Best double rifle for the money $$

We are blessed in South Africa as we have an abundance of doubles and the exchange rate favours US buyers at R15 to a dollar. To import it that's the bummer. For Eg I know of two unfired 500NE a Merkel and a Heym for less than $10000

We are blessed in South Africa as we have an abundance of doubles and the exchange rate favours US buyers at R15 to a dollar. To import it that's the bummer. For Eg I know of two unfired 500NE a Merkel and a Heym for less than $10000

Is the Heym an 88B model?

I was considering buying a double rifle, and want to stay under 10K. I have been looking around, and that seems very possible. What is the opinion on a double in 470 NE? I have looked online only, no where close to actually handle a double.

Edward,

I am a complete rookie in this type of caliber of gun, however recently I was able to handle and shoot a Merkel .470 NE. It felt great, shouldered great, and the kick was not too bad. Best of luck in your search for a double

Last edited:
Thank you all, look forward to all suggestions. I looked for Sabatti doubles and found a OU in 470 NE, but wonder what the OU would be like as a rifle. I have shot OU shotguns., but never a rifle. Anyone here have experience with an OU?

I'm in between double rifles right now but I am VERY close to buying my next one. I am very impressed with the O/U rifles I have handled. The seem to be very accurate and handle very well. Some people make a big deal about the amount of gape when the rifle is open for reloading. The argument being that the slightly wider gape of an O/U rifle slows the reload. Maybe, but if the gun has ejectors a reload can be done so fast that I hardly think there is much perceivable difference. O/U double rifles may well be superior in many ways to SxS double rifles so really it is a matter of personal preference.

SxS doubles LOOK sexy and are preferred by many. They are just classic and romantic. The O/U's have a lot going for them. I love the O/U's and eventually I'll have several probably. But my very next will probably be a SxS. The one after that an O/U. That's where I'm leaning at the moment,

I like Verney Carron's and in an O/U you can get a nice one for $10,000 or less, you'll just have to not go overboard on the upgrades. VC is a GREAT company. They are not cheap but they are a still a great deal. $30,000 will buy you a rifle that is just as nice as a $130,000 rifle from London, IMO.

I also LOVE Chapuis and Merkel.

Also on Sabatti's. The new production guns are excellent. Wholesale Hunter is selling a wide variety of models and calibers and backing them with an accuracy guarantee. I've owned a 9.3x74R and it was great. Just shop around and don't over pay. Some dealers are asking too much, but that is a common affliction.

Thank you all, look forward to all suggestions. I looked for Sabatti doubles and found a OU in 470 NE, but wonder what the OU would be like as a rifle. I have shot OU shotguns., but never a rifle. Anyone here have experience with an OU?
I have an O/U Merkel in 450NE With ejectors. Not my first choice as nostalgia would rather have a classic SxS.
But hey I am not complaining - doubles a double and regulation is so much easier making longer shots possible, I can still hit 1" at 100 metres. Going to try out to 150m with 350grainers.

As for reloading - what @Ignatius of Antioch said. Practice is what it really takes to be faster.

i lucked out with my sabatti double in 9.3x74r,glad im a handgun hunter,dont have all those i want problems,he,he.

Edward, YES! The "Wants" of the double rifle addiction are pricey. They sure are a pleasure though. The 9.3x74R Sabatti's are a great round in a nice, relatively affordable package. And a 9.3 is a very formidable cartridge. You've got a great rifle there, very fun and versatile.

Fr8liner your Merkel 450 NE sounds like an interesting gun. That is one hell of a cartridge. Lighter recoil than a 470 NE, with better penetration. Lots of reloading components available. Merkel is one of my favorite makers too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross