Bad Boy Melvin

CBH Australia

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Sporting Shooters Association Australia, Africa Hunting website!!!
Hunted
Australia and now South Africa
So as not to derail a thread on Bobby’s favourite topic I thought I might jump on start another for fun.

So BadBoyMelvin has started a thread on his . 243, nice.My wife has one, that’s nothin against Russ but kinda funny.

@Kiwifire111 helped Russ out because he can and because they have been mates for a while.

Now I’ve met Bob and hunted with Russ. Russell thought I may have known Mal through another forum but I didn’t. I had no idea who he was when he came up on facebook. Anyways we’ve met by FaceTime now.

Well Bob was doing Bob a trash talkin the 2fourty3 again and I find it funny. Wind him up and watch him go I reckon.

Well Bob, well he got up in full flight and reminded us all he’s not a fan of the .243 ahh, I’m not convinced it’s all that bad. But don’t let me stop him putting on a show cause I think it’s funny. But Bob did what Bob does and put in a plug for the .35 Whelen

Anyway as for BAD BOY MELVIN. Bad boy yeah. He has a .425 WhoppemStoppem because like many of our Mexican friends who live south of the border live their Sambar Slayers. They say some like put them down with authority but I like to say Sit them on their ass. Same thing we are talking about stopping Sambar where they are standing. Another Mexican mate has a pest business and is a keen hunter. He uses a big calibre wants them to stay dead because they are often in thick scrub. I haven’t seen Sambar in the wild but they are a big ugly animal that is elusive and it, well it Honks at you. But the good thing is they are made from meat and are considered good eating and there is a lot to chew through just on one animal alone.

I think the .425 is to keep the bad boy rep and street cred as I think I have more bad habits than him. Truth is he looks like a saint alongside me and the only bad habits I have are that I drink and cuss.

Anyway they are a good bunch no matter of their likes, dislikes they have a common interest and a sense of humour.

Raise a toast to the .243win

On another note, Bob when you find this post indulge us with your wisdom, show us your age and give an honest opinion on what sporting cartridges and rifle’s were both popular and common back in the day in Australia.

Please leave .303 post war variants out of the equation. I’m not interested in the very popular .303-25 conversion or other .303 variants I’m talking sporting cartridges that were developed for hunting purposes and had new factory rifles available in the said chamberings.

I have a sneaking suspicion that .222rem and .243win would have been both popular and common in Australia back in the day.

I am inclined to think the popularity of the .308 and .223 popularity came about with the availability of cheap ex military ammo then availability.

Is “Mexican” slang for someone from Victoria?

Does that make Dr. Ray a Canadian?

Asides, I thought Russ was asking for it when he posted about his new toy (Actually it’s a pretty cool little pop gun). Luckily it’s too short for a tomato stake. Maybe he’s “Bad Boy Melvin” because he flaunts something other than a 35 Whelen???

Can’t wait for Bob to chime in. :D Pop Popcorn:

@BourbonTrail the good doctor is from Queensland. That’s north of the border for me.
I think he is based in the capital of QLD Brisbane .

In a small city in QLD called Bundaberg they make Bundaberg Rum . If you like that American whisky, Bourbon etc. you may not like Rum. But, spoiler alert I do not drink American whisky.

Uncle Bob and I live on opposing sides of the rip off state.Officially known as New South Wales (NSW)

Unofficially the N, S and W actually stand for Newcastle, Sydney and Wollongong. These are 3 cities located on the East coast of NSW. As I live in Far West NSW we find that people in the city do not really know their geography. I’m 800 miles west and they just do not get that 3/4 of the state and maybe 5% of state population lies beyond what is west of the Great Dividing Range. A significant land mark.

So as not to derail a thread on Bobby’s favourite topic I thought I might jump on start another for fun.

So BadBoyMelvin has started a thread on his . 243, nice.My wife has one, that’s nothin against Russ but kinda funny.

@Kiwifire111 helped Russ out because he can and because they have been mates for a while.

Now I’ve met Bob and hunted with Russ. Russell thought I may have known Mal through another forum but I didn’t. I had no idea who he was when he came up on facebook. Anyways we’ve met by FaceTime now.

Well Bob was doing Bob a trash talkin the 2fourty3 again and I find it funny. Wind him up and watch him go I reckon.

