. First shot from prone I got scoped BAD and bled profusely above my right eye but the shot was in the bull. I had practiced a LOT using a sling and the next two shots from a sitting position were in the bull. No more prone for me! LOL

When your retinas start falling apart, your theories on relativity will fall apart too. Been there. You better know the symptoms. All the money in the world won't buy you new retinas if you wreck what you have. I can now scrape out 20/50 corrected in my left eye if the optometrist gives me several minutes to read the line. But I could never drive or shoot with it. No way. I can see with that eye but my brain can't tell what I'm seeing. Just bits and pieces. Too much scar tissue. I'm thankful I have any vision at all. At one time the prognosis for both eyes was black ... literally not figuratively.
Been there with the detached retina! Auto accident 10 yrs ago and then woke a few yrs later and everything was very blurry out of my left eye, and I shoot left-handed....once you have a detached retina, it's always going to be weaker if you are fortunate enough to get it fixed.
I can see well enough, however a 375R is the heaviest recoiling rifle I own now.

The getting scoped part I suppose. It seems like you are describing more recoil with a suppressor? I've never heard of a bad experience like that with a suppressor. I am not trying to be rude but am genuinely perplexed.
There are certainly more and more big bore suppressors on the market now and are widely used in South Africa as well. I hope to acquire one soon.

I'm not taking it as rude, no worries their.

Most of my rifles 30cal and down have a suppressor on them or I have the ability to move one to another. All of the suppressor that I currently own (in my possession, still have some at dealer). All have more push than a rifle with a brake. Nothing crazy, when you are looking for impacts at 300-400 yards shooting bullets at 3k+ fps. I can see the difference, this is a match setting, don't want to set the wrong stage. Now with that said, a suppressor is less recoil than a bear muzzle.

I'm not one 100% certain of the can that was used on the 338LM. It basically happened to me 3 X. 2 of the 3 were with the same rig, it was a Barratt Mrad. The other was a custom builder that I don't remember. I told several of my shooting partners that were in the match with me to put on your glasses, before you shoot that rig. Several of them thanked me for the warning afterwards. To the best of my knowledge both of those cans were over 12" in length. That could have something to do with it. It could be that most of us were shooting 18-20# 6mm rifles with brakes on them that have very little recoil to deal with. Or a combination of all the above (everytime we shot it was prone).

TBAC is building a can with a brake on the end of it. This is for their 50cal line. I have seen one made in 30cal, I have an email into them to put me on the list when they come to market. It will be a few points higher than the plain can with the recoil impulse reduced significantly. I have an Area 419 Maverick in jail right now and will order the TBAC today if they were to say it was ready (I feel TBAC makes some of the best, Ray and Zack are also shooters).

Shooting from the sticks might not be as bad. Depending on who makes the can, will impact the performance of sound and recoil impulse. I'm a little basis, I shoot a lot of matches and I look for advantages. If I can watch my impacts up close, I can't make connections. So take my thoughts with a gain of salt. I'm very picky about some of these things for the reasons listed. I'm not a master at any of this, I do send a lot of rounds down range.

Before my Africa trip, the biggest rifle I owned was a 338LM. I have not had the opportunity to shoot a suppressed 375cal or up. So I am assuming what it would feel like based on my experience with everything I have shot at this point. Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

I don't shoot big bores prone period. I think my 500 Jeffery would break my collarbone. Off hand it's fun as hell. From a bench less so.
Yeah, you'd die shooting a cartridge like that from prone. Or at least I would. LOL

Most of my rifles 30cal and down have a suppressor on them or I have the ability to move one to another. All of the suppressor that I currently own (in my possession, still have some at dealer). All have more push than a rifle with a brake. Nothing crazy, when you are looking for impacts at 300-400 yards shooting bullets at 3k+ fps. I can see the difference, this is a match setting, don't want to set the wrong stage. Now with that said, a suppressor is less recoil than a bear muzzle.

I'm not one 100% certain of the can that was used on the 338LM. It basically happened to me 3 X. 2 of the 3 were with the same rig, it was a Barratt Mrad. The other was a custom builder that I don't remember. I told several of my shooting partners that were in the match with me to put on your glasses, before you shoot that rig. Several of them thanked me for the warning afterwards. To the best of my knowledge both of those cans were over 12" in length. That could have something to do with it. It could be that most of us were shooting 18-20# 6mm rifles with brakes on them that have very little recoil to deal with. Or a combination of all the above (everytime we shot it was prone).

TBAC is building a can with a brake on the end of it. This is for their 50cal line. I have seen one made in 30cal, I have an email into them to put me on the list when they come to market. It will be a few points higher than the plain can with the recoil impulse reduced significantly. I have an Area 419 Maverick in jail right now and will order the TBAC today if they were to say it was ready (I feel TBAC makes some of the best, Ray and Zack are also shooters).

Shooting from the sticks might not be as bad. Depending on who makes the can, will impact the performance of sound and recoil impulse. I'm a little basis, I shoot a lot of matches and I look for advantages. If I can watch my impacts up close, I can't make connections. So take my thoughts with a gain of salt. I'm very picky about some of these things for the reasons listed. I'm not a master at any of this, I do send a lot of rounds down range.

Before my Africa trip, the biggest rifle I owned was a 338LM. I have not had the opportunity to shoot a suppressed 375cal or up. So I am assuming what it would feel like based on my experience with everything I have shot at this point. Just want to make sure we are on the same page.

Said TBAC can with the brake.

Screenshot_20240111_181401_Chrome.jpg

Thanks and I am a TBAC fan as well!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!