Balistix bullets from SA?

jpr9954

Bronze supporter
AH legend
Joined
Feb 16, 2021
Messages
3,852
Reaction score
33,984
Location
North Carolina
Articles
6
Member of
NRA, SAF, SCI, DSC
Hunted
South Africa
I stumbled across these monolithic copper bullets made in South Africa by Balistix Bullets.

http://balistixbullets.com/home/

Has anyone ever used them? Do you think they'd be importable to the US? They look interesting with their rebated boat-tail. I notice they have two styles for hunting - one for shorter range and the other for longer ranges.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.01.11 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.01.11 PM.png
    4.5 MB · Views: 393
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.01.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.01.13 PM.png
    550 KB · Views: 279
  • Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.01.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-03-19 at 5.01.15 PM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 274
I can't really say to much about them as my testing sample is limited to two Warthogs and one Impala. Will be testing them hopefully on Kudu and Blue Wildebeest next week (Provided our Lockdown rules stay the same.)
 
Looks interesting. The rebate reminds me of the scenar and the Palma bullets where folks are anticipating the transonic barrier. Interesting thought in a hunting bullet. This when or design leaves me with questions about drag and BC.
 
Guess I would report back on my experience with the Balistix bullets from last week.

In total 5 animals were shot x2 Blue Wildebeest, x2 Kudu's and x1 warthog. All of them were pass throughs except for two.

Big Bluewildebeest bull shot on the shoulder the bullet was recovered just under the skin on the opposite side (123.PNG)

155gr Balistix Ultrahunt from 308
Muzzle Velocity: 2670
Retained Weight: 155gr (100%)
Distance: 88m

Recovered from a Warthog shot in the head facing me. The bullet was recovered in the right back leg/ham. (1234.PNG)

155gr Balistix Ultrahunt from 308
Muzzle Velocity: 2670
Retained Weight: 154.9gr (99.9%)
Distance: +-50m

I'm still new to the monolithic side of things the mushroom (expansion) did seem to be a little on the small side not sure if this is actually normal or just by these bullets design.

123.PNG
1234.PNG
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
70,440
Messages
1,576,434
Members
170,584
Latest member
RevaLovely
 

 

 

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top