Well Bob, well he got up in full flight and reminded us all he’s not a fan of the .243 ahh, I’m not convinced it’s all that bad. But don’t let me stop him putting on a show cause I think it’s funny. But Bob did what Bob does and put in a plug for the .35 Whelen

Anyway as for BAD BOY MELVIN. Bad boy yeah. He has a .425 WhoppemStoppem because like many of our Mexican friends who live south of the border live their Sambar Slayers. They say some like put them down with authority but I like to say Sit them on their ass. Same thing we are talking about stopping Sambar where they are standing. Another Mexican mate has a pest business and is a keen hunter. He uses a big calibre wants them to stay dead because they are often in thick scrub. I haven’t seen Sambar in the wild but they are a big ugly animal that is elusive and it, well it Honks at you. But the good thing is they are made from meat and are considered good eating and there is a lot to chew through just on one animal alone.

I think the .425 is to keep the bad boy rep and street cred as I think I have more bad habits than him. Truth is he looks like a saint alongside me and the only bad habits I have are that I drink and cuss.

Anyway they are a good bunch no matter of their likes, dislikes they have a common interest and a sense of humour.

On another note, Bob when you find this post indulge us with your wisdom, show us your age and give an honest opinion on what sporting cartridges and rifle’s were both popular and common back in the day in Australia.

Please leave .303 post war variants out of the equation. I’m not interested in the very popular .303-25 conversion or other .303 variants I’m talking sporting cartridges that were developed for hunting purposes and had new factory rifles available in the said chamberings.

I have a sneaking suspicion that .222rem and .243win would have been both popular and common in Australia back in the day.

I am inclined to think the popularity of the .308 and .223 popularity came about with the availability of cheap ex military ammo then availability.
@CBH Australia
Chris
Back when I started shooting in the 70s the popular cartridges with the people I hung out with were the 22 Hornet, 222rem, 22-250 and a few model 96 Swedes in 6.5x55. Sorry but there were a few 303s and 303-25s as we couldn't afford the classy rifles. Back then rabbits, foxes and pigs were the main game as deer were the domain of the elite because there were very few back then and those that hunted them were very secretive if their location. We didn't see the need for any cartridge bigger than we had. It wasn't until the 90s I came across the 243 and all that noise and power was regarded as showy and unnecessary. Even back then people were wounding game with it because they didn't understand they needed better bullets for the game they hunted like pigs. They thought because it made a lot of noise it must be good and couldn't understand why the old 303-25 was killing game when their new fangled noise maker wouldn't work as well. We were younger and more ignorant back then and unfortunately some people are still the same nowadays.
Hell even my father used to say the 303 was to big for anything except buffalo. It had to much power for the average shooter in his book and he shot buff and crocs with one back in the day for a living with one.
The average shooter was well served with the Hornet and 222 for everything we shot.
Fuller fire arms bought in a lot of Swedes and even marketed the sporterized 6.5 carcano as the 6.5 westerner to try and sell them. I even bought a semi auto 30-06 Johnson at one stage. Lovely rifle but absolutely useless for hunting but fun to play with. I tried a 94 in 30-30 until I pinched my finger betwixt the lever and trigger and it went down the road very quickly after that .
Hope thad gives you an idea of what my friends and I used in the days of yore
Bob

@CBH Australia
To continue from my post
Way back when projectiles we used were mainly the Australian made Tipans. They were just a basic cup and core bullet but they did the job. There were a few Speer and Sierra projectiles around and a spattering of Hornady but these were expensive compared to the Tipans. Back then I did a lot of my reloads in a simplex 3 station press and that only neck sized the cases. That was fine for a few loads after that a mate had an O frame press that I could run my cases thru to bring them back to size. Trimming was done with a trim die and a fine file. Powders back then were mainly reloader and Nobels rifle powders with a small amount of ADI powders like 2201 that went on to become 2206 then 2206H.
To reload for my 303 &303-25 the cases were decapped using a hydraulic de- capper and used RWS Berdan primers. Those 135 gn 303 Tipans and 25 cal 100gn Tipans were dynamite on pigs. A lot of pigs and goats also fell to my 22-250 using 70 gn Speer semi Spitzer's designed for use in the 22-250 for use on whitetail deer.
The 87 gn soft nose Tipans were dynamite on Roo's and goats but would cut a fox in two.
Back in the late 70s fox skins were at a premium and the 22mag, Hornet and 222 reigned supreme. Then Remington bought out the 17 rem and fox hunters fell in love with it.
With the introduction of the 223 the good old 222 was made redundant virtually overnight because of cheap ex military ammo. People also had a brief love affair with the SSK and SKS in 7.62x 39.
They were popular because both rifle and ammo was cheap. I knew one person that bought an SSK and a pallet of ammo, yes you read right a pallet. I think it was something like 10,000 rounds. Holly shit we had some fun with that thing. Absolutely useless on pigs because of the military ammo but people thought if'n you put enough bullets in them they died. Pigs were plentiful and a pest back then.
That is one time I really enjoyed to good old days. Game was plentiful, people didn't worry if you had a gun as it was normal. I could walk into a shop buy a rifle and walk out, go down the steet and put it in my car and no one would give you a second look. Sometimes you would have someone ask you about it and you would sit on a bench in the main street with you rifle and talk guns and hunting. Ah those were the days.

