Any tips for using iron sights with failing eyesight?

The key is having an adjustable objective lens. Most low power scopes, have an adjustable objective.
Most scopes that I'm familiar with do not have an adjustable Objective lens. The Ocular can be adjusted by turning the lens which is threaded to the main tube in order to adjust it to the shooters eye sight.

Correct.

The original infinite focal-plane camera.

Light transmission is the only constraint, so big enough, as well as small enough, is a consideration.

Why match apertures generally are not the best field choice.

Trade a little clarity for better less than optimal light conditions.

Red
Williams makes a 'Twilight Aperture' that may be a good balance here.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.44.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.44.09 AM.png
    653.7 KB · Views: 24
  • Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.44.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-05-27 at 7.44.10 AM.png
    347.4 KB · Views: 27
I am an excellent shot with a rifle shooting at animals on the fly ... with a scope ... turned to low power....

Have several low power variable scopes and keep them at the bottom unless there is a specific condition that warrants more magnification.

Also have several aperture sighted rifles.

And what I find is - that the aperture sighted rifles are easier to track moving game.

They have a one-to-one kinematic ratio, like pointing a finger.

Jackrabbits with an aperture sighted .22 LR are great practice and not all that difficult.

On the other hand, trying to track with a high magnification scope not only brings the animal "big as life" into the reticle, but also sets up a kinematic ratio equal to the magnification, so very little movement results in a lot of optical displacement, and the animal will "jump" all around in your field of view.

So, with scopes, less is more, and aperture sights are better still.

Red

Have several low power variable scopes and keep them at the bottom unless there is a specific condition that warrants more magnification.

Also have several aperture sighted rifles.

And what I find is - that the aperture sighted rifles are easier to track moving game.

They have a one-to-one kinematic ratio, like pointing a finger.

Jackrabbits with an aperture sighted .22 LR are great practice and not all that difficult.

On the other hand, trying to track with a high magnification scope not only brings the animal "big as life" into the reticle, but also sets up a kinematic ratio equal to the magnification, so very little movement results in a lot of optical displacement, and the animal will "jump" all around in your field of view.

So, with scopes, less is more, and aperture sights are better still.

Red
Absolutely. Last year I was helping my PH cull springbuck on his property. We spotted a herd of them with two "shit rams" worthy of a trip to the butcher. Approaching from the back side of a ridge, we hid behind an ancient rock wall at the crest and watched the springbuck four hundred yards off in the valley below. I wonder who built that feature and why. It was a strange location for a fence line. Fortification? Suddenly PH spots another shit ram climbing our side of the ridge on its way to join the others. "Get ready. He's coming right to us." The ram broke the top of the ridge not thirty yards away on a full run. I shouldered the gun but no shot. Over it went to the other side. My scope was still on 9x from watching the ones in the valley and all I could see was a blob of bobbing hair as the ram ran by. Such a stupid mistake. PH sneaked over the wall and peered over the edge. He quickly set up the sticks and I moved forward. "He stopped at the bottom looking for us. I only see his head. Can you take him?" Sure, nothing to lose. I prefer to shoot management animals in the head or neck anyway. They're just meat. So I shot it in the head ... scope on 3x!

I decided to have that one's skull cleaned and bleached to preserve the story but forgot to tell the taxidermist to leave it as is. They repaired it. Which is to be expected I guess.

Sure, if I'd been using my Springfield's iron sights I might have nailed that ram on the run. But I wouldn't want to try a shot at the others with iron sights if they had wandered to within 300 yards. I think I can get on a running animal faster with a 3x scope than I can with my iron sights. At 3x I don't have to be lined up perfectly to get the crosshairs on it. And at short range, which is the only range for running shots, it doesn't make a huge difference in accuracy if the crosshairs aren't exactly in the center of view. I find that my inclination with my leaf and bead iron sights is to find the bead in the V before finding the animal. Then I have to keep it exactly there which means looking at the sights, then the animal, then the sights. As anyone who does a lot of shooting at moving targets (i.e. wingshooting, clays, etc.) will know, the key is to keep your eye on the target, not the gun (bead or crosshairs). Perhaps a peep or ghost ring is different. I only shot peep briefly in basic training (my service weapon was 1911 handgun) and hated the experience, mostly because steel pot helmet kept pushing glasses down my nose. I still managed expert but just barely.

BATTUE sights usually mean the rear sight is MUCH closer to the front sight--lots easier as the eyes get older...

The 1 moa Trijicon RMR on my double has done wonders for me, in my case it is definitely a big improvement over open sights. A few years ago, before I actually tried a red dot I thought open sights were perfectly adequate. Not any more.
I find the same thing with the RMR. I couldn't keep my double on a paper plate at 50 yards with the irons, before. Now easy, and working on tightening my groups.

I swear it is good for recoil mitigation too, the process seems to be:
Point roughly
Bring the dot to the precise location
Fire.
That second step forces concentration and for me anyway that takes my mind totally off anticipating the recoil. It works!

Most scopes that I'm familiar with do not have an adjustable Objective lens. The Ocular can be adjusted by turning the lens which is threaded to the main tube in order to adjust it to the shooters eye sight.
My bad, that is what I meant - Ocular, not Objective.

lazar surgeries will get the job done,or and a red dot sight.

I was given this suggestion by a fellow shooter as we were discussing this same topic a few years ago, after I started wearing glasses and having problems with firearm sight alignment.

It's a bit of a nuisance, as periodically when cleaning my firearms it will remove the "paint", which is also a good thing, by allowing me to occasionally refresh the "paint" for better visibility.

I use hunter/bright orange fingernail polish on my front sight and white fingernail polish on my rear sight to outline the notch. It also allows me to make consistent and quick, both handgun and rifle, and sight alignment.

I'm due asap according to my optometrist. Eval with the eye doc / surgercial group is scheduled for this fall.

Any particulars on what you had done that would be different than standard distance vision lenses? I turn 74 next month.
I used a very highly rated doctor in Kansas City, he didn’t accept insurance, so the investment was over $15k. I opted for both eyes the same, I only need reading glasses for very close work.
Mike

About 6 months ago one of the guys in our social group had caterac surgery with the right eye corrected for distance and the left for near. He seems to like it so far.

Edit to add: He is right eye dominant where I'm left dominate (shoot righty), so I'm not sure if that is a viable option for me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SylviaSelf

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!