Best balls

At the risk of sounding ignorant (which I am of a great many things) what are sweetbreads?
As somebody else pointed out, it's usually the pancreas, but it could be the thymus gland as well (located in the throat). I don't believe I've ever had thymus.

Pancreas is usually fairly fatty, often a higher fat content than a prime ribeye. Considering all the fat, you'd think pancreas would be tender. The texture is chewy, not far off from being as chewy as chicken gizzards.

Unlike liver, which can be off-putting with its iron-rich flavor and its crumbly texture; or kidneys which can be off-putting if the guy cooking it hasn't done a thorough job of cleaning (you can get a taste of urine if not done properly) or removing connective tissue; there is nothing off-putting about pancreas sweetbreads unless you just don't like chewy texture.

Pancreas is usually so fatty it does a really good job of picking up the flavor of whatever you're cooking it in (butter or bacon grease work best, IMO) and the herbs/spices you seasoned it with. It's a good beef flavor, so salt and pepper is all I usually add.

If you're feeling a bit daring, find a butcher shop that sells sweetbreads. You won't likely pay more than $7 or $8 for a pound. If you don't like it, you can always throw it in the garbage and be out very little money. I get mine from a butcher shop over in Rosenberg, Texas, about 10 minutes from where I live.

Last edited:
A good friend of mine here in GA took over his dad tradition of hosting a Wild Game Dinner among his friends. This year one of the most exotic/weird was Turkey balls. Yup, and I didn’t know Turkeys had balls. :ROFLMAO: They were amazing.

View attachment 605721
I've eaten "turkey balls" but they were ground turkey meat formed into meat balls. At least that's what I was told. I hope it was true.

If you order “mollejas” en South America it will normally be thymus gland. No one can prepare them better than an Argentinian. It is a delicacy that I cannot get enough of. A proper parrilla should have chorizo, morcilla, chinchulines and mollejas as starters. :D

I am not put off by any “unusual” cuisine. I think I made that clear on another thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. However, I have never found testicles to be a particularly good dish, but more of a joke dish. Maybe I haven’t had them prepared properly.

My favorite offal that I eat regularly: heart, liver, intestines (fried or grilled), mondongo (stomach), pancreas, tongue, kidneys, morcilla (blood sausage) and mollejas (thymus gland). I think I could fill in for Andrew Zimmern. :LOL:

Safe travels and stay hungry my friends!

If you order “mollejas” en South America it will normally be thymus gland. No one can prepare them better than an Argentinian. It is a delicacy that I cannot get enough of. A proper parrilla should have chorizo, morcilla, chinchulines and mollejas as starters. :D

I am not put off by any “unusual” cuisine. I think I made that clear on another thread. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. However, I have never found testicles to be a particularly good dish, but more of a joke dish. Maybe I haven’t had them prepared properly.

My favorite offal that I eat regularly: heart, liver, intestines (fried or grilled), mondongo (stomach), pancreas, tongue, kidneys, morcilla (blood sausage) and mollejas (thymus gland). I think I could fill in for Andrew Zimmern. :LOL:

stepbrothers_best_friends.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
As somebody else pointed out, it's usually the pancreas, but it could be the thymus gland as well (located in the throat). I don't believe I've ever had thymus.

Pancreas is usually fairly fatty, often a higher fat content than a prime ribeye. Considering all the fat, you'd think pancreas would be tender. The texture is chewy, not far off from being as chewy as chicken gizzards.

Unlike liver, which can be off-putting with its iron-rich flavor and its crumbly texture; or kidneys which can be off-putting if the guy cooking it hasn't done a thorough job of cleaning (you can get a taste of urine if not done properly) or removing connective tissue; there is nothing off-putting about pancreas sweetbreads unless you just don't like chewy texture.

Pancreas is usually so fatty it does a really good job of picking up the flavor of whatever you're cooking it in (butter or bacon grease work best, IMO) and the herbs/spices you seasoned it with. It's a good beef flavor, so salt and pepper is all I usually add.

If you're feeling a bit daring, find a butcher shop that sells sweetbreads. You won't likely pay more than $7 or $8 for a pound. If you don't like it, you can always throw it in the garbage and be out very little money. I get mine from a butcher shop over in Rosenberg, Texas, about 10 minutes from where I live.
When we lived in Napa, we used to eat in a small Basque restaurant that made the best sweetbreads, or at least the best I've eaten.

This thread reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite movies and the famous Hannibal Lector quote, “A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti.”

I’m with @Red Leg on this subject. I don’t eat organs and especially not the blood filter!

Or Hannibal Lector!

I have this recipe book. Give it a whirl. The idea of offal is off-putting to many, but most of it is way better than you imagine it to be. I'm still not a fan of calf or chicken liver, but I absolutely love venison liver.

Two organs that I find especially tasty are pancreas (sweetbreads) and spleen. Spleen has a flavor reminiscent of liver, but a much firmer texture. Heart, when prepared well, is also really good. It's all muscle, so not really an organ the way we think of organs. It can be pretty tough, but it's easy enough to tenderize it.

Nose to Tail
I’ve eaten lamb testicles as a kid on our sheep & cattle properties . Not a fan . Crumbed lamb’s brains . Not a fan . Stuffed heart . Again not a fan . But I love tripe , kidneys ,liver and tongue. I have a great English cook book put out by the “Two Fat Ladies” who had a TV show in the 1990s . There is a recipe for stuffed bull’s penis . I am yet to try it . One bull’s penis will feed 24 people .

I’ve eaten lamb testicles as a kid on our sheep & cattle properties . Not a fan . Crumbed lamb’s brains . Not a fan . Stuffed heart . Again not a fan . But I love tripe , kidneys ,liver and tongue. I have a great English cook book put out by the “Two Fat Ladies” who had a TV show in the 1990s . There is a recipe for stuffed bull’s penis . I am yet to try it . One bull’s penis will feed 24 people .
For those who want to try Penis Stew here is the book and recipe . On a serious note the “Two Fat Ladies “ put out quite a few cook books - all with fantastic English game recipes .

IMG_3669.jpeg
IMG_3670.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nothing like fresh buff balls from the veld to the braai on the same day! A true delicacy!

BuffBalls2.jpg

BuffBalls.jpg

Speaking of throwaway parts, I ate menudo for the first time yesterday. It tasted like a sale barn smells. Wasn’t terrible.

I don't eat any funky animal parts. Heart, liver, balls, kidney, tongue, and especially balls.
I grew up on a farm, and Grandma cooked that funky stuff, and it grossed me out.
Nothing but lean prime cuts for me.

I don't eat any funky animal parts. Heart, liver, balls, kidney, tongue, and especially balls.
I grew up on a farm, and Grandma cooked that funky stuff, and it grossed me out.
Nothing but lean prime cuts for me.
I've always prided myself on eating most anything anyone else will eat, but can't get around the idea of eating anything that holds shit (intestine) or piss (kidney).

I've always prided myself on eating most anything anyone else will eat, but can't get around the idea of eating anything that holds shit (intestine) or piss (kidney).
Kidneys are easy to cook. Just boil the Piss out of them!!!!

I cant get around the idea of eating anything that has been floating around in reproductive baby batter.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akhan7000

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

another great review

EDELWEISS wrote on bowjijohn's profile.
Thanks again for your support on the Rhodesian Shotgun thread. From the amount of "LIKES" it received, it appears there was only ONE person who objected. Hes also the same one who continually insisted on interjecting his posts that werent relevant to the thread.
sierraone wrote on AZDAVE's profile.
Dave if you copy this, call me I can't find your number.

David Hodo
Sierraone
We fitted a new backup generator for the Wildgoose lodge!
one of our hunters had to move his hunt to next year we have an opening first week of September, shoot me a message!