Now we have a world full of fear mongers and fuckwits that want to disarm us. Don't get me started on political correctness and the woke society or the me 2 movement. They do more harm than a sensible person with a gun. If'n you think I hate the 243 just try and start a conversation with me on PC, wokeism or the me 2 movement and you could end up with very sore ears listening to me on those subjects.
Bob

I came along in the 70’s. 1972,
I don’t think Dad needed a licence to get my air rifle around 1980’
I needed a licence in 1990 at 18, I got an SKS and some Norinco ammo. That moved on pretty quick then I had the .222 and was well aware of the .243, .22-250etc. My brother had a .303 and I remember the 6.5x55 Swede being widely available in sporterised versions.

I still think those with means would have had .243 and other factory sporters.

In the early 90’s I could have bought any semi auto in South Australia back then but apprentice wages hobbled my dreams of owning an SLR. $2500 back then. A AR15 was around the same, probably just early versions of the original AR15’s. They seem to sell around $6000 now if you can hold one. That’s a “Prohibited Weapons” permit here in the Rip off state.

Almost bought a .303 last year but I didn’t chase it up soon enough. We have a club shoot once a year.

The Tikka .222 served me well until I was distracted by new and shiny and I had a fairly limited budget and limited shooting at the time.

Things role around and I still think the .308 makes sense in Australia just for an affordable round that ticks all the boxes. But I still get distracted by other varieties too.

I could probably live with a .22lr, .223,.308 & a 12gauge shotgun as the minimum requirement to cover most things a hunter might do in Australia. But, then you start thinking you want a Heavy Barrel .223 for spotlighting, a short 7mm-08 for a truck gun or a .280a,i super lightweight rifle because someone planted a seed . And then of course I have a .375H&H because it’s a classic cartridge and better than a .35Whelen.

I came along in the 70’s. 1972,
I don’t think Dad needed a licence to get my air rifle around 1980’
I needed a licence in 1990 at 18, I got an SKS and some Norinco ammo. That moved on pretty quick then I had the .222 and was well aware of the .243, .22-250etc. My brother had a .303 and I remember the 6.5x55 Swede being widely available in sporterised versions.

I still think those with means would have had .243 and other factory sporters.

In the early 90’s I could have bought any semi auto in South Australia back then but apprentice wages hobbled my dreams of owning an SLR. $2500 back then. A AR15 was around the same, probably just early versions of the original AR15’s. They seem to sell around $6000 now if you can hold one. That’s a “Prohibited Weapons” permit here in the Rip off state.

Almost bought a .303 last year but I didn’t chase it up soon enough. We have a club shoot once a year.

The Tikka .222 served me well until I was distracted by new and shiny and I had a fairly limited budget and limited shooting at the time.

Things role around and I still think the .308 makes sense in Australia just for an affordable round that ticks all the boxes. But I still get distracted by other varieties too.

I could probably live with a .22lr, .223,.308 & a 12gauge shotgun as the minimum requirement to cover most things a hunter might do in Australia. But, then you start thinking you want a Heavy Barrel .223 for spotlighting, a short 7mm-08 for a truck gun or a .280a,i super lightweight rifle because someone planted a seed . And then of course I have a .375H&H because it’s a classic cartridge and better than a .35Whelen.
@CBH Australia
Chris I bought my Johnson for 300 bucks back in the mid 80s. Wish I still had it it would be worth a fair bit now days.
Yes time moves on. I tried quite a few over the years but after close on fifty years the world has come the full circle and I'm back to a22lr, 22 K Hornet and gave my son the 222 rem and he loves it. Accurate and cheap to feed. Then he has the 308 for everything else and I still have a 303 kicking around for nostalgia. Also have thee 12 gauge shotguns. The Mossberg bolt, a nice O/U and the push button Templeton.
Yes as you know I also have the 25 and the Whelen.
After all this to me the more things have changed I've always gone back to the old. What's old is new again to me.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Agirlwithagun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

A.A. wrote on Msprenger!'s profile.
Are you still looking for a 375 H&H?
NRA Life, ASSRA Life, GGCA Life
Sable @ the lodge this morning