"Big Bore" Gunsmith?

shuter

AH enthusiast
Joined
Nov 5, 2014
Messages
365
Reaction score
222
Website
www.roboliveauthor.com
Media
16
Hunted
Oregon, Montana
Hey guys, in anticipation of my new arrival - a .458 Lott Ruger RSM (!) - is there a particular gunsmith who's known to do good work on this type of rifle, based on your experience? I'd be looking for a proper bedding job (added cross bolt?), proper recoil pad install, and proper Graco mercury recoil reducer install. I know that bedding is a big deal on the hard kickers.

I've heard a lot of good about AHR, but it looks like they only do CZ's? Anyway, thanks in advance for any input.
 
I think Hill Country Rifles in Texas does a fair amount of work and I had then tweak my .375. Work turned out ok and the gun shoots sub inch. My scope does go right up to the open bolt, which I don't think. They chose the rings and could have made a better fitting choice.

I would use them again for a really special project though and they get good reviews overall.
 
Rob let me know what you come up with.... I'd love to install a mercury tube but a bit scared to let just anybody do it.... Those were $1000 stocks back when those guns were made...

Do check that angled screw under the floor plate to be sure it is tight before firing, and snug up the others as well. They do have a metal plate under the barrel and I'm not quite sure how that effects bedding.
I tore my fist one all down but having trouble remembering exactly what the bedding system was like? I do believe it all fit pretty well.
 
Rob let me know what you come up with.... I'd love to install a mercury tube but a bit scared to let just anybody do it.... Those were $1000 stocks back when those guns were made...

Do check that angled screw under the floor plate to be sure it is tight before firing, and snug up the others as well. They do have a metal plate under the barrel and I'm not quite sure how that effects bedding.
I tore my fist one all down but having trouble remembering exactly what the bedding system was like? I do believe it all fit pretty well.
Bob, I will be sending mine out this week to a fellow named Ken Brooks on the Oregon coast. He's been at it for 25 years and actually makes some of the AGI Gunsmithing instructional videos. He's a "Mauser specialist", which obviously covers derivatives such as Rugers, CZ's, etc. I met him at the SHOT show in January and called him the other day about my project. I will forward pics and my thoughts when I get it back from him, but I'm excited after talking to him and knowing his level of experience.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,323
Messages
1,572,904
Members
169,637
Latest member
HalOsulliv
